Ak or BC for goat, and with who?

To me, what really makes a great goat is the long hair. Many of the mounts I've seen are full body, which does justice to such a magnificent animal. I'm hunting the North coast of BC (after getting weathered out in 2016) in late September with Wild Coast Outfitters, who are adjacent to Milligan and close to Bolen Lewis. You may want to take a look at them also. Any pics of September and October goats from BC & Alaska would be great to see for comparison on hair length. There are also opportunities for late season (November and later) hunts in both areas. It would be interesting to know hair length difference between September, October, and November-later goats.

I think the chances of really bad weather are definitely less so in Sept., especially early Sept., but it is Kodiak and anything is possible. In regards to hide condition, you could see a couple inches difference in hair length from an early Sept. goat compared to an early Oct. goat. Then maybe another inch or so between early Oct. and late Oct. Keep in mind though, Kodiak goat hair, even in early Sept. is pretty decent, and not at all like some of the pictures I've seen of goats down in the lower 48 during that time of year. When I get home from work tonight, I'll take a comparison picture of a Kodiak goat hide taken in the first week of Oct., and then another one taken in the same area the next year, during the first week of Sept.

Kind of hard to show the hair quality of these two goats with just pictures, but here goes. Early Oct. goat
5a5b3f76c63f63d6a6c31770345411ef.jpg
4c622cbe85bfe77411d3fbd3c6b92f3f.jpg

Early Sept goat from the same area.
ce3dd4366c7c184fead855318ea289d4.jpg

bf3857287d548b1bc0b5383e3bdedf8a.jpg

The Oct. goat hair is definitely thicker and more luxurious, but it doesn't show in the pictures and probably wouldn't really show much of a difference in a mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

This was taken on 11/7/16, great hair on it. I would avoid a November hunt, the increase in hair quality isn't that noticeable and the hunting conditions can be very treacherous. Lots of ice, snow, and avalanche conditions increasing.

Have any B&C goats come out of Kodiak Island? I keep hearing how the population is growing and the environmental conditions are good for them and that there's a 2 goat limit in some places, but I never hear about trophy quality being anything other than very nice, representative trophies (which is great!). Just curious why if all conditions are so favorable, why they don't get super large up there.

Have any B&C goats come out of Kodiak Island? I keep hearing how the population is growing and the environmental conditions are good for them and that there's a 2 goat limit in some places, but I never hear about trophy quality being anything other than very nice, representative trophies (which is great!). Just curious why if all conditions are so favorable, why they don't get super large up there.

Was on Kodiak Oct 2018 and my girlfriend took a nice 53” and change Billy. 10 1/8”. Plenty of good Billy’s taken.

That's nice to hear. I just thought maybe genetics were the overriding factor limiting horn growth but it sounds like some animals can get very large and mature.