AK moose hunt 2021+

My hunting buddy and I are ready to go moose hunting in Alaska in 2021 or later for the right transport service.

Question I have is, what are some good books or videos to buy/borrow that help in a DIY hunt like this. I have one moose hunting book but I would like to get some more resources. Plan is for a drop camp from a airplane. I have access to a truck up there.

When I narrow down the transporter it will let me know if I need to pack like a sheep hunter or can bring a little more luxury stuff.

The moose section here has been a great resource; along with other fourm members. I thank you for this info.

I’ve already started to upgrade some gear and think about what I need. This will be my 3rd hunting trip to Alaska and not my last.

Got a new fixed blade knife from the parents and sky 5900 from the wife. Already loaded a 50lb bag of dog food on the Stone Glacier pack. 😎D8BC84C8-3827-4BF1-B2DD-B18AFB57B6FE.jpeg88810B11-5CE1-4FE0-A14A-4CF2C85EAF27.jpegA74D21F4-A8F4-46C3-9562-AC9ADCD976D3.jpeg

Wapiti1

WKR
Put in two bags of dog food. Then you'll be closer. Which knife is that? I see S30V, which is good steel.

Take the time to really fit that pack to your body.

Fun stuff. Good luck.

Jeremy

AKLiving

FNG
If you aren't a resident then the guide you hire will likely be your best resource since they will be experts on the area they drop you. Moose are found over a wide range of Alaska so each area will have different hunting.

I haven't read any books so I can't help you with recommendations.

Love, Thunder, an Bull are great DVDs for learning calls but I found just listening to how the cows are calling that week and mimicking them works best. I had 3 bulls standing in line after the bull I took last season because I copied a cow calling across the river the day before. They were all hoping to get in on the action.
An old shoulder blade works great for scraping and flashing if you have one from a previous big game hunt. A Bull Magnet would be my second choice which I've used successfully.
Call just before sunset from where you have a shooting lane and be ready before first light the next morning. Bulls can pinpoint where the call came from. Moose are notorious for wandering unpredictably so don't get discouraged if they seem to wander off. They will be back.

Go as late in the season as you can if you want to get more responses to calling.

If you're doing a fly-in drop camp then ultralight won't make that much difference, just be mindful of what you bring. But then again I don't get hung up on pack lists and learn to use what I have and what I find around me. Gun, bullets, knife, meat bags, binos (depending on where you go), and a way to get dry (notice I didn't say stay dry because you won't). If it won't fit on your back you probably don't need it and your pack is more than adequate for a fly-in.

I like using disposable blade knives but have used fixed blades. My friends say I field dress like I'm performing surgery so that's probably why I like knives like a Havalon disposable. The hide is incredibly tough, much less so if you start skinning from the belly and inside the legs.

Go light when you leave camp for the day. A rear quarter can weigh well over 100lbs and terrain always seems worse heading back to camp.

I used to live in Utah and Idaho. From that perspective, small Alaska bulls look big...sometmes they look over
50 inches and they are in the upper 40s.
One recommendation is not to judge the 50 inch legal bull, count the >=4 brow tines.

For example, the attached jpgs are not legal for non-residents in a four-brow tine or 50 inch zone.

Also it is difficult to accurately count 4 brow tines viewing a bull from the side,
wait until the bull looks at you so you can see the bay between the brow tines and the main beam.

Attachments

• moose_marsh.JPG
    moose_marsh.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 93
  • sled_mooseantlers (800x425).jpg
    sled_mooseantlers (800x425).jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 92
OP
Corey Paulsen (teamkabob)
Put in two bags of dog food. Then you'll be closer. Which knife is that? I see S30V, which is good steel.

Take the time to really fit that pack to your body.

Fun stuff. Good luck.

Jeremy
The knife is a Benchmade Steep Country. I’ve never had a s30v knife so time will tell. I love my grips from Benchmade for work and utility knives. I plan to add more weight to the pack, but need to fit it first before bumping up the weight.

OP
Akliving thanks for the tips. I’m a nonresident from KC. What I’m seeing is your transporter will make or break your hunt. Thanks for the tips you’ve provided. It’s true Mother Nature is king and I didn’t plan to be dry the whole time. I’ve mostly ruled out a float hunt and as the river conditions can change rapidly high or low.

If you aren't a resident then the guide you hire will likely be your best resource since they will be experts on the area they drop you. Moose are found over a wide range of Alaska so each area will have different hunting. I like disposable blades too, have a tyto but plan to have a fixed blade at camp.

I haven't read any books so I can't help you with recommendations.

