AK Outfitter Info

For those that have hunted Dalls in AK, if you have hunted with either Alaska Outfitters Unlimited, Jonah’s Alaskan Adventures or Tyrrell’s Trails and would like to share your experience please PM me. I would like to connect and see how your hunts went. If you have hunted with at least one of them and another outfitter that would be even better as I would really like to talk to some of you that have a couple outfitters to compare. I have spoken to all three and they provided references but I would like to talk to someone who isn’t necessarily screened as one of their references. From a guy who has never hunted sheep your input is much appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my research you have 3 solid options that all operate in the same general area.

I had one more on the list, Dave Morris, and he was who I ended up booking with for 2022.

At this point, they all are good sheep hunters. It really just comes down to the style of the hunt and the experience you are looking to have. Also I found it helpful to compare all in costs as some require additional charters that aren't included in base cost.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

keller

WKR
not trying to muddy the water and make your decision harder as you have 3 solid options.their are a lot of good sheep guides in ak with and without sole concessions.i narrowed my list down to 3 for my first sheep hunt in 2018. cole ellis,matt Snyder,and chuck McMahon. I went with cole ellis and took a nice 11yo ram.the type of hunt you want may help decide. backpack,base camp.... I also like an outfit that does its own flying so you are a priority when in the field. best of luck in your choice its a tough decision. ive spoke with jonah and luke and feel they would both give you a good experience. john

OP
Marine4life
From my research you have 3 solid options that all operate in the same general area.

I had one more on the list, Dave Morris, and he was who I ended up booking with for 2022.

At this point, they all are good sheep hunters. It really just comes down to the style of the hunt and the experience you are looking to have. Also I found it helpful to compare all in costs as some require additional charters that aren't included in base cost.

I talked to Dave. He is pretty well booked out and not sure I want to wait 3 years. This will no doubt be the toughest decision I will make in my hunting career.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve hunted with Jonah 3 times and had three great hunts. Further South, I’ve also hunted with Lance Kronberger 3 times and had three great hunts. My AK experiences have been awesome with these two outfits but are limited to these two. I’ve had no reason to look anywhere else BUT I would love to hunt sheep with Ultimate Thule some day.

OP
Marine4life
I’ve hunted with Jonah 3 times and had three great hunts. Further South, I’ve also hunted with Lance Kronberger 3 times and had three great hunts. My AK experiences have been awesome with these two outfits but are limited to these two. I’ve had no reason to look anywhere else BUT I would love to hunt sheep with Ultimate Thule some day.

I will PM you and would like to chat on the phone if you don’t mind.
I did talk to Don Martin with UT but he told me they are not booking due to their concession being under review. Supposedly I am on his list to call but won’t be until the end of the year.

I personally know the owners/operators of all three you would like additional information on. Aaron, Jonah and Luke are all solid guys and their hunting areas are exceptional. Each offers a slightly different hunt and I do not think you could go wrong with either. Aaron's operation is quite large, though very remote. Jonahs is getting bigger, not as remote but superior guides and the level of effort that Jonah puts into his area is top notch. Luke is small and the hunt you'd have with him will be a very personal hunt in that he doesn't take many clients, but it's in a great area and they've taken exceptional rams as well.

Best of luck on your research and with any luck you'll be going sheep hunting soon!

OP
Marine4life
www.tokmanagementarea.com

If ya have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

My apologies, but are you Matt Snyder or someone else that is a part of this operation, or have you hunted with them? I was under the impression chances for drawing a tag in the TOK was in the single digits. I play the “wish and hope” drawing game all over the west and want to avoid it for my sheep hunt if I can. I will say I have heard great things about this hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My apologies, but are you Matt Snyder or someone else that is a part of this operation, or have you hunted with them? I was under the impression chances for drawing a tag in the TOK was in the single digits. I play the “wish and hope” drawing game all over the west and want to avoid it for my sheep hunt if I can. I will say I have heard great things about this hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sending you a PM...

Josh

OP
Marine4life
I can’t believe it. The outfitter selection process is complete. I learned a lot talking to all the outfitters and references plus a few of you guys on here. So much to consider and glad I kept a spreadsheet with all the notes. I am happy to say I sent my deposit for a 2020 hunt first part of the season to Luke Tyrrell. I like his personal approach to the hunt and even more excited that I get to go next year. I know everyone has their opinions but this is my choice. Thanks for all the help and info. Never too early to start preparing for the actual hunt.

Congrats on concluding the search! I think you will have a fantastic hunt with Luke and certainly believe you couldn't have gone wrong.

Best of luck and keep us posted on the preparation for the hunt.

keller

WKR
Congrats on making a decision.although a tough one.at some point you have to make a leap of faith and go with your gut.have fun. With the preparation.

JLMUELZ

FNG
I can’t believe it. The outfitter selection process is complete. I learned a lot talking to all the outfitters and references plus a few of you guys on here. So much to consider and glad I kept a spreadsheet with all the notes. I am happy to say I sent my deposit for a 2020 hunt first part of the season to Luke Tyrrell. I like his personal approach to the hunt and even more excited that I get to go next year. I know everyone has their opinions but this is my choice. Thanks for all the help and info. Never too early to start preparing for the actual hunt.

How was your hunt? I just booked with Luke for a 2022 hunt. I would love to hear your experience.

OP
Marine4life
It was an amazing experience. I sent you my phone number so give me a call and I will be happy to share more about the experience.