Air Travel / Cooler Size

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first antelope hunt and I opted to fly out rather than driving. I hunt WT and elk out west every year and I have always driven and taken large cooler(s). I think I can get an entire antelope in one of the Rtic 40 soft side coolers and have it as a carry on with frozen meat, well at least I think I can. Any personal experience with this size?

I know from personal experience you can fit a boned out antelope + head + cape in carry on rollerboard w/o issue and have it wrapped in sleeping bag or mylar bubble wrap from homedepot. that rollerboard is 19x13x9 exterior. Sometimes TSA gives you a nasty look about horns or claws in carry on and you may get hauled in front of supervisor (Denver) but most of the time they just let it slide ( Salt Lake, Bozeman, Billings) Just make sure it is frozen solid and not leaking.

If you don't have a vent in your cooler, TSA will make you remove the dry ice.
If you go with dry ice, you're paying the dry ice fee.
Every hunter went through this getting their baggage checked in Gillette.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
I used to fly a quite often before the covid issue. Usually the gate crew does not pay too much attention to the carryon size, but sometimes they do. I have had my carryon measured, and in a couple of instances weighed. You should look at the website of the airline you will be using and follow their requirements,

You probably should print out the requirements to carry with you if there is any problem. The people at the gate do not always strictly follow their own airline's rules, but they are clearly the people that will decide what will be allowed on that flight If there is an issue, smile and be pleasant while stating your case.

Many coolers do not fit the carryon size requirements of most airlines (typically 22"x14"x9"), but can be checked luggage with no problem.

Antares

WKR
A Yeti Tundra 45 filled about 7/8 full with frozen meat is right about 50 pounds. I usually put a little layer of clothes on top to fill the gap. If that helps…

Trial153

WKR
Use a soft cooler, XXL ice mule will fit a boned out lope, cape and horns …

Delloro

FNG

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
A Yeti Tundra 45 filled about 7/8 full with frozen meat is right about 50 pounds. I usually put a little layer of clothes on top to fill the gap. If that helps…

Are you bringing that on as a carryon? Or checking? If checking how do you ensure it stays close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I line my daypack, (Pop Up 28), with one of those silver grocery store freezer bags and then fit an entire frozen, boned antelope, (about 30-35#) in there. It rides home in the overhead on the plane. No ice, no freezer paks.

I drive 2 hrs to Rapid City airport, connecting flights and layovers in Dallas, to Tampa, then a 2 hour drive home...about
17-18 hrs total. Meat is still frozen hard when I arrive home.

I have a local taxi do my mount and ship it to me cheaper than the taxi rates near me. And he has a lot more experience doing pronghorns than a guy back east.

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Are you bringing that on as a carryon? Or checking? If checking how do you ensure it stays close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, too big for carry on. It get's checked. There are tabs on the corners for putting locks through. I don't use locks, I just use big zipties to ensure the lid stays closed during baggage handling.

1628180503928.png

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first antelope hunt and I opted to fly out rather than driving. I hunt WT and elk out west every year and I have always driven and taken large cooler(s). I think I can get an entire antelope in one of the Rtic 40 soft side coolers and have it as a carry on with frozen meat, well at least I think I can. Any personal experience with this size?

I just saw a GoHunt video where they fit an entire antelope into a Yeti Hopper 30, so I imagine the 40 would do just fine.

OP
B

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, great feedback! I will post a report if successful.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Yeti Hopper 30 that I have carried on a Delta flight DFW-BOI (Boise, ID) and then again a United flight from DFW-OGG (Maui). It was a smooth transition and no one questioned size at all.

TX_Diver

WKR
B4D96B45-770E-49DF-AB06-651EF649BB16.jpegUnited just got me for $140 for my cooler. They Didn’t measure it (it was 65” total which is 3” oversize) but they wouldn’t budge on the 58 lbs. they did at least move me to an economy plus seat.
Bone in with no ice in a cheap Coleman cooler. Legs off at the knees. No head