Aging meat

No, we were hunting out of state on a guided hunt. Didn’t really have access to anything like that. The property we were on has since begun construction of a cooler.
you were on a guided hunt, and nothing was provided for proper meat care?

Id hope you were reimbursed for the loss of the meat of both animals...

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
Really depends on the outfitter and type of hunting. Hunted Alaska for moose and sheep. Outfitter had no game sacks or cooler - meat hung old style from meat pole outside and chunks cut off for camp meat. Tenderloin and loins eaten within 2 days at camp.

Moose are huge and logistics of shipping to lower 48 are expensive. Airlines allow up to 2 bags which mean if you check coolers, you have to ship gear home via UPS or bite off on excess baggage and overweight fees. Outfitter said most hunters only take cape and horns, leaving meat for outfitter, community and friends. Meat is not wasted but spread around the community, used in camp and feeds guides and wrangler's families.

I hunt to feed my family in addition to recreation, so I brought 2 coolers of frozen meat at 70 lbs each plus one duffle bag and gun case on airlines home - incurred $300 additional weigh and baggage fee. My friend took 2 coolers and shipped gear UPS home. We left 3 coolers of meat for guide, outfitter, pilot, Wrangler and community. Half the sheep was eaten at camp.

kiddogy

WKR
Curious on what everyone does for aging their meat. Do you put it in a refrigerator for a few days? Store in the garage in coolers constantly packed with ice? What special techniques have worked out for you?
if hot , like it often is here . I will butcher the same day I kill and get it in the freezer . when cold enough , I will hang it . not for any particular reason other then I am to lazy to do it the same day unless I have to. never have noticed any difference in the meat between aged or not. I believe the aging thing to be nothing but an old wives(hunters) tale.

I know a lot of butchers claim it should hang but my theory is, they are just to busy to get to it right away.

it's been my experience that what they eat affects the meat the most.. around here ,I have never had a gamey tasting deer from the mtns. and most have been nasty from the desert, unless they were close to agriculture

JohnIrish

FNG
I am glad I read this thread! I usually bone out my deer since I hunt in the mountains and cannot drag out the deer. I use the gutless method and often cutup and freeze the meat as soon as I get home. I did not know about Rigor... I need to do some more reading on the subject. However, my deer meat seems to be very tender and tastes great. I actually prefer deer venison to Elk or Moose for a better taste. I dont see any aging of the meat in my future since I cannot control the temperature and would rather just process the meat quickly. I will look into methods to avoid Rigor in the future.

I am glad I read this thread! I usually bone out my deer since I hunt in the mountains and cannot drag out the deer. I use the gutless method and often cutup and freeze the meat as soon as I get home. I did not know about Rigor... I need to do some more reading on the subject. However, my deer meat seems to be very tender and tastes great. I actually prefer deer venison to Elk or Moose for a better taste. I dont see any aging of the meat in my future since I cannot control the temperature and would rather just process the meat quickly. I will look into methods to avoid Rigor in the future.
A cooler with ice works fine. I've had deer in a cooler for a week with no issues, just have to drain water and add ice as necessary.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk