AK Fishing

zdweller

FNG
My future wife and I will be honeymooning in AK later this summer. Our itinerary will take us from Anchorage to Denali to Homer back to Anchorage. We both love fishing and are planning to fish a couple of days via a charter(s) in Homer. We would also love to try some DIY fishing. We are used to catching trout here in CO. I'm looking for suggestions/pointers on (1) charters out of Homer that are less 'corporate' and more ma-and-pop operations and (2) DIY fishing in the areas that we will be. Thanks in advance!

Timing is everything, late summer, generally speaking can be very good. You’ll be able to find plenty of good charter trips. Trip of a lifetime, get in a float plane, take a day tip fly out to a remote stream.
there are a number of guys who are much more familiar with your itinerary area, I haven’t fished there since I started guiding on the peninsula.
congratulations.

ewade07

WKR
Get the book
Highway Angler, Fishing Alaska's Road System
by Gunnar Pederson.

I used this book on both my trips up there. Its a game changer. You'll thank me later!

bpietila

FNG
Just know that pretty much anywhere you go on the road system will be crowded to some degree. This year may be better than others with probably less out of state travel.

BigKuda

FNG
Comfort Inn is right on Ship Creek you can almost fish out of your hotel window. The creek is right there and many easy access spots

You'll be right on time for silvers... most fun salmon to catch with rod and reel!
They will be in the Fishing Lagoon on the Homer Spit, try floating an egg cluster under a bobber right at first light....

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be getting back home on 8/16. I'll be fishing all along your route except for the Homer area. I'll try to get a report posted for you.

Highway Angler seems tp be a solid resource. I'm comparing it with the Flyfishers Guide to Alaska by Scott Haugen. I like Haugen's book a little better as it has more detail.

Road system fishing by then has calmed down drastically and is very enjoyable.

The highway angler will lay it out for you. On the Parks, pick the streams with access to the mouth/Big Su and fish the silt lines if targeting salmon. You should be able to pick up chrome coho that time of year still. You’ll catch tons of chum and pinks which will be a blast and make for great pictures. There’s plenty of trout and grayling to be had on the way too.

Don’t overlook hiring someone and floating the upper Kenai for sockeye/trout/dollies or lower Kenai for coho that time of year. Although I’ve never fished with them out of Homer, I’m a return client with Ninilchik Charters and send all my company with them. I believe they have a boat in Homer.

Realize your trip as planned has 20-24 hours of time just behind a steering wheel in one week.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Try Daniel Donich out of Homer on his boat, the Optimist, for kings, coho, halibut, and rockfish on the same trip.

Coho and dollies on your own on the Anchor River, Deep Creek, and Ninilchik River.

And by all means float the blue water on the Upper Kenai for the scenery, rainbows, sockeye salmon, and bear viewing.

Tons of lakes with wild rainbows too.

Wapiti1

WKR
The Russian and Kenai will have silvers and some sockeye left. The Kenai is also really good for rainbows. Fly only on the Russian, and watch for the local bears.

Jeremy

solseo49

FNG
My future wife and I will be honeymooning in AK later this summer. Our itinerary will take us from Anchorage to Denali to Homer back to Anchorage. We both love fishing and are planning to fish a couple of days via a charter(s) in Homer. We would also love to try some DIY fishing. We are used to catching trout here in CO. I'm looking for suggestions/pointers on (1) charters out of Homer that are less 'corporate' and more ma-and-pop operations and (2) DIY fishing in the areas that we will be. Thanks in advance!
That's great to hear. There are a number of ways to find fishing spots like, by joining the community, check out the social media, Take the Local Help, and one of the best friend Google Maps.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I have been up there twice for other reasons than fishing but last year i was there mid-august hunting and i wish i had a rod. There were plenty of rivers between anchorage and Tok to just pull over and fish.
Where you are going to Homer i am not as familiar but i wouldn't think it would be too hard. My suggestion is to go and talk to someone at the local outdoor store, might pick up some knowledge there and buy a few things to get them to cough up a couple other tips?