Air taxi weight limitations

Murse15

FNG
My friend who lives in Anchorage proposed an Alaska float moose/caribou/whatever tag is available for September 2023 hunt. Of course my friends and I couldn't say no.

My question is about the weight limits for the air taxis. I'm 6'4" and 350lbs. I'm going to start making phone calls tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone had any knowledge or experience with this problem. I'm actively dropping weight, but I don't know how much I will drop, or how far I need to get down.

The tentative plan is to fly out of Fairbanks into unit 20 or possibly 19, and float back with 4 or 5 guys total.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Clarktar

WKR
I don't know much about all the various planes, but a Cessna 185 has more capacity than a cub (if I recall correctly). Find a 185 on floats!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mooster

WKR
I was looking at air taxi rules today. He states if a passenger over 235 then requires gear to be flown in on a separate flight. Good to be thinking a head about this.

OP
M

Murse15

FNG
I appreciate the replys so far. I'll make sure to ask about different types of aircraft (Cessna and beaver). I'm still not 100% sure where we're heading, so hopefully one of those larger aircrafts can get me/us there.

I appreciate the replys so far. I'll make sure to ask about different types of aircraft (Cessna and beaver). I'm still not 100% sure where we're heading, so hopefully one of those larger aircrafts can get me/us there.

Highly, highly unlikely you'll be transported in a Piper PA-18. Four guys and gear for a September float hunt?, it'll be a Cessna or possibly a Dehavilland.

For reference, we limit our clients to 70 lbs of gear (camp, personal, food, etc) for a PA-18 flight. For a Cessna flight, sky's the limit, based on a client's checkbook.

In other words, with the Cessna we can move clients and gear twice as fast, and make more flights if clients are large bodied and they also have a ton of gear.

Of course, that all comes at additional cost to the customer.

OP
M

Murse15

FNG
Highly, highly unlikely you'll be transported in a Piper PA-18. Four guys and gear for a September float hunt?, it'll be a Cessna or possibly a Dehavilland.

For reference, we limit our clients to 70 lbs of gear (camp, personal, food, etc) for a PA-18 flight. For a Cessna flight, sky's the limit, based on a client's checkbook.

In other words, with the Cessna we can move clients and gear twice as fast, and make more flights if clients are large bodied and they also have a ton of gear.

I really appreciate the response. It's good to hear it from someone in the business. It didn't even occur to me that it doesn't make sense to have everyone fly out separately on Super Cubs rather than all at once in a larger plane. Thanks again.

I really appreciate the response. It's good to hear it from someone in the business. It didn't even occur to me that it doesn't make sense to have everyone fly out separately on Super Cubs rather than all at once in a larger plane. Thanks again.

Yeah, at 80 knots, it takes forever to move four huge guys and all their junk, with only two PA-18's. From an air taxi operator's perspective, it ain't worthwhile.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey bro, I would say avoid the options that require Supercub operations. All of my past and current Cub pilots cringe when my guests are over 225 lbs. Here's a home-brew test to see if a Cub schematic will work for you:

turn a 120-qt cooler on its end against the wall. Sit your big ass in to that sucker and if you can squeeze into that...you're good to go. If you can't, don't bother.

z987k

WKR

I just give guys a weight limit for everything. What they weigh is what they weigh and so it comes out of that limit.
Big guys just have to be less comfortable.

z987k

WKR
Most cubs have a legal useful load right around 650-700lbs. Really light ones with the increased gross might have 800.
Take at least 180 out of that for the pilot. Fuel depends how far you're going but probably at least another 180 for that.

That leaves you with about 340lbs or so for the passenger and all their crap.

OP can't even bring a toothbrush let alone a tent.

Most cubs have a legal useful load right around 650-700lbs. Really light ones with the increased gross might have 800.
Take at least 180 out of that for the pilot. Fuel depends how far you're going but probably at least another 180 for that.

That leaves you with about 340lbs or so for the passenger and all their crap.

OP can't even bring a toothbrush let alone a tent.

Yep, that's why I'm speculating that whatever operator they get, that operator will probably haul them in a Cessna or a Maule, or a Dehavilland. Four guys and possibly they're all humongous dudes, pretty much rules out Cub runs. Would eat up an entire day moving that crowd.

OP
M

Murse15

FNG
Hey bro, I would say avoid the options that require Supercub operations. All of my past and current Cub pilots cringe when my guests are over 225 lbs. Here's a home-brew test to see if a Cub schematic will work for you:

turn a 120-qt cooler on its end against the wall. Sit your big ass in to that sucker and if you can squeeze into that...you're good to go. If you can't, don't bother.
Yeah, my big ass isn't fitting in that very well hahaha. I appreciate the perspective.

As for the other general questions, I'm the only abnormally sized person lol. All my buddies are under 6 foot and under 200lbs; I'm the freak.

New tentative plans are flying into a small town with an airstrip and floating to another small town for pickup, so the Beaver or Cessna would probably be our options.

Thanks again for all the information guys.

another thing to look into if you are going to do it that way is compare the price of a charter and, getting on a scheduled flight from your hub village to the other village. On their scheduled flights depending on the company they could be using a caravan. Instead of paying for extra baggage it can be cheaper to buy multiple seats so you get 200 pounds for the seat and then what ever they allow each passenger to have. We fly into the villages alot for work and have done this before when a charter is pricey. If you going to fly in on wheels to the airstrip get on the google and see how far it is to the river. Sometimes the strips can be a few miles away. If thats the case you can call the village office and see if anyone would want to give you a ride for some cash. Or just bring a hundred bucks or so and you will find some one pretty easily to pay for a ride to the river. If you are on a scheduled flight they are always bringing in mail/groceries so there will be a bunch of people at the airstrip waiting for the plane.