Air mattress alternative

Car camping this past weekend we slept on an air mattress. Not my first time, but definitely my most uncomfortable time. I sweat a lot on them, they are noisy and transfer a lot of movement from my dog and wife.

Is there a somewhat compact alternative that is not an air mattress? This is strictly for camping with the truck so weight is not a concern, but I don't want to take up the whole bed of my truck either. Was thinking of something like a thick foam pad.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thermarest Luxury Matt .. Self Inflating .. has a soft faced side.

Yes the underside of air pads often makes people sweat which makes them colder ..

I use an Exped Mega mat in the back of my 4Runner during spring outings and have been very happy with it. Not near as compact as an air mattress but it's very comfortable.

DEGdog

FNG
I hate our mattresses. Several years ago I bought a Cabela’s foam pad double width that my wife and I use one tent camping and it works great in the back of my truck. You might also be able to find a piece of dense furniture foam at Joanne fabrics that would make a good pad for your truck

Rob5589

WKR
Sounds goofy but, have to tried making the air mattress like you do a bed with sheets? It really can make a difference in comfort.

mlgc20

WKR
I would take a look at a 6ish inch memory foam mattress topper on Amazon. You can take a knife and cut them to size and even fit around wheel wells and other obstructions.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
EXPED MegaMat, your wife and dog will both thank you. They utilize foam and air which helps to eliminate the "bounce" effect when someone rolls or moves. On top of that, your air mat has 0 insulation, MegaMat will get you an 8.1.