AIWB Comfort w/ Glock 19 or PDP Compact

treillw

WKR
Thinking of getting my first AIWB holster for a Glock 19 or more likely a PDP compact. Regardless of the gun, it's going to live in a Tier 1 Concealed Axis Elite or Agis Elite holster. How comfortable is it carrying a gun of this size AIWB?

I've carried guns ranging from a 3" 1911 to a 4 pound 500 S&W (literally over 20 miles through the mountains in a day hunting) in the 3:00 position OWB. Practically nothing can be as uncomfortable as that 500 after a few days of putting on miles, but I don't want to live in agony if avoidable. I also carry the 1911 at 4:00 IWB. But I've never carried anything AIWB. I guess I could always spin the 1911 around to appendix to get a rough feel for it with the IWB holster that I have now.

I stumbled across this website that is pretty awesome for comparing gun sizes. It looks like a compact PDP wouldn't be a ton bigger than my 3" Kimber. If you align the grips in the "Tabletop Comparison", the PDP is about an inch longer on the slide and nearly an inch longer on the grip.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/kimber-1911-ultra-vs-walther-pdp-compact-4

I'm also considering the G43x. Don't know if I want to go down that road though - I only feel that it's worth me carrying if the SA 15 round mags work, which seems to be a real dangerous crap shoot. The G43x is about the same size as my Kimber and isn't much different in capacity either. If I'm feeling lazy, I have a Kahr P380 that fits in just about any pocket.

I'm 6', 180-185 pounds, athletic build, minimal tactical cushioning around the beltline.

Thanks for the input!

bat-cave

WKR
My .02 is that "Comfort" & AIWB carry are over rated. I do carry AIWB, but I also carry strong side. It depends upon the clothing, activity etc ... I am 5'10" & 165 lbs FWIW.

If I am wearing a T-shirt and no cover garment, I find it difficult to readily conceal most guns. The larger the gun, the greater the challenge, but AIWB is going to be my Go To 90% of the time. I run a T1 Axis Elite most of the time with a G48 (RMR) and walking around it's great. I also don't have a huge issue sitting most of the time. What does suck ... little things like tying your shoes or trying to use a public urinal. These are largely non issues even with something like a G19 if you have a cover garment ... but then I typically shift to Strong side as it's simply easier and more comfortable across the board.

I know I will get some hate for not being a lover of AIWB. AIWB is without a doubt faster than strong side and it shows in my range times. But given I carry most of the time and lack the girth to otherwise hide larger firearms (G19 or equivalent is as large as I carry IWB) ... I pick and choose and practice from both positions as well as OWB A LOT! I don't even have overly large hands so for me the real issue is the extra barrel length. I know that can shoot pocket guns well, but I am not really one of them and a G48 is pretty easy to conceal.

FWIW, I do own a G43x ... but am hands down more accurate with my G48. I am active in a shooting program and this is a standard theme where we have all moved to G48's over the G43x. All of us are running Shield Mags and Mag releases as an FYI ... Shoot them side and by side and see what shoots better at various ranges and then I suggest having holster options that allow you to carry under the clothing and conditions as appropriate. My .02

I carry the G19 every day AIWB, though usually off center to my strong hand, about 11 o'clock. I favor the T Rex holster, though I sometimes go with the Tier 1 or Blackpoint. I find the T Rex to be the most comfortable and the most concealed. I can usually wear a t-shirt without much print, but of course it depends on the fit. I'm tall and and in good shape so that probably helps with the concealment, but generally I don't find it too challenging to conceal this gun. When I need to, I just wear an outer shirt unbuttoned to good effect. If I need to dress up, I'll go with a Phlster system, which allows you to wear pretty much anything at a little cost in ability to draw quickly.