Love, Thunder, an Bull are great DVDs for learning calls but I found just listening to how the cows are calling that week and mimicking them works best. I had 3 bulls standing in line after the bull I took last season because I copied a cow calling across the river the day before. They were all hoping to get in on the action.
An old shoulder blade works great for scraping and flashing if you have one from a previous big game hunt. A Bull Magnet would be my second choice which I've used successfully.
Call just before sunset from where you have a shooting lane and be ready before first light the next morning. Bulls can pinpoint where the call came from. Moose are notorious for wandering unpredictably so don't get discouraged if they seem to wander off. They will be back.

Go as late in the season as you can if you want to get more responses to calling.

If you're doing a fly-in drop camp then ultralight won't make that much difference, just be mindful of what you bring. But then again I don't get hung up on pack lists and learn to use what I have and what I find around me. Gun, bullets, knife, meat bags, binos (depending on where you go), and a way to get dry (notice I didn't say stay dry because you won't). If it won't fit on your back you probably don't need it and your pack is more than adequate for a fly-in.

I like using disposable blade knives but have used fixed blades. My friends say I field dress like I'm performing surgery so that's probably why I like knives like a Havalon disposable. The hide is incredibly tough, much less so if you start skinning from the belly and inside the legs.

Go light when you leave camp for the day. A rear quarter can weigh well over 100lbs and terrain always seems worse heading back to camp.
I used to live in Utah and Idaho. From that perspective, small Alaska bulls look big...sometmes they look over
50 inches and they are in the upper 40s.
One recommendation is not to judge the 50 inch legal bull, count the >=4 brow tines.

For example, the attached jpgs are not legal for non-residents in a four-brow tine or 50 inch zone.

Also it is difficult to accurately count 4 brow tines viewing a bull from the side,
wait until the bull looks at you so you can see the bay between the brow tines and the main beam.
Ak skeeter, judging is going to be a challenge, unless I get into the few any bull units or put in the the draw.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
As far as gear goes, for moose hunting I really like my 375HH and my Wyoming saw.

for books, I’d check out Larry bartletts float dragging Alaska Books, not moose specific but tons of good advice. You also might think about doing a float based hunt, IMO that’s really the way to roll for moose hunting, at least for me. I love float hunting.

I find it to be sort of hard to prepare for moose hunting physically because it’s basically all about hauling heavy packs out of swamps, that’s sort of hard to simulate unless you live on the tundra, sheep hunting prep is easy...go hiking with a pack on. For moose I think just being in generally good shape is the way to go, get stronger and do some cardio and that’s about as good as you’re going to get. I’ve started working on standing up with a loaded pack on after tripping last year and getting pinned under a moose quarter.

i would also learn a lot about meat prep in the field, we see lots of soured moose meat here every year from people who didn’t take proper care of their meat.

OP
judging isn't that much of a challenge.....just forget that 50" stuff.....if he doesn't look like 60", don't shoot.
Vern, I’ve heard that when researching more about moose. 60” rule is good to follow. Alaska fish and game has a good YouTube video I have watched too in the distance between the eyes being 9-10”.

As far as gear goes, for moose hunting I really like my 375HH and my Wyoming saw.

for books, I’d check out Larry bartletts float dragging Alaska Books, not moose specific but tons of good advice. You also might think about doing a float based hunt, IMO that’s really the way to roll for moose hunting, at least for me. I love float hunting.

I find it to be sort of hard to prepare for moose hunting physically because it’s basically all about hauling heavy packs out of swamps, that’s sort of hard to simulate unless you live on the tundra, sheep hunting prep is easy...go hiking with a pack on. For moose I think just being in generally good shape is the way to go, get stronger and do some cardio and that’s about as good as you’re going to get. I’ve started working on standing up with a loaded pack on after tripping last year and getting pinned under a moose quarter.

i would also learn a lot about meat prep in the field, we see lots of soured moose meat here every year from people who didn’t take proper care of their meat.

thinhornak,
I have a 7mm right now and a Wyoming saw will be coming with us. I’ve seen Larry’s book come up a lot, so I will find a copy or order one from him.

I’m concerned about a float hunt, this being my fist moose hunt and navigating a unknow river. But not totally ruled it out. Plus the concerns of meat care and thats my top priority when we get one or both down. I’ve had the rivers up there change on us fast. Both times being high. I can say I hate strainers. I’ve navigate rivers in the lower 48 but not in a raft that is loaded to hunt. Two smaller rafts might be a option.

I couldn’t imagine getting pinned in the mud with a quarter on my back.

A lot of my questions will be answered when from the transporter we hire to get us out.

I’m sending you both a PM to talk more if you don’t mind.

