Air pad + Foam Pad?

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a trip with a couple of friends this winter and I only have 2 insulated pads. I have a Nemo Tensor also, and was wondering if I would be ok temp wise if I paired it with a Thermarest Solite foam pad? How would this setup compare to a typical insulated pad? Thanks

What type of trip?
Car camp or packing in?
What's your bag?
Know what temp range?
Probably be ok. I've slept in a tipi with just a foam pad and bag in bivy. Put a reflective tarp under pad. Worked great.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Its a backpacking trip. I guess im just wondering how much insulation I can expect using both. 10º lower than the air pads spec?

rbljack

WKR
this past fall on my elk hunt I brought a sea to summit air pad with an r value close to 5 I think. I also bring a thermorest Ridgerest SOL short pad which is an additional 9 ounces. It goes under the air mat from head to below my waist area. I also use it as my sitting pad while out hunting, and it gets moved around inside my floorless shelter to put boots on, cook on, cut wood on, etc. My thought is this...If my air pad developed a leak that I couldn't fix, at least I have some R value and cushion left from the foam. They say it has an r value of 2.8 for my upper body, plus the r value of the sea to summit, so I guess im at 7.5 on the R value if its just a matter of adding the two values. I wasn't real happy with my sea to summit this year though.....so I may switch it out to a Exped Downmat UL Winter long/wide pad with a higher R value of 7 and then still bring the ridgerest. I should mention that I was in a floorless shelter sleeping directly on top of a few inches of snow...and it got down into the teens at night. I did get a bit cold, and I blame my sea to summit pad not having quite enough R value. It wasn't the most comfortable either...which is why im looking at the exped.

I used an old school thermalrest 3/4 pad with a full length ridge rest pad for years including some cold snow camping. I don’t have a scientific answer on r value but I never had a problem that I can recall. For what it’s worth, I got away from that set up in favor of a neolite inflatable pad. This past summer I had my first catastrophic failure that I couldn’t field repair. It was a hard, cold, lumpy night in Yellowstone. It fortunately we were hiking out the next day. I am experimenting with combos of air pads and close cell foam pads for added protection from punctures.

hankharp

FNG
R-values are additive, so combining pads should get you there. The SOlite is a 2.8 and the Tensor is somewhere around a 3, so probably in the 5.5-6 range. 5 is generally the minimum standard for winter camping.

cnelk

WKR
I use a big Agnes 0 degree mummy bag with a BA Insulated Air Core pad.

But... That Air Core pad just sucks the heat out from me so I slip a custom mummy cut cheap foam pad between the Air Core and ground/cot.

Issue fixed