Aging the meat

Poser

WKR
Some misinformation is being thrown around here. I have some meat science education, so I'll chime in. For about 4 to 5 weeks after death, natural enzymes in the muscle will continue to break down the protein, thus making the meat more tender. Once it is frozen or cooked, the process stops and the meat can not be aged again. This process is not decay, however, if the temperature, light and oxygen isn't controlled, microbial growth can occur at the same time the aging is happening. This results in the loss of some exterior meat that spoils. Most commercial meat is wet aged to avoid this loss. After butchering, the meat is vacuum packed and refrigerated for several weeks. The vacuum pack protects it from bacterial contamination and oxygen which must microbes need to grow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ive just given up arguing about aging meat. Few people seem to understand the process at all and that it requires fairly exact temps and humidity to dry age effectively. I’m personally not much of a big fan of wet aging even though blind tests show that Americans tend to prefer it. I used to work in a craft butcher shop where we did in-house aging and experimented some on the side with long aging venison. It did produce highly desirable results, but there just isn’t enough lean muscle density on most types of deer (maybe a moose) to justify the meat loss. If you age a backstrap for 3+ weeks, there’s not a whole lot of meat left. My thoughts are that most hunters would be best served to just butcher the animals up sooner rather than later unless you have both temperature and humidity control.

jsb

FNG
Will butcher shops or processing plants age meet for you?

My guy will, but he charges me a minimal storage fee. Seems fair. But usually it hangs at least a week for free out of necessity because he has lots of animals backed up. Works for me. Could be coincidence but the only marginal meat I've ever had came from another shop that had it ready like the next day. Much bigger operation, probably combining animals for efficiency. My guy now does each animal individually, I know because I have spent time in his shop. If not for him I would do it myself.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok -I will bite.

do you empty your fridge clear out to get half and elk in it?
Need one dedicated to the job
daddfce53f8655c6747c4b719cbc6647.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

East coast.. hide stays on.
West coast... hide comes off immediately.

All across Canada. Hide comes off immediately.

That's what I have seen.

OP
Buckshot85
Here, in Wisconsin, for our gun deer season, some folks hang their deer for days.
we butcher it, typically, the evening on the day it’s harvested. Sometimes the loins and straps go right to the grill.

For those still questioning the benefits of aging meat--it isn't really debatable. There are many variables when it comes to effectively aging game due to conditions or means, but proper aging of meat has predictable results. My family relies on mostly elk but many other wild meat sources so making the best of it is critical for me.

I saved this study some time ago and have relied on it over the years. It might do some benefit to others to post here. It's a PDF so hopefully it works:

Attachments

• University Wyoming elk aging.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 30

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
OP, if you clean it quickly and properly, you will thoroughly enjoy your elk regardless. Mine hung at the processor for a week last year and was amazing. Best meat I've ever eaten. No charge and probably just because they are backed up in the heart of hunting season.

I struck out this year and won't get to hunt next year so I'm bummed that the freezer will be empty of elk soon.

Anecdotal information here, and really, is there an argument to be had? Aging is a pretty well understood process with a dozen variables that will affect tenderness and taste.

What I've seen is cow is great no matter what, spikes and young raghorns are basically the same as cow. The bulls (I'd say 3.5 years and up) do better with a bit of aging. I've had bulls that were aged anywhere from 1-3 weeks and that seems to help a lot compared to under a week.

I hung my little raghorn for about 5-7 days and he's tasty :)

For those still questioning the benefits of aging meat--it isn't really debatable. There are many variables when it comes to effectively aging game due to conditions or means, but proper aging of meat has predictable results. My family relies on mostly elk but many other wild meat sources so making the best of it is critical for me.

I saved this study some time ago and have relied on it over the years. It might do some benefit to others to post here. It's a PDF so hopefully it works:
Beat me to it. Here is the original source.

And the one for mule deer.

Pronghorn can get too tender.

I would respectfully disagree that aging does not help. We age every big game animal and it can make an appreciable difference. I even installed a walk-in cooler in my shop for the purpose. I try keep as much meat on the bone until after rigor mortis has passed at bare minimum--hanging past then will allow the meat to loosen up and then start the breakdown of proteins that makes the meat more tender. Hanging also drains the blood out and improves flavor. I've cut up bull elk directly after the kill that would bend your teeth.

Aging helps more in bulls and bucks than in cows and does. The meat will be more tender and less gamy. Of course appropriate field care is still critical and in no way will aging help undo damage done by poor field handling. Before I had a cooler I often aged animals in unheated garages, maintaining temps the best I could by cracking or closing the door, using fans, etc. I monitor the temp of the meat with a thermometer stabbed in a rear quarter (the automotive a/c thermometers work well, as they work in that range). The higher the temp the less time you will want to age the meat. If it is too warm you won't want to age it at all, but if I can get the meat cool and in my cooler I will try to age elk between 2-3 weeks. You won't want to age smaller game as long. In bad times and without my current walk-in cooler I've even aged elk in coolers with ice in the bottom, a rack, and the meat on top. The meat has to remain dry or bacterial growth will ruin it. I try to age with the hide on as it results in less meat loss, but aging will result in shrinkage and you will have to trim any exposed edges off. Your yield will suffer but what you get will be better table fare.

