AGM Varmint LFR TS50-384

Anyone have info on this scope or a link to some good info? I am wanting to know how this compares to the super hogster. Looking at the specs image quality should be similar, but with a higher base mag (4.5 vs 3). I can't find a direct comparison for some reason. Current scope is a hogster 35 and I would like something with a higher base mag.

rwurdeman

FNG
Check out Outdoor Legacy on YouTube. They have some great information on thermals. I just made a purchase from them and they were great to deal with.

The varmint uses better rechargeable batteries. It'll probably look a little better with the higher base mag and 12micron vs 17. You could look at the AGM adder too. They have a 4x one, has good battery life and adds audio recording, but you don't get the LRF. Do you have a hand held thermal to scan with? I wouldn't want to be scanning with a 4.5x on my rifle. If you can find the iray bolt in stock with the current sale that is probably the best bang for the buck and is a good middle of the road 3x.
Kurt at Midwest Thermal Optics has used pretty much all of the scopes out there and would be a good person to talk to. The guys at Outdoor Legacy mentioned above are good too.

OP
S
Check out Outdoor Legacy on YouTube. They have some great information on thermals. I just made a purchase from them and they were great to deal with.
The varmint uses better rechargeable batteries. It'll probably look a little better with the higher base mag and 12micron vs 17. You could look at the AGM adder too. They have a 4x one, has good battery life and adds audio recording, but you don't get the LRF. Do you have a hand held thermal to scan with? I wouldn't want to be scanning with a 4.5x on my rifle. If you can find the iray bolt in stock with the current sale that is probably the best bang for the buck and is a good middle of the road 3x.
Kurt at Midwest Thermal Optics has used pretty much all of the scopes out there and would be a good person to talk to. The guys at Outdoor Legacy mentioned above are good too.
Thanks for the replies! Didn't get much feed back, so I made some phone calls.

Doesn't sound like the image on these is close to bering or iray. Iray has a 4x 384 scope that looks really nice, but more than I really wanted to spend. Going to try the 3x base mag iray first and see how I like that. Supposed to be the exact same image as the super hogster. Without the lrf I also have a good excuse for when I miss the longer shots!

Doesn't sound like the image on these is close to bering or iray. Iray has a 4x 384 scope that looks really nice, but more than I really wanted to spend. Going to try the 3x base mag iray first and see how I like that. Supposed to be the exact same image as the super hogster. Without the lrf I also have a good excuse for when I miss the longer shots!

Are you getting the bolt or the bravo? The rico g is 3800 with a lrf and is 3x. I looked through the 640 bolt last night and it's pretty sweet. The display seems much nicer than the display in my 640 rattler, but I like the way the image or shading looks in my AGM better. Kind of hard to describe but mine seemed to have more landscape detail and shades of grey where the Iray was more just black and white. Critters looked good but maybe not as much detail on grass and trees. Probably just a difference it contrast settings.

OP
S
Are you getting the bolt or the bravo? The rico g is 3800 with a lrf and is 3x. I looked through the 640 bolt last night and it's pretty sweet. The display seems much nicer than the display in my 640 rattler, but I like the way the image or shading looks in my AGM better. Kind of hard to describe but mine seemed to have more landscape detail and shades of grey where the Iray was more just black and white. Critters looked good but maybe not as much detail on grass and trees. Probably just a difference it contrast settings.
Trying out the bravo, it was on sale too! I didn't want to mess with internal batteries down the road on the bolt. I looked at the rico g, but decided to save the $800. They way things are going I could probably pick up a used one for much cheaper next year, if I want to try the lrf. Berings will be out, so those should be available by next season, as well.

I have read/heard that there is a noticeable difference between agm and bering/iray image and it is kind of personal preference (like you described).

rwurdeman

FNG

I picked up the Rico MK1 4x 384 with the IRF. Most of my encounters with coyotes are a bit further out so I wanted to know the range. I have been very happy with it so far. I would do exactly what you are doing set a budget and then get the best you can in the set budget by asking around and getting as much information as you can. One thing that I didn't think of at first is getting a scanner as well. It didn't come to mind until I started talking with others who do this sort of thing and I am glad I did. If you have a set budget and you do not know where to go with the money spend more on the scanner than on the scope. You look through the scanner more than the rifle scope.

I see your from NE same here what part? I am out in the panhandle. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

OP
S
I picked up the Rico MK1 4x 384 with the IRF. Most of my encounters with coyotes are a bit further out so I wanted to know the range. I have been very happy with it so far. I would do exactly what you are doing set a budget and then get the best you can in the set budget by asking around and getting as much information as you can. One thing that I didn't think of at first is getting a scanner as well. It didn't come to mind until I started talking with others who do this sort of thing and I am glad I did. If you have a set budget and you do not know where to go with the money spend more on the scanner than on the scope. You look through the scanner more than the rifle scope.

I see your from NE same here what part? I am out in the panhandle. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!
The MK1 looks great for calling, the 4x would be perfect for a lot of areas I hunt. I'm on the opposite end of the state, so not quite as wide open as where you are!

I plan on using my older scope as a scanner, I have used it in the past as a scanner and it works just fine. I also have my gun set up so I can easily/safely scan with that.

I messed around with the bravo this week, but I need to make some phone calls. Not sure if something is set up wrong or if this scope design just wont work for me. The image is great/I like everything about the scope, but I have to be touching the damn thing to see the entire screen (no eye cup) and I can't get the icons to stay in focus. The eye relief is supposed to be the same as my current scope, but it is no where close when I compared the two.

satchamo

WKR
I can’t speak for iray but I can tell you Berings image quality is better than any AGM product at a similar price point. BUT that isn’t everything. Base mag, battery type, battery life, and traditional tube scope vs a standard thermal (rattler or super hogster type) and of course LRF.

I’ll admit the varmint is intriguing at its price point but I have been seeing a lot of QA issues with guys complaining of the rangefinders not working correctly resulting in unwanted warranty repairs.

If you’re buying today, I’d go Rico g series before the varmint. I know it’s higher but it’s worth it. But I’d also recommend waiting a few weeks for the bering LRF options. A super hogster and yoter with LRF will be the tits.

OP
S
I can’t speak for iray but I can tell you Berings image quality is better than any AGM product at a similar price point. BUT that isn’t everything. Base mag, battery type, battery life, and traditional tube scope vs a standard thermal (rattler or super hogster type) and of course LRF.

I’ll admit the varmint is intriguing at its price point but I have been seeing a lot of QA issues with guys complaining of the rangefinders not working correctly resulting in unwanted warranty repairs.

If you’re buying today, I’d go Rico g series before the varmint. I know it’s higher but it’s worth it. But I’d also recommend waiting a few weeks for the bering LRF options. A super hogster and yoter with LRF will be the tits.
Thanks for the info! I am currently waiting on a new bering scope to arrive. The IRAY bravo I tried out would not work for me at all. Not sure if the Rico G would solve any of the issues I experienced or not.