AK Mountain Goat - Location Help

Big Ern

WKR
Hi,

I am looking to book a mountain goat hunt in AK and would like to get on an outfitter's list as I know the wait times are increasing rapidly. I am a NR and have never been to AK. I should note that my goals on this trip are to (1) hunt in the most scenic/beautiful location in AK; (2) work with a guide that is positive and loves to share the mountain experience with his clients; and (3) have a heck of a fun adventure. Note that getting a trophy is not a priority.

My research, thus, far has lead me to the following possible areas and would appreciate others' experience and insight on where/who would be the best fit.

1) Kodiak (Rick Hoskins, Cole Kramer, Jake Jefferson):
2) SE AK (Ed Toribio)
3) Cordova (Lonesome Dove)

If there are other locations I am missing, please let me know.

Thank you.
BE

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted last year on Baranof Island/ Sitka with Jim Phillips Anahootz Alaskan Adventures. Guide was fantastic and goat numbers are really high on the island. Lots of goats but you better be in shape as the terrain is rugged. Beautiful country. 17B82F1E-2572-4F60-BF78-A5C49B12CFEA.jpegB25A3444-FBAB-4C61-A20C-9311C0B95543.jpeg

kjw

WKR
Anywhere you go in Alaska is going to be insanely beautiful. Your off to a good start by researching outfitters and having a list. I would contact them each and get a feel for what kind of hunt they provide and what your wanting out of a hunt. Get some contacts from previous hunters and see what they had for experiences. Some of the areas you look at might be draw tags vs otc tags also.
Just a heads up, Alaska is worse than heroin. It’s addicting and you’ll want to be back every year.

schmalzy

WKR
Hi,

I am looking to book a mountain goat hunt in AK and would like to get on an outfitter's list as I know the wait times are increasing rapidly. I am a NR and have never been to AK. I should note that my goals on this trip are to (1) hunt in the most scenic/beautiful location in AK; (2) work with a guide that is positive and loves to share the mountain experience with his clients; and (3) have a heck of a fun adventure. Note that getting a trophy is not a priority.

My research, thus, far has lead me to the following possible areas and would appreciate others' experience and insight on where/who would be the best fit.

1) Kodiak (Rick Hoskins, Cole Kramer, Jake Jefferson):
2) SE AK (Ed Toribio)
3) Cordova (Lonesome Dove)

If there are other locations I am missing, please let me know.

Thank you.
BE

BE,

All your options draw guys or have you found any good otc/registration permit hunts?

Thanks for starting this thread, been doing research for 2023 or 2024 and have the same goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Had a fabulous experience with Ed Toribio/Primo outfitters hunting Misty Fjords National Monument. Plenty of adventure and trophy goats. First class operation all the way. Feel free to PM for details.

Had a fabulous experience with Ed Toribio/Primo outfitters hunting Misty Fjords National Monument. Plenty of adventure and trophy goats. First class operation all the way. Feel free to PM for details.

He's one of the best for sure, so are his areas and guides.

Bighorse

WKR
Southern SE Alaska has the best goat genetics. I can't and won't recommend a particular guide. If this is your first goat hunt I would choose the earlier dates to optimize your length of day light and less exposure to freezing conditions. Be in great shape to optimize your mountain travel capacity. The goat you want is most likely further than you want. If you shoot a huge old billy 7+ than having a three person team will be best. They are that big vs a standard 3-5yr old. Scenery and beauty tend to come with elevation gained no matter where you're at. Climb baby....Climb! All the places I've hunted goats have grand vistas. Enjoy sir

Jimss

WKR
I would recommend not hunting where there is devil's club! If you've ever hiked through it you know exactly what I mean!