No issues carrying a 19 aiwb for me. I'm tempted to try a 48 though. Lots of guys I work with carry the 43x or 48 with shield mags and have had no issues when using the shield mag release. I use a TXC X1 holster without a second mag. Very minimalist and with the claw it conceals well.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a Glock 45 aiwb almost daily and no issue. I use an LAS concealment holster. Any of the bigger quality brands are going to make a quality holster. I’m usually in t shirt or polo but even in a suit it’s comfortable and conceals well. Much more comfortable weight wise than when I carry any of my 1911s

Woitey

FNG
Love the T-rex with the sidecar. But the most comfortable AIWB holster I've ever used is the Phlister Enigma. Looks hokey and cheap but its neither. Doesn't need a belt, you can wear it with gym shorts. I carry it with a G19, RMR, and Surefire 300A.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Carry an HK45c AIWB. It works very well. I actually find I like it better with the larger gun then with my wifes M&P Shield.

I use a homemade hard rold horse hide holster though, so no help on that front.

P365XL in a M3 tactical FELDR aiwb holster is very comfortable to me. It replaced a G19 in a T1C holster. Much more comfortable for only 3 less round. I think pistol width has a lot to do with comfort when carrying aiwb.

I think comfort will generally always favor the slimmer pistol. (Beavertails and hammers of SAO guns notwithstanding.) My G48 and G43 are more comfortable than my G19.

I have the shield arms mags but haven't spent enough time with them to give a fair opinion. Palmetto is releasing 15 round mags dor thier compact dagger that will work with G48/G43x and use the factory mag release, so that is something promising for the future.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
If you shoot a G48 well, that would be about as ideal an AIWB gun as any. I carry a G19 AIWB and would carry a G48 if I didn’t have such XL hands (I am way more comfortable with normal size grips as opposed to slimline pistols). 4” barrel length is ideal for AIWB in my opinion. I have arrived at that conclusion after experimenting with the following over the past decade: S&W M&P Compact 3.5” barrel, S&W M&P full size 4.25” barrel, S&W Shield, G19, G17. I’m 6’3” athletic build, and of the aforementioned group, G19 and M&P 4.25” have worked best for AIWB for me. Anything shorter tends to roll outward with the waistband. Anything slimmer for me results in a compromised firing grip.

Understand that you will more than likely need to experiment with multiple brands and styles of AIWB holsters to find what works for you. You sound pretty set on a couple specific Tier1 “sidecar” style holsters, and while those are certainly en vogue right now, they are not necessarily comfortable for everyone or all the time. Sidecar holsters pretty well lock your holster into one constant position without much flexibility laterally on your waistband. Everyone finds a slightly different sweet spot on their waistline for their specific firearm, concealment goals, and comfort. A stand-alone holster and mag holster combo gives you greater versatility and flexibility. I used to carry a spare mag in its own AIWB holster in combination with my standalone AIWB G19. Now I rarely carry that spare mag on my body, usually in a daypack. YMMV

Things I have found that help a ton feature-wise on AIWB holsters:
- a feature to rotate the grip inward towards the torso (often called a “wing claw” or similar)
- mid-height sweat guard
- smooth and rounded edges against your body (you would think all AIWB holsters would be designed this way, but they aren’t)
- the smallest, most trim footprint possible without massive kydex flanges or edges surrounding the gun. You will feel all that shit
- Discreet Carry Concepts spring steel clips. Anything other quick belt attachment option is inferior by a long shot.