Much of my advice will likely be useless to someone in warmer climes. In MT, the ambient temps often allow for fast cooling in the field. Sometimes I'm trying to keep elk from freezing so that it can be aged.

My cooler currently:View attachment 127763
I read a study that hanging from the pelvis will keep the hams stretched out and make the rounds more tender.

OP
Buckshot85
I hadn’t planned on so much debate when I posed the question. However, I am impressed that the discussion has not turned personal like I’ve seen on other forums.

Marble

WKR
Great info. I believe I can take a lot out of this.
my hunt is at elevation. By that I mean 7800- 10,500’ the first week in October. The outfitter hangs in bags in trees away from camp because of bears. How long it hangs depends on when in the hunt I harvest. Then I’m going to get it to a local butcher for processing before I head home. I’ve several good places to choose from.
I
Ive just given up arguing about aging meat. Few people seem to understand the process at all and that it requires fairly exact temps and humidity to dry age effectively. I’m personally not much of a big fan of wet aging even though blind tests show that Americans tend to prefer it. I used to work in a craft butcher shop where we did in-house aging and experimented some on the side with long aging venison. It did produce highly desirable results, but there just isn’t enough lean muscle density on most types of deer (maybe a moose) to justify the meat loss. If you age a backstrap for 3+ weeks, there’s not a whole lot of meat left. My thoughts are that most hunters would be best served to just butcher the animals up sooner rather than later unless you have both temperature and humidity control.
So I age my elk a week to 10 days, then the butcher gets it, cuts it, wraps and freezes.

If I unwrap that meat and put it in a Terry cloth in my fridge for say another 7 to 10 days, is that helpful?

kiddogy

WKR
I

So I age my elk a week to 10 days, then the butcher gets it, cuts it, wraps and freezes.

If I unwrap that meat and put it in a Terry cloth in my fridge for say another 7 to 10 days, is that helpful?
unneccesary. and IMHO you will gain nothing by doing so. just freeze it and be done with it till your ready to eat it.

when you are ready to eat it , DON'T OVERCOOK IT . this is the #1 thing folks do wrong . wildgame tastes like an old leather shoe because most tend to cook it till it can pass as one.

I have found this to be the best way to cook wild game...
1 start with a steak a minimum of one inch thick. season to preference
2 heat grill to 500
3 put meat on grill
4 count to ten
5 flip meat
6 count to ten
7 serve and enjoy

Last edited:
we never used to age our meat on purpose,, but the past few years IMO it is best to get the hide off keep meat clean,, get cooled quickly,, and i like to hang meat for at least 7-10 days,, thats it
i use a chest freezer converted to a fridge with a digital thermostat that i can set to 38 degrees
i keep the meat dry and rotate it around.

if the ambient air temp is not above say 55 -60 degrees during the day, but nights are getting in the 30's we just get the meat in the shade and let it hang,, it stays cool enough as long as in the shade, near a creek is best,,

i think their is a very obvious difference in how tender the meat is.. when aged..

but most importantly

get the hide off asap.. i don't care what anyone says

thats the most important and keep the meat clean, and keep your knife in meat only....

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
Dry aging in a home refrigerator only dries out the meat. You don't have the proper bacteria to really dry age. Dehydrating the meat does change the way it will taste because it alters the maillard reaction. But it is not the same as a beef steak from a dry aging butcher. And it really needs to be done on the rail, not as a steak sitting on a shelf.

RoJo

WKR
I'm now in the wet aging camp with a dedicated refrigerator. I wet aged some of my last mule deer for 10 days. There was zero meat loss, in fact it came out looking as good as it went in. At this point I would go as far as saying that 10 days is the minimum, I will be trying 2 to 3 weeks this fall assuming I fill at least one of my tags (one mule deer, one elk).

kiddogy

WKR
I'm now in the wet aging camp with a dedicated refrigerator. I wet aged some of my last mule deer for 10 days. There was zero meat loss, in fact it came out looking as good as it went in. At this point I would go as far as saying that 10 days is the minimum, I will be trying 2 to 3 weeks this fall assuming I fill at least one of my tags (one mule deer, one elk).
no need to over think it . just cut a slab offn it's arse ,grill it up and enjoy.

This is something I've not tried. Is the outcome very different from dry aging in flavor or tenderness? I've only dry aged or (for many years) butchered without aging at all. Occasionally it would be nice to get the cutting done straight away, though the vast majority of the time it is a relief to hang the critter and take a break!