Air travel and packing

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
For you all that have traveled by air, say to alaska or other remote area, how to you pack your backpack and clothes. More specifically I'm wondering if I should try and get by backpack all loaded up like I need it then throw it in a larger bag with some other stuff or just keep it all out and pack it up when I get there. Any suggestions from experience would be great. Thanks

MattB

WKR
As a bowhunters, I pack a roller duffel and double bow case, roughly splitting my gear between the two. I will either wear or carry on a pair of hunting boots, optics, rain gear, and personal stuff. If one checked bag doesn't arrive (only happened once), I still have the base level of stuff I need to hunt. I usually put a pistol in one case (seem to always arrive) and recently took to putting an Apple AirTag in the other for tracking purpose.

Neither here nor there, but on a recent trip my roller duffel showed up at both ends with zippers open a foot or more. Luckily I didn't lose anything, but am thinking about drilling holes in the pulls on the double pull zippers and using cheap TSA locks on them for future trips.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I have too much stuff to pre-pack my backpack. Bought a rolling duffle (Magellan brand cheap) with a lower compartment where I can lay my pack flat. Then all my gear is neatly folded or rolled up in the top section. Takes longer than I'd like to assemble it all at the hangar before flying out, but it's the best system for me with the fewest checked bags to carry through the airport.

Depends on how much you're taking I suppose. If you're going guided and don't need much, then you probably can pre-pack.

tuffcity

WKR
If you're going to check a loaded backpack get it wrapped at the airport, if they have that capacity, or at least put it in a heavy plastic bag- the ones they use for car seats at the check in. There are too many loose straps, zippers, etc on a pack! FWIW, I have flown quite a bit with hunting packs.

OP
K

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about just packing my backpack and then putting it into a larger zipped bag. I seem to remember someone mentioning it's problematic for some reason and just leave all their clothes and gear out then pack it up when they get there?

tuffcity

WKR
If you're going that route ( pack in a bag- which is a good idea) pack only your up the mountain stuff in the pack and other stuff either loose in the same bag or separate. At least that way you have a "container" to leave your non-hunting items in while you're gone. Maybe leave your going hunting clothes out of the pack so you can change and go without tearing apart your pack.

WCB

WKR
I just throw my pack on the bottom of a large duffle and all my clothes on top. My 1st aid kit, knives, tools, or cooking stuff (not gas) stays in my pack but nothing else.

For me it is nice to pack my backpack once I arrive as a secondary check to make sure I have everything....or include/remove items per weather conditions or other u forseables.

Ty77

FNG
I always have 2 checked bags and a carry on. I check my rifle/bow in a hard case with my bino system, range finder, GPS and spotting scope (when applicable). I usually get my trekking poles and tripod in the hard case too. Then I load my pack exactly how I plan on taking it into the mountains and put it inside a large cordura duffel bag along with my boots. I've learned to cinch my boots in a way that the shoulder straps and hip belt hold them to my pack so they're not flopping around.

In my carry on I have civilian toiletries, whatever change of clothes I need to travel back home and the hunting clothes I plan to wear into the field.

When I get to my destination it makes it really easy to swap clothes and put all my civilian stuff in the carry on. Take my pack out, put on my boots, strap my tripod, spotting scope and trekking poles to my pack. My carry on is usually a SG small duffel which will fit in my hard case along with the cordura duffel when empty. Grab my weapon and lock the bags back in my hard case for storage at the transporter.

Under 10 minutes and little messing around and I'm ready to go!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I prepack a backpack and stuff it in a larger bag or case, depending on what else I am bringing. I strongly suggest pulling your valuables or items not easily replaced onsite for a carry on to avoid frustrations. I've lost a handful of items sadly...even with locks.

Dbguinn

FNG
Zpacks makes a dyneema backpack cover that has handles and at destination doubles as a waterproof backpack liner. It weighs just a few ounces

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Your best bet is to pack your hunting pack(either loaded or empty) into a large duffle bag, then pack your clothes and other items around it. You should have your backpack inside a duffle bag to protect the straps and buckles.

Whether to pre-pack your backpack, or pack it at your destination is up to you. I usually pre-pack, then tear it apart to recheck everything.

fwafwow

WKR
Much like @MattB - IMHO it doesn’t matter whether you are packing for a hunting or other trip, pack based on prioritizing your needs and then pick the bags to make those needs work. Can you live for a week without the backup merino boxers? Sure. Can l live for a day without contact lenses? No. Just two extreme examples, but you can fill the rest in.

MattB

WKR
Much like @MattB - IMHO it doesn’t matter whether you are packing for a hunting or other trip, pack based on prioritizing your needs and then pick the bags to make those needs work. Can you live for a week without the backup merino boxers? Sure. Can l live for a day without contact lenses? No. Just two extreme examples, but you can fill the rest in.
Yup. Can a hunter do his hunt if his backpack with all his gear doesn't show up until 2 days after his connecting flight has left? That is why I would never check my hunting pack and always include the bare minimums (boots/rain gear/puffy/optics) in my carry-on to ensure I can hunt if only 1 of my 2 checked bags arrives.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
That is why I would never check my hunting pack and always include the bare minimums (boots/rain gear/puffy/optics) in my carry-on to ensure I can hunt if only 1 of my 2 checked bags arrives.
Matt,

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that you bring your hunting pack as a carry on? If I am understanding correctly, how are you able to carry it on without exceeding the size requirements?

MattB

WKR
Matt,

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but are you saying that you bring your hunting pack as a carry on? If I am understanding correctly, how are you able to carry it on without exceeding the size requirements?
The airlines generally do not check measurements for carry-on’s unless they appear egregiously oversized. I’ve flown with a Kifaru 24” or 26” frame tens of times. The only time I’ve ever had to check my pack was on really small planes with small overhead bins, but in those instances it was gate checked so virtually guaranteed to make the plane.

Last edited: