Aging low and mid back.

Seeknelk

WKR
Lifting weights to get stronger is overall one of the most beneficial things you can do to help those issues and general quality of life.
Warm up with primer movements, search "mindpump squat primers on youtube" far better than traditional "warm ups". Its about activating the nervous system. Firing glutes etc.
Deadlifts, especially RDL( romanian deadlift)
Single leg RDL is impressive for finding imbalances and are great even without weights.

Back squats are also a staple.
Lateral sled pulls
Good mornings
Back extensions

Hollow rockers
Superman
Now for bulletproofing the knees. Check out kneesovertoesguy on youtube. Slowly progress into his program and your knees will thank you. Its actually amazing stuff. With all this info today, all we need is consistency and discipline.

Rob5589

WKR
I agree with this and Yoga. Another thing that helps with back pain is a strong core. Do ab and oblique exercises. A stronger core takes pressure off of your low back. There are alot of low impact exercises on youtube for core.

I was in a bad car accident 8 years ago. Messed my lower back up. After 4 months of physical therapy they sent me on my way and gave me a regiment of core strengthening activities. Stretching, planks, squats, some band exercises and what not. The stronger my core got the better my back got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A strong core cannot be stressed enough when you have an ailing back. Planks and farmer carry are what works for me.

It also helps if you know exactly what your back problem is. I fought chronic lower back pain and bulging discs for years before I had an MRI and found out that I had spondylolisthesis (one of the lower vertebrae slips forward onto the bone below it) in my lumbar region. Once I found out the problem and did some research, I realized that some of the commonly recommended back and core exercises that I had been doing were actually making my problem worse. I now have a routine of stretching, core exercises, and back exercises that keeps me (relatively) pain free. Roman chair hyperextension sit-ups have been a game changer for me. YouTube physical therapy and yoga videos have also been helpful.

WKR
There has to be some low impact strengthening for my back that can get me feeling less worthless, for lack of a better word.

Bridging.

Start with the type of low bridge that is used in physical therapy: https://www.physio-pedia.com/Bridging

Then progress to harder variations: https://totalworkout.fitness/en/exercise/10086

If you decide to try Yoga, some Yoga postures involve bridging or back arching: https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/bridge-pose/

If you progress to some sort of back extension machine or barbell deadlift variation, keep bridging in your program for warmup and mobility.

If you really want to go advanced: https://www.daniwinksflexibility.com/bendy-blog/the-ultimate-bridge-pose-progression-guide

Last edited:
I have (had?) an L4-L5 and L5-S1 disc issue. Yoga is the only thing that keeps me going. You don't have to tell anyone you do it, but it honestly kept me from the operating table after I swallowed my pride.

Chuckybmd

WKR
I’ll be 40 this year but about five years ago, had a serious back injury that left me with foot drop. I was able to rehabilitate and I am probably 95%. Pain is better now.

I think the best thing that I have figured out is getting a consistent routine. Working out regularly because it feels good rather, than many other reasons, such as weight loss, muscle mass, endurance. Those things will all come later, but you need to find a routine that you want to follow.

Perhaps the most important thing is consider hiring an expert to work with you. A lot of people can describe exercises and such, but if you have a certified personal trainer or a physical therapist to work with, it’s worth the money. They can watch you exercise and make sure that you’re doing it right. Might even give you pointers on how to reduce the likelihood of future injury based on the way you move.

I chose to work with a personal trainer, and they integrate strength mobility and endurance into the program, and it has been worth every penny. The other big factor is accountability. I have a lot of reasons in my schedule that I can make excuses not to go. Knowing that someone is there waiting for me keeps me accountable.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Ha, nice thread bump. Wonder how the OP is doing?

Just chiming in to say that I also used to tweak my back and had bulging disc issues (lightning bolts up the nerves kind of pain) and as counterintuitive as it may seem (it did to me at first).....strengthening the back (and posterior chain really) with heavy squats and deadlifts has completely fixed it, even as I head into my mid 40's now. When I first had problems I was maybe 30, way too young to start having debilitating back issues, but I was just weak. Skinny and light, worked out (typical **** around with weights at the gym and running) but still weak. Now I'm 30+ lbs heavier, somewhat strong and getting stronger, but I can deadlift 400 and squatting in the mid 300's and lower back pain is a total non-issue, just not something I ever think about anymore. And when it comes to hunting, hiking with a pack has never been easier.

Check out Starting Strength OP!

OP
Buckshot85
I'm still here and reading these.
My back issues lessened some when I did a different job at work for awhile, but have returned now I'm doing my same old job.
I'll be 56 shortly and my low back is still fragile.
Riding my Harley was always a time to get away. Now I know I'll hurt for a day afterwards.
Same with lifting or pushing anything heavy. I know I'll be sore the next 2 days.
And, like a lot of things I could be way more diligent on strengthening. Seems when I get home after sweating in the shop all day I just want to sit down. I'm sure an MRI would tell me what I need to know, but at the same time, I don't want to know. If that makes any sense.
I appreciate all the advice. Like a lot of things in life, the mindset is what controls the outcome. I'm a work in progress.

nosajnh

FNG
I had lower back issues that went away when I started riding a bike regularly. I didn't start riding the bike to strengthen the back, I was riding it for the cardio however it fixed the back.

Maki35

WKR
I'm still here and reading these.
My back issues lessened some when I did a different job at work for awhile, but have returned now I'm doing my same old job.
I'll be 56 shortly and my low back is still fragile.
Riding my Harley was always a time to get away. Now I know I'll hurt for a day afterwards.
Same with lifting or pushing anything heavy. I know I'll be sore the next 2 days.
And, like a lot of things I could be way more diligent on strengthening. Seems when I get home after sweating in the shop all day I just want to sit down. I'm sure an MRI would tell me what I need to know, but at the same time, I don't want to know. If that makes any sense.
I appreciate all the advice. Like a lot of things in life, the mindset is what controls the outcome. I'm a work in progress.
You should get it looked at (MRI) so you know what you're dealing with. A daily exercise/ stretching route may help. But if you have something serious, it's easier to fix it now while you're still fairly young compared to when you're old.

OP
Buckshot85
So do I start with repairing my deteriorated knees first or the strengthen the back?

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve found (and read) that the situation is the same for the knees as the back. What you want is stable knees, strong musculature around the knee does that. Check out the forum at Startingstrength.com