Air Travel / Cooler Size

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 319844United just got me for $140 for my cooler. They Didn’t measure it (it was 65” total which is 3” oversize) but they wouldn’t budge on the 58 lbs. they did at least move me to an economy plus seat.
Bone in with no ice in a cheap Coleman cooler. Legs off at the knees. No head
I have found that the airlines use a level of digression on those baggage charges for oversize but not on weight. When I flew to Boise, I was supposed to pay $240 round trip for my gun case and they never charged me a dime.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve carried frozen wild pig broken down in my carry on multiple times. They don’t weigh those. The rib bones didn’t seem to bother TSA on the x-ray. Definitely weighed around 50lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I have found that the airlines use a level of digression on those baggage charges for oversize but not on weight. When I flew to Boise, I was supposed to pay $240 round trip for my gun case and they never charged me a dime.
I’ve had great luck with my bow case and other oversize. 2 years ago I had my bow case at 70lbs and United didnt even blink twice. Can’t get lucky all the time though. Beats driving home!

TX_Diver

WKR
I’ve carried frozen wild pig broken down in my carry on multiple times. They don’t weigh those. The rib bones didn’t seem to bother TSA on the x-ray. Definitely weighed around 50lbs.

I considered buying a soft cooler this morning and doing that but thought I’d just be smart and ship one suitcase home with UPS instead. Oh well. Kinda makes it worth justifying the real expensive soft coolers!

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I put two pigs worth of meat in my carryon and then checked my regular bag and weapon. Boned out fully and fully frozen. Non stop flight from DC to LA. Nothing thawed out. The upper baggage area on a plane is pretty cold during flight.

Had been hunting in Arkansas but from Virginia - for those wondering about that flight.

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
Boy is this a timely post. We were going to drive to hunt pronghorn in Wyoming, from Texas. Mapquest had it at 2,370 miles and 34 hrs behind the wheel round trip. Wife found tickets leaving Houston on Untied to Denver for $137 round trip. Rent a truck there and drive 2.5 hours to Chugwater. Extra days to hunt and maybe mess around in the mountains in Colorado.
That soft sided carry on, shipping a suitcase home UPS, and ice chest checked bag are great ideas. I shipped a mule deer UPS 2nd day air from Montana and it wasn't cheap. Awesome info on here fellas, thanks.

Last edited:

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't flown with meat, but I have flown cheese back in checked baggage from France a few times, a 9 hr flight.

At least twice, I sent a little battery thermometer that records min and max in my baggage with it. Never has it come out more than a degree or two higher than when I reset it before closing the luggage, even in August. I think I recall seeing a low in the 40's F once, but I can't remember what time of year it was. I suspect the cargo hold is much colder than the overhead bins. Maybe I should send the thermometer in the outside pocket of a checked bag next time?

The first time I flew cheese home I just wrapped frozen blocks in my clothes in my suitcase. That trip, one was a Reblochon, which I didn't realize is illegal until I got back. It's a soft cheese, and it was still cold but got warm enough to deform.

Since then, I've used a small Icemule cooler inside my checked bag. It works great; rolls up small for the trip over, and stuff is just as frozen as it left on the way home.

Of course, none of that has happened since the COVID.

OP
B

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to close this one out for the guys traveling in the future and planing to return with meat.
The rtic 40 cooler was plenty. I could have dropped down to a 30 with ease.