Air rifle

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for info on air rifles.

Seems like they are all over the map.

Primary use, hunting small game.
Most important aspect, accuracy.

I know the price range on these is extreme. I'd prefer to stay under 200. What do you all recommend and where would you buy?

TheGDog

WKR
With price range you specified, you will be very happy with an Umarex Octane. They now have the Umarex Octane Elite. Get it in .22 cal. The scopes they come with you need to replace though. I just put on a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32mm. This is a "Magnum-class" Gas-Spring Piston. It's got a suppressor on it that does pretty darn good. The sound of a pellet hitting the backstop is much louder than the firing of it.

I've taken many different kinds of critters with it. Just know that for several bird species you need to steer clear of their strong wing feathers. Those wing feather can withstand take an amazing amount of punishment. Try to aim at shoulder/neck juncture, in front of the wings.

For rabbits, about 40yds is doable. Can be tricky in wind.

For pellets use H&N Terminators ...OR... Predator PolyMags.

Last edited:
OP
O

Ogrenerd

Lil-Rokslider
Wow this is some good detail, thanks. What kind of group sizes do you get with this setup.

TheGDog

WKR
At 20yds you can call your shots. Such as shooting into the letter "O" on a Shocktop bottle. (Assuming using a rest)

When you notice accuracy starts not being right, that's your cue that you need to clean the barrel again.

The trigger pull is hard, but at that price point that's what you're gonna get.
WP_20160512_002.jpg

Buzby

WKR
If you can stretch your budget a bit, look into a Weihrauch. They’re german made. All wood/metal, no plastic parts. Very high quality. They also have a pretty good trigger for an air rifle. Airguns of Arizona has a good selection, and regular sales on them.

TheGDog

WKR
Quickly looking at 'em on Pyramydair.com their entry-level break-barrel .22 only does a wimpy 574fps. Their next one up from that... 765 fps. Still on the slow side.

He said Hunting, Small game. So he needs velocity.

With the Umarex Octane, and one of those pellets mentioned, it hammers stuff good! Some guy has Youtube video where he chrono'd them at, I think it was 980fps. It's advertised as something like 1000fps for lead pellets if I remember correctly.

Here's a link to the Octane Elite on Pyramydair

Oh... and don't forget to buy a Pellet Pen too. They are VERY handy when you're in the field.

Last edited:

Buzby

WKR
I second the pellet pen! They’re awesome. I have no issues killing squirrels with .22 pellets at 755fps out of my HW95. If I need to kill anything tougher than that, I’m reaching for a firearm.

LostArra

WKR
Accuracy trumps velocity with air rifles even for hunting.
The most accurate air rifles in the world (Olympic 10m) are in the 600fps range.

Like Buzby, I'm a Weihrauch fan. Springers are just simple and convenient.
My best kill is a 70 yard head shot on a house-gnawing squirrel with HW-95 .177 (I hated that squirrel)
Most shots under 30yds.

Get an air rifle rated scope.
Test a variety of pellets. Each air rifle will have a favorite that provides the best accuracy.
Learn the artillery hold, no death grip.

cnelk

WKR
I just picked up a Ruger Blackhawk pellet gun. $150
Arrived today and after a few minutes I was having a blast at 20-30yds

Note: I did have some old Daisy lead pellets kicking around but the new gun did not like those at all

43E5C140-5F74-45CD-8B06-500E302968FD.jpeg404B3566-BD40-4375-914D-1DB522C49C96.jpeg

TheGDog

WKR
Accuracy trumps velocity with air rifles even for hunting.

Your 600fps certainly *may* work under *certain* sets of conditions.

If you have about 1000fps you're talking around 30 ft-Lbs. You have to have accuracy. But.. because we're talking low amounts of energy to begin with, you want every little bit you can get, especially if you're hunting in real-world conditions, such as some wind.

Why wouldn't you want every advantage you can squeeze out of your device/tool?

600fps is just gonna frustrate you at 40yds on a windy desert day. With my .22 Cal that does about 950fps real-world... even with that one... sometimes those longer shot Rabbits ya still gotta run up and give em another hit to end it quick. Because either they don't present you with the best angle, or it's just plain crazy windy and you're damn lucky it even hit 'em to begin with at that distance, what with the wind and all.

All I'm saying is... if he goes for around 1000fps real-world in .22 Cal air-rifle... he won't feel it's very lacking.
If we assume same 16gr pellet in .22 cal...

1000fps @16gr = 35.52 ft-Lbs
950fps @16gr = 32.05 ft-Lbs
755fps @16gr = 20.24 ft-Lbs

That's 15 ft-Lbs more than the 20!

For comparison purposes...
CCI Quiet-22 : 710fps @40gr = 44.76 ft-Lbs
which is 10 more ft-Lbs further still!

If ya went for the Crossman's Premier pellets that are 14.3gr...
755fps @14.3gr = 18.09 ft-Lbs