AK Moose prep pics

OP
standswittaknife
I’m glad the guy is healing.. bad deal.. ok poor transition into luxury items.. multiple charges, cribbage, meat preserve citrus spray. (Never had to use it) and the orange dealies i found somewhere and they are amazing to put on your tipi pole and be able to hang wet gloves, socks, shorts, etc over the stove for drying in your tent.. a book is not a luxury item it’s an essential.. also some salty wench seasoning if we get lucky and have some moose meat in camp.. well and the glass of whiskey would be a nice touch too..

Anyone have something they’d add for a luxury item?
e4278a34a86cae94f2630d1582b3b0a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always interested by how different our wants and needs can be on a long hunt.

I don't even consider taking a book, game, cards, music or entertainment diversion of any kind. I consider my camera a type of diversion, and I use it when I have down time. Mostly I just stay busy with camp chores and keeping in touch with my surroundings. I consider citric acid (for meat) an essential item.

Biggest luxury item I take....and it's almost an essential for me....is my original Helinox Chair built by Mystery Ranch many years ago. I've sat on the ground, on stumps, rocks and buckets. None of them allowed me to sit back and relax. The chair goes....I'd probably get by on less food before giving it up.

Because I have facial hair and it grows quickly, I found this really neat little beard trimmer. It runs on ONE AA battery and does a heck of a job. It's so small it's basically a freebie for space and weight. Luxury item for sure.

One freeze-dried dessert....absolute luxury.

rayporter

WKR
there are certain things one begins to crave after some time in the back country. being able to lean back to relax is definitely one or those.

i have a crazy creek but it just dont quite cut it. i have sat in the helinox and it works.

a nip of capt. private stock.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
A "luxury item" on a two-week remote drop hunt does not exist for me. My Helinox chair, a bit of good Irish to sip at the very end of the day (in that Helinox chair) under the night sky, or under a tarp if it's raining...both non-luxury items. Yup, everything I bring is essential.

Well, let me take that back. I do bring one MAYBE luxury item (pictured below...I just went out and set it up outside my wood-shed for the picture). After years of making a shitter out of whatever the setting gave me, I started bringing this on drop-hunts...
IMG_3652.jpg

Ironically, it is the only item that I have ever had stolen by someone when my gear was piled on a pallet in a hanger along-side other pallets of gear of different hunting groups. Actually, I guess that makes my point...it's essential!

NUGGET

WKR
Many may disagree with me but to me moose hunting is BORING. I rarely read in town because of constant distractions like work, kids, and just life period. Same with even having a cold beer. It just doesn't happen. When I go to moose camp its to whack a moose, drink some beer, smoke some weed and read some damn books. I get up early and stay out late. I think there's this notion that guys that do the above are not serious hunters etc but thats not true. There's never been a situation where the moose has been too far. Last years moose took 3 solid days of 14-15 hours to get him back to camp. Most would of just eye f***ed him and shared spotter pics. Went down there called him into 12 yards and piled him up. The 2nd moose of the trip died within 500 yards of camp. Each day started with coffee and ended with a cold beer.

Had a trip one year were we saw 1 bull in 14 days and I passed him up (low 50's). He was a legal bull but just not what we were after. 14 days of up early, glassing and calling. 1 damn bull. Buddy who didn't drink gave up for the most part after day 6. I kept at it and on day 15 called in a 69 3/4" bull. Trip went from horrible to amazing in 15 secs. I remember my buddy looking over at me asking how I kept a positive attitude the whole time. I couldn't bear to tell him the 3B secret to moose hunting success. That's because 1 out of the 3 B's was illegal at the time :D

There's no luxury item on my moose hunts. We are limited by weight but every ounce of beer bud and books keeps my mental game sharp to get a moose. I've had trips where I didn't take the 3 B's. Yeah they were fun, yeah we killed moose but they were even more boring than usual for a moose hunt.

Point is you can't take too much stuff on a moose hunt and take whats going to keep your attitude positive. Moose hunting can be slow and a lot of guys give up just when its getting good. Take whats going to keep you out there all day every day. Except meth. Don't take meth.

AKBorn

WKR
?? Sorry, I don’t understand, can you provide a little more information on what you’re talking about?

I think he's referencing the updated COVID testing guidance, where non-res can pay $250 to have the test taken at the airport in AK. I think he's overlooking that some of the quarantine updates in that guidance are more favorable to non-res than the earlier guidance had been. Also, I THINK )I scanned it pretty fast, not in detail) that you can now show profo of having taken a test in the last 72 hours and then quarantine in AK, as opposed to having to show the RESULTS of a test administered in the past 72 hours...

PA Hunter

WKR
?? Sorry, I don’t understand, can you provide a little more information on what you’re talking about?

I saw the post above somewhere in this thread about the new restrictions to enter Alaska August 11th that non residents will be charged to take a covid test if they didn't get one prior to leaving within a certain time. It had a few different scenarios.

AKDoc.....I love ya bud, but I simply cannot help giggling at that bedside toilet. That white plastic ring looks like a c-c-cold sit. All in fun of course.....

I take my toilet every where I go on a hunt. I call it the Squatty Potty and it’s all I’ve ever used. No setup required!
😎

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
AKDoc.....I love ya bud, but I simply cannot help giggling at that bedside toilet. That white plastic ring looks like a c-c-cold sit. All in fun of course.....

I take my toilet every where I go on a hunt. I call it the Squatty Potty and it’s all I’ve ever used. No setup required!
😎

Laughter is a good thing right now KD, which was my purpose...I'm glad you were laughing, although I do truly bring it on drop-hunts!

However, it's not a bedside toilet...I'm sitting out on high ground, glassing with my binoc's and multi-tasking!

(my apologies to the OP for topic drift)

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Mailed off my camp and a good amount of food Friday from Colorado and supposed to be delivered tomorrow.. hardly believe that..

Best wishes to you for a wonderful and safe adventure.

We will ship-out our gear from ANC to BET in a few weeks...fingers crossed! I'm starting to feel some coolness in the nite air here...but it just might be all in my head because I do get extra excited this time of year for my planned hunting adventures.

VernAK

WKR
RealTree Growler.jpgRealTree Growler.jpg

Doc,
I couldn't find a pic of the Geezer Ridge toilet but it's the same as my trout camp toilet. I take two totes of food along.........eat the food....nest one tote inside the other and spray foam between as a bonding and stiffening agent. These have been in use for a decade.