Corey

I am in a similar situation as well, teamkabob. me And two hunting buddies are planning a 2021 trip as well. One of us will be going for a moose, the other two for caribou. We will also have a few black bear and wolf tags just in case. There are not many units that will be good for both moose and bou for non residents, so We are somewhat limited.
We really want to get into 20d-20e with 40MA but we are new customers so that may not work out. It’s a gamble if we wait and try to get in with them next go round, their prices are cheaper, or book now with someone like Tok Air Service, more expensive.

OP
I am in a similar situation as well, teamkabob. me And two hunting buddies are planning a 2021 trip as well. One of us will be going for a moose, the other two for caribou. We will also have a few black bear and wolf tags just in case. There are not many units that will be good for both moose and bou for non residents, so We are somewhat limited.
We really want to get into 20d-20e with 40MA but we are new customers so that may not work out. It’s a gamble if we wait and try to get in with them next go round, their prices are cheaper, or book now with someone like Tok Air Service, more expensive.
Sending you a PM

AKBorn

WKR

I always fly with 40 Mile Air, but have seen Zack flying hunters into the same general (large) areas. If there are three of you going - please understand that (unless something has changed) I believe that Zach uses one plane to fly people into the field. If you are trying to hunt BOTH moose and caribou, you may be flying farther out from Tok than if you were just hunting moose. With just one plane, that will take 6-10 hours to get all three of you flown into the field, so you will need a good weather day to get in, and a good weather day to get out, or you may not all get in and out on the same day. That can turn into a logistical pain in the arse...just wanted you to have the info to think about.

I always fly with 40 Mile Air, but have seen Zack flying hunters into the same general (large) areas. If there are three of you going - please understand that (unless something has changed) I believe that Zach uses one plane to fly people into the field. If you are trying to hunt BOTH moose and caribou, you may be flying farther out from Tok than if you were just hunting moose. With just one plane, that will take 6-10 hours to get all three of you flown into the field, so you will need a good weather day to get in, and a good weather day to get out, or you may not all get in and out on the same day. That can turn into a logistical pain in the arse...just wanted you to have the info to think about.
very good point, we had not thought of that. Thanks

There is some very good and sage advice from experienced voices in this thread.

There's nothing like being the last soldier in camp and hearing your pilot say "It's not looking great, but I'll try to get back in here. You got what you need in case you have to spend an extra night or two?"

It's happened to me. It's happened to friends. Be sure you have a backup plan.... for your backup plan. Alaska is uncompromising.

VernAK

WKR

There's nothing like being the last soldier in camp and hearing your pilot say "It's not looking great, but I'll try to get back in here. You got what you need in case you have to spend an extra night or two?"

It's happened to me. It's happened to friends. Be sure you have a backup plan.... for your backup plan. Alaska is uncompromising.

BTDT!......more than once!

Remote hunting is a logistical game and there are numerous variables to factor in.
9/11/92 brought interior Alaska a huge blizzard with deep snow, very high winds and temperatures below zero. Rivers froze, rafters and boaters left gear in the bush and hoped for rescue. We thought we could hike to lower elevation and find a bare landing strip but that wasn't the case. Delta had 2' of snow and it stayed until the next May. After a week, we had our tiny landing strip tramped down and our pilot came in with a Cub on skis.

9/11/2001 Twin Towers attack closed all air space in the US. Unaware hunters were stranded in the bush for a few days.

OP

Kevin I sent you a PM

OP
BTDT!......more than once!

Remote hunting is a logistical game and there are numerous variables to factor in.
9/11/92 brought interior Alaska a huge blizzard with deep snow, very high winds and temperatures below zero. Rivers froze, rafters and boaters left gear in the bush and hoped for rescue. We thought we could hike to lower elevation and find a bare landing strip but that wasn't the case. Delta had 2' of snow and it stayed until the next May. After a week, we had our tiny landing strip tramped down and our pilot came in with a Cub on skis.

9/11/2001 Twin Towers attack closed all air space in the US. Unaware hunters were stranded in the bush for a few days.
Vern, Ive heard stories of 911 and being stuck in the bush as nobody could fly. Also a close friend that was hunting the day in the North Brooks and the first voice mail he listed to was "We been attacked and are going to war". These are truly logistics of flying up that that can't be planned.

The lesson is simply to not be completely shocked or derailed by events outside your control. From 9-11 stuff to destructive bears to downed planes....not to mention unpredictable weather....it can happen. And if it happens you'll be far from anyone who can offer help. Remote backcountry hunts (if you do enough of them) will eventually require you to deal with issues, solve problems, and provide for your own keep until things improve. Being mentally strong and fundamentally creative are positives.

I had just flown south out of Yellowknife NT when the 9-11 attacks happened. Our plane was forced down in Edmonton AB and I was stuck there many days. How I got home is a story unto itself, and involves a wife, travel agent, several friends, bribes, buses, planes, cars and a marching band.