Ak or BC for goat, and with who?

Hello.
I am in the need of some help.
Looking for a Goat hunt, 2017.
What I do like is a hunt without the aid/use of horses, myself and horses do not come alone so good.
Backpacking, steep hils and bad weather, ok with me.
But, where to go?

Ak or BC?

Then, any tip on who to go with?
These is going to be a goat only hunt.

Thanks all.

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Bolen Lewis is the best there is. Its a backpack hunt, no horses. The price also reflects that they are the best around.

joelbiltz

WKR
I will be hunting with Jim Lancaster of Copper River outfitters in Smithers BC this Sept. Hope to have a good report at the end of Sept.

Bighorse

WKR
Honestly, SE Ak unit 1 has had a string of great winters and lush summers. My family has shot two B&C sized goats in the past two years. An Aprox 56" was shot last year. Unit 1 has potential. Find out who guides in unit one, show up in shape and ready to shoot strait. You'll have opportunity.

bcimport

WKR
Bolen Lewis has been active in marketing and no doubt they shoot some great goats. Milligan I based out of Terrace North of the Skeena adjacent to Bolen Lewis and he hammers big goats too. That country is where the biggest goats in BC are found.

OP
N
Thanks for the help all.
Some PM`s on its way.
I will take a closer look at Bolen Lewis, SE AK and Millligan.

JP100

WKR
I worked with Golden Bear Outfitting in Northern BC last year. Great area with big goats and lots of em. Back back style hunts mainly with air support. Bit better price than Bolen Lewis
feel free to message me about it

todd h

FNG
I would look at Kodiak lots of goats , terrain is mild for goats , lots of blackmails after last 2 easy winters

OP
N
Thanks for helping me.
PM on its way JP100.
Kodiak, well, sounds interesting. You been there on a Goat hunt todd h?

I'll be hunting with Babine Guides out of Smithers, BC this September. Have heard nothing but good things about them. You might have a hard time getting a 2017 hunt booked this late in the game as most of the good outfitters are booked a couple years in advance.

OP
N
Yes, you have a point. Well, I am also ok with 18, as long as I get a good outfitter, I can wait.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I'll give you my own report on Lonesome doves guided goat hunts [cordova Ak.] . When I get home ,the 1st. of October.

todd h

FNG
Yes Norway hunter, I have hunted goats on Kodiak a couple of times. Lots of goats very reasonable prices and milder terrain. If you have any questions I will gladly answer
Todd

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, resurrecting this thread as I'm trying to decide between kodiak or southern BC.

Sounds like kodiak has lots of goats and is more affordable. One concern I have is weather. I seem to read a lot of stories of people spending their kodiak hunt trips in the airport. If we went earlier in September would that lessen the chance of foul weather getting in the way? How much shorter will the hair be than a mid October hunt?

Anyone know if southern BC would be that much better for weather? What I make up for in weather, will I sacrifice in opportunity for goat?

Appreciate any insight folks here can offer.

Thanks,
Ben

Where in southern BC.? The Alberta border on the east is a long ways from the coast range on the west and weather is quite a bit different too. Both have goats.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Good question. Thinking south central/east BC. Within a few hours of cranbrook.
Few outfitters in that area I have looked at are Grand Slam outfitters, elk river valley (although nervous on them since new ownership in the last year), Grizzly Basin and Bugle Basin.

tater

WKR
One thing to bear in mind when booking in BC (north versus south) is access by resident hunters. You will find that due to the access issues, Northern BC usually offers a more remote hunt with less chance of bumping into other hunters. That isn't to say that there aren't more remote areas in the South as well, but due to the concentration of population of people and relative access points you are more likely to encounter residents in the South while you are out in the mountains.

Hello, resurrecting this thread as I'm trying to decide between kodiak or southern BC.

Sounds like kodiak has lots of goats and is more affordable. One concern I have is weather. I seem to read a lot of stories of people spending their kodiak hunt trips in the airport. If we went earlier in September would that lessen the chance of foul weather getting in the way? How much shorter will the hair be than a mid October hunt?

Anyone know if southern BC would be that much better for weather? What I make up for in weather, will I sacrifice in opportunity for goat?

Appreciate any insight folks here can offer.

Thanks,
Ben
I think the chances of really bad weather are definitely less so in Sept., especially early Sept., but it is Kodiak and anything is possible. In regards to hide condition, you could see a couple inches difference in hair length from an early Sept. goat compared to an early Oct. goat. Then maybe another inch or so between early Oct. and late Oct. Keep in mind though, Kodiak goat hair, even in early Sept. is pretty decent, and not at all like some of the pictures I've seen of goats down in the lower 48 during that time of year. When I get home from work tonight, I'll take a comparison picture of a Kodiak goat hide taken in the first week of Oct., and then another one taken in the same area the next year, during the first week of Sept.