AK draw results...

But I regard the system as flawed with so many putting in for tags that they never even end up hunting.

I would disagree. But hopefully someone can straighten me out if my thinking is incorrect. Every draw tag that I’m aware of requires hunt reporting. Within that reporting, they ask you if you even hunted and how hard you hunted.

So for example with completely made up numbers for the sake of conversation: They give out 100 tags in the Tok every year knowing the likelihood that 15% of those tags won’t even get hunted. This allows for 15 extra tags to be available every year. If the trend changes over a few years and 100% of the tag holders consistently begin reporting hunting and the annual number of rams harvested increases, then they would need to drop the number of tags issued down to account for this. So in reality, if historical data show a tag consistently having a high number of tag holders not hunting, it will allow more tags to be available and increase your chances of drawing. You can see these trends for each draw and registration tag on the ADFG website. https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=sheephunting.harvest

Also congrats to all you who drew tags! I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures.

Last edited:

MTNRNR

FNG
Nothing for me. I had high hopes for DS203 this year....

Oh well...I guess I'll just shift my focus to spring bear to ease the pain.

OP
Molon Labe
We got a yes for 13C moose. Happy but also dredding it.
Gakona crossing or the nasty trail from the bottom?
Oh boy this is going to be interesting.

ericF

WKR
No luck on Moose here or the extra unit for guided Dall hunt. Congrats to those who drew.

weaver

WKR
I can't believe it! My first name was misspelled on my draw application and therefore I didn't look it up correctly.
I got my POW bear tag AND DM790!!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
! But I regard the system as flawed with so many putting in for tags that they never even end up hunting.

If everyone who drew a tag was a dedicated killer...there'd be far fewer tags to start with. ADFG bases the number of available tags from successful harvest data, so the guys who draw and don't hunt actually up your odds.

Broomd

WKR
If everyone who drew a tag was a dedicated killer...there'd be far fewer tags to start with. ADFG bases the number of available tags from successful harvest data, so the guys who draw and don't hunt actually up your odds.
I get that, Hm. Big difference between being a dedicated killer and someone who puts his family in for 35 tags, draws seven of them and maybe hunts three.
There are many, many hunters who would love the chance to get out and try for even one of those wasted tag
opportunities.
AK's system is terrible. The draw system is one thing that Idaho gets right.

Broomd

WKR
I was lucky enough to draw a early tok permit!! I called 40 mile air first thing and they will be dropping us at Rock Candy creek. I know its a lot to ask, but has anyone here been in the area before? Thanks
If that's a legitimate drainage, I WOULD DELETE that posting... research using the PM system.

If that's a legitimate drainage, I WOULD DELETE that posting... research using the PM system.

Yes, it is a legitimate drainage. these places are not secrets. the chances of someone hunting the same drainage more than once on this draw are very slim.

Broomd

WKR
Yes, it is a legitimate drainage. these places are not secrets. the chances of someone hunting the same drainage more than once on this draw are very slim.
Suit yourself, I'd delete that reference. Congrats on the tag! I've put in many times for that gem, but no luck....hope you get a great ram.

deadwolf

WKR
I get that, Hm. Big difference between being a dedicated killer and someone who puts his family in for 35 tags, draws seven of them and maybe hunts three.
There are many, many hunters who would love the chance to get out and try for even one of those wasted tag
opportunities.

I love that Idaho makes you pick your top Priority, instead of being able to put in for everything under the sun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opportunities.

Alaska's system is the only true method to be fair to everyone, as it should be. It is what it is.