Air Bags

Looking at getting a set of air bags for my first generation Tundra. Anyone have any experience with them or have any recommended brands?

The factory springs are pretty weak, especially when I get 3 guys and all our gear loaded in it. Would just like to level out the truck and not have the headlights pointed toward the sky. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Braaap

WKR
I have Firestone airbags on my 1st gen tundra double cab and they work great. I think they were somewhere around $300 or so and install was pretty easy. Rear suspension is noticeably stiffer than stock even with the bags at the minimum pressure of 5 psi but it still rides well. No sagging anymore with a heavy load. Get the Daystar cradles otherwise you’ll tear a bag when flexing your rear suspension off-road.

Pn8hall

WKR
I run Firestone bags on my 2nd gen Tundra double cab longbed. I could not be happier. I had a set on a Chevy 1500 prior to the Tundra and they were Firestone also. I also have the onboard compressor with a wireless remote control. I highly recommend the onboard compressor. I can stand at rear of truck and control the bags. Its awesome to level out a heavy trailer load. Not a single complaint overall

BluMtn

WKR
My last set of bags were Hellwigs and worked extremely well. I have had them all and it just comes down to features and price.

cnelk

WKR
I put a set of AirLift on my old Silverado - worked good.

A couple weeks ago I put a set of Monroe Air Shocks on my GMC Sierra.
Same effect - much less expensive.
Great ride, lifts truck when hooked up to my trailers does what I need

BLJ

WKR
You may want to consider timbren. I've installed a few sets in the past and the feedback has been very good.

I've got Airlifts on my Ram 2500. With the 8 foot bed my travel trailer would squat the back end. The air bags keep it level and take the porpoising out of the ride.

I have the auto inflate kit as well (frame mounted air compressor) and can independently adjust each side. The auto inflate keeps the bags at the pressure you set them and adjust based on load, and temperatures. You can also adjust on the fly while you are driving. The indecent sides become more important if you have uneven loads, like a cabover camper.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at getting a set of air bags for my first generation Tundra. Anyone have any experience with them or have any recommended brands?

The factory springs are pretty weak, especially when I get 3 guys and all our gear loaded in it. Would just like to level out the truck and not have the headlights pointed toward the sky. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have the AirLifts in my 1/2 ton and I think they do a great job. Airlift has an amazing customer service team and I've only heard good experiences. I'd definitely get the compressor for the bags so it's super easy to put air in and take air out. If you don't get the compressor you'll have to find an air chuck somewhere and it greatly prolongs the process. I got my setup from SDtrucksprings.com and they were great to work with. I would call in and tell them what you are wanting to do and they will set you up. I was going to buy online but calling them saved me some money because I didn't need what I thought I did. I had a shop in town put them on for me and it sounded like a PITA because everything is so tight underneath these newer vehicles. But that's not an Airlift thing, that's just an airbags thing. I'd recommend them.