My current favorite is the Tenicor Certum3 AIWB, I use one of the two Discreet Carry Concepts clips, and I removed the lower retention adjustment screw and Dremeled away some more kydex to reduce the profile. Other notable mention is the JM Custom Kydex “The George” AIWB with no “extra tuck” wedge built in, but with the neoprene sponge pad option. Very comfortable, and I believe they offer DCC steel clips too.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I use ANR holsters for aiwb, whatever you get, get one with the wing/claw to bring the gun closer to your torso. I agree with the above, do not like the sidecar/double clip type holster because of the limitations of positioning. Also, comfort level for me is more about barrel length than width of the gun. I have a 48 that feeds shield mags all day, but the longer barrel digs in a bit more after time/a lot of sitting. I prefer my p10s, which is double stack and wider, but shorter barrel. I barely notice it’s there.
Also, whatever holster you go with, loctite every screw/fastener on that thing.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
If you shoot a G48 well, that would be about as ideal an AIWB gun as any. I carry a G19 AIWB and would carry a G48 if I didn’t have such XL hands (I am way more comfortable with normal size grips as opposed to slimline pistols). 4” barrel length is ideal for AIWB in my opinion. I have arrived at that conclusion after experimenting with the following over the past decade: S&W M&P Compact 3.5” barrel, S&W M&P full size 4.25” barrel, S&W Shield, G19, G17. I’m 6’3” athletic build, and of the aforementioned group, G19 and M&P 4.25” have worked best for AIWB for me. Anything shorter tends to roll outward with the waistband. Anything slimmer for me results in a compromised firing grip.

Understand that you will more than likely need to experiment with multiple brands and styles of AIWB holsters to find what works for you. You sound pretty set on a couple specific Tier1 “sidecar” style holsters, and while those are certainly en vogue right now, they are not necessarily comfortable for everyone or all the time. Sidecar holsters pretty well lock your holster into one constant position without much flexibility laterally on your waistband. Everyone finds a slightly different sweet spot on their waistline for their specific firearm, concealment goals, and comfort. A stand-alone holster and mag holster combo gives you greater versatility and flexibility. I used to carry a spare mag in its own AIWB holster in combination with my standalone AIWB G19. Now I rarely carry that spare mag on my body, usually in a daypack. YMMV

Things I have found that help a ton feature-wise on AIWB holsters:
- a feature to rotate the grip inward towards the torso (often called a “wing claw” or similar)
- mid-height sweat guard
- smooth and rounded edges against your body (you would think all AIWB holsters would be designed this way, but they aren’t)
- the smallest, most trim footprint possible without massive kydex flanges or edges surrounding the gun. You will feel all that shit
- Discreet Carry Concepts spring steel clips. Anything other quick belt attachment option is inferior by a long shot.

My current favorite is the Tenicor Certum3 AIWB, I use one of the two Discreet Carry Concepts clips, and I removed the lower retention adjustment screw and Dremeled away some more kydex to reduce the profile. Other notable mention is the JM Custom Kydex “The George” AIWB with no “extra tuck” wedge built in, but with the neoprene sponge pad option. Very comfortable, and I believe they offer DCC steel clips too.
Do you find that holsters without the mag carrier (similar to the Certum3) rock back and forth? It is my understanding that the holsters that have mag carriers don't wiggle around as much and offer a consistent grip.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Not a Glock guy, but fwiw - I often carry a Sig P365 AIWB and I find it manageable. I’ve also carried (but not as much) a P320 Carry, P229 and P320 Full size AIWB, with the P320 Full size in a PHlster Enigma. Recently I’ve begun to have second thoughts about AIWB - for comfort when sitting, and in general with a striker fired pistol, so I’ve just ordered a Milt Sparks VM2 for 3 or 4 o’clock, and I am leaning towards switching to my M11-A1 for EDC. (The VM2 will work for appendix, but MS does not recommend appendix carry.)

AIWB is for me the best for concealment.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Do you find that holsters without the mag carrier (similar to the Certum3) rock back and forth? It is my understanding that the holsters that have mag carriers don't wiggle around as much and offer a consistent grip.
Yes. However, I see that as a desired trait. I actually want my holster to be able to rock and shift with my movement as that makes it more comfortable for me, and therefore easier for me to wear it often and for lengthy periods. And I haven’t found it to be a hindrance on drawing. That’s one advantage to having a larger grip area on the pistol to locate on the draw stroke. If you run your weapon-hand thumb down your torso and drive the web of your thumb high into the tang of the grip every time, it kind of solves the problem if the small shifts in the grip orientation.

Like I said in my first post though, I would approach AIWB holsters with a very open mind. Plan to try several