AK moose hunt 2021+

As far as gear goes, for moose hunting I really like my 375HH and my Wyoming saw.

for books, I’d check out Larry bartletts float dragging Alaska Books, not moose specific but tons of good advice. You also might think about doing a float based hunt, IMO that’s really the way to roll for moose hunting, at least for me. I love float hunting.

I find it to be sort of hard to prepare for moose hunting physically because it’s basically all about hauling heavy packs out of swamps, that’s sort of hard to simulate unless you live on the tundra, sheep hunting prep is easy...go hiking with a pack on. For moose I think just being in generally good shape is the way to go, get stronger and do some cardio and that’s about as good as you’re going to get. I’ve started working on standing up with a loaded pack on after tripping last year and getting pinned under a moose quarter.

i would also learn a lot about meat prep in the field, we see lots of soured moose meat here every year from people who didn’t take proper care of their meat.

I prefer a .338 win mag but that’s just me... haha

Agree 110% with everything said here. Went on my first moose hunt in 2019. Will be going on another moose float trip in 2021. After that incredible experience I don’t think I could ever do a drop camp.

Physical fitness like said above just be in decent shape with strong cardio and be MENTALLY prepared. Moose hunting can be verrrryyy slow, boring, and discouraging. If you get a bull down be ready to embrace the suck hauling that thing on your back through tundra/muskeg. I too fell and got pinned under a hind quarter. Getting up was pretty tough, luckily I had my brother to help.

Books: Larry Bartlett and micheal strahan

Gear:
-the best rain jacket you can find
-all gear needs to be waterproof or able to get SOAKED and still function
-trekking poles

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I prefer a .338 win mag but that’s just me... haha

Agree 110% with everything said here. Went on my first moose hunt in 2019. Will be going on another moose float trip in 2021. After that incredible experience I don’t think I could ever do a drop camp.

Physical fitness like said above just be in decent shape with strong cardio and be MENTALLY prepared. Moose hunting can be verrrryyy slow, boring, and discouraging. If you get a bull down be ready to embrace the suck hauling that thing on your back through tundra/muskeg. I too fell and got pinned under a hind quarter. Getting up was pretty tough, luckily I had my brother to help.

Books: Larry Bartlett and micheal strahan

Gear:
-the best rain jacket you can find
-all gear needs to be waterproof or able to get SOAKED and still function
-trekking poles

cant go wrong with a 338wm, I see a lot of those up here and would get one if I didn’t have a few 375s already. For the last several years I just used my 30-06 until last winter when I saw my buddy drop his bull with his 375, I was sold on it after that.