AK draw results...

Broomd

WKR
I
Alaska's system is the only true method to be fair to everyone, as it should be. It is what it is.
I did ten years as a resident with each system, I can speak unbiased. As a state resident there is no comparison between the two draw systems. Idaho gets it right.

EastMT

WKR
There are def advantages to each system. I like the random, I also like taking advantage of the point system where available. I will likely never draw a Montana bighorn, and that’s why I finally went and got a ewe and had a blast, but I hope to live long enough to go with my boy if or when he draws. I will be putting him in every year until I’m gone or he takes over.

I also like that every time you buy one in AK and others you have a decent chance. At least you get some hope. I don’t think any of them are perfect, but I’ll do my best to take advantage of opportunities when offered, I have points in states for deer and antelope that are 60% draw but I have to plan my vacations a year in advance for work so I need a high chance of draw to make solid plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I hope is that a) everyone here who drew, hunts the tag to the best of their ability and b) does a trip report with pictures for those of us who didn’t draw.

Please 😬

VernAK

WKR
Alaska has looked at the point system several times and those states with point system advised against it as it's expensive to administer and they can't get rid of it. It's difficult to curtail a system after hunters have spent years and dollars accumulating points.

It's also difficulty to get young people interested in hunting if they have to accumulate points for years before getting a tag.

Catchfish

WKR
The one thing that would be nice to change, would be if people draw several tags and know that they can’t do it, or even one tag and their situation has changed and the will not be able to utilize the tag that they could put it back into the pool to be used by somebody else. I know this would be hard to manage. But I know people that have drawn 3 tags and they know they will be focusing on the early sheep tags and the late moose hunt and goat tags are wasted, or the most expensive hunt like trips to Kodiak get unhunted. It would be a nice addition to have added to our draw system in AK.

I drew DS203. A friend drew it two years ago, and this year he drew it again plus the DI454 Copper River bison.

My son drew DS203 last year and we had a great hunt! Congrats and good luck.
731ee0d86987b20d60f48bda27429c0e.jpg

e413d451f8273e04a9ccc708d97f8437.jpg

d150756d1763e2d982eb830fbc961016.jpg

02e8f1e90b40d836f48f48f1fd8cd45f.jpg

6de9c237a83f32fcf2e20219211d3fef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codhead

FNG
I drew a Tok tag. Every once in a while I have to take a look at the screenshot I took of the results, just because I have a hard time believe I actually have a Tok tag.

30-something years after drawing a Tok tag (and being unsuccessful), I drew DS203 ... been on a couple other general area hunts, but like you say, it's still hard to believe I drew anything! Been doing my research on many forums, but would love any advice that folks would be willing to share.

30-something years after drawing a Tok tag (and being unsuccessful), I drew DS203 ... been on a couple other general area hunts, but like you say, it's still hard to believe I drew anything! Been doing my research on many forums, but would love any advice that folks would be willing to share.

I had DS203 last year and my number 1 advice would be to get in as good of shape as you possibly can. The further you get away from the road the better your chances will be. I was successful last year, but the pack out was 22 miles... There are quite a few people that get this tag, only spend a handful of days, and go a few miles from the road.