AK Sheep Gear

bates

WKR
Just put down a deposit for a Brooks Range Dall Sheep Hunt with Jonah Stewart!!!!!

I originally made this post back in early to Mid December 2015, I have since bought some gear to test and updated to show.

Most of this is a listing of what all I have available to choose from.

Although I am not going to go until 2017, I am still super excited, my plan is to try and knock out any big gear purchases this year, run everything through the 2016 season and be ready.

I think I have a good jump on things but wanted to get advice and input, first time to AK, first sheep hunt, etc.

Pack

Kifaru 26inch Frame I have both Composite Stays and the UL Arrows

Argali Bag (7000 ci)
Spotting Scope Pocket
Guide Lid
3 Med. Belt Pouches

Optics

Most I have talked to have said leave the spotter at home, have 80mm swaro, will take to basecamp and probably take on the hunt.
Binos- Swaro el 12x50
leica 1000r Rangefinder
Induro Tripod and Gitzo Head (2lb 15.5oz)

Sony RX-100 Camera

Sleeping Gear

Sleeping Bag

Western Mountaineering Badger 15

Exped Synmat Winterlite Pad

I also have the Big Agnes Q-Core SL I have used for 2 Seasons and sleep great on.

Outfitter will supply tent

Clothing

Pants

Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Zip off bottoms have both (145 & 210)
Kuiu Yukon Gaiters

Smartwood and Ex-Offico boxers (going to try the new First Lites though)

Tops

Kuiu 125 & 145 Merino Tops
Kuiu Peleton 130 Top
Sitka Core lightweight short and long sleeve tops
Sitka Core midweight zip t
Kuiu 200 peleton zip
Kuiu 240 zip hoodie

I will take some combination of the Sitka and Kuiu baselayers based on 2016
Wear: 1 Lightweight top, 1 midlayer Pack: 240 zip hoodie 1 extra shirt (145 weight)

Insulation

Sitka Kelvin Ultra light Jacket
Kuiu Kenai Hooded Jacket

Still need to buy insulating pants- looking at the Arcteryx Atom LT's or maybe Sitka will introduce some Kelvin Ultralights, concerned about SD durability.

Raingear

Kuiu Chugach Pants
Sitka Dewpoint Jacket
Kuiu Yukon Gaiters

I might grab a Yukon jacket and take up with me and make a game time decision based on the weather outlook.

Gloves- merino, guide and northstar from Kuiu

Beanie cap and ball cap

Rifle
I am having a 280 Ackley Built now just for these type hunts. wearing a 3-15x42 Zeiss Conquest w/ turrets.
Any particular bullet recommendation, I will probably also have a grizzly tag in my pocket
bullets on hand to test are 150g Accubond LR, 168g berger classics, and maybe 180g bergers-

will pack 15 rounds, dope cards and kestrel

Guide will provide a tent, stove and food, I will bring snacks and maybe a few things just to be sure its stuff I like.

Additional Gear

Black Diamond Carbon Trekking Poles
MSR Water Bladders
Zebralight 18650 and AA headlamps I think (H52w and H600F MKII are what I have now)

small first aid and personal items, blister kit, leukotape

Boots

I talked with Lathrop went through their system and have the Lowa Bighorn GTX Boots with custom Lathrop Bootbeds

plenty of Darntough socks and Bridgedale liners

I loaded up all my gear pack, clothing I would pack, sleeping bag, shelter, pad, support gear, lights etc with optics I was at 33lbs with spotter, tripod and trekking poles strapped to the pack just need water and food.

this included an old sleeping bag so I anticipate I can probably trim 1 to 3 pounds off this. at this point even with food and some water I should be under 50lbs.

I will be 35 yrs old on this hunt, I'm 5'11 and my goal weight for the hunt is going to be around the 185-190 lbs.

Last edited:

idig4au

WKR
Congrats on booking your hunt. It sounds like you have a good jump, if not better than most on the gear list.

I always bring my spotting scope and tripod on these types of trips, but more often than not, it gets left behind and end up just using the guides spotter. Often its not worth packing the redundant weight on a backpacking trip though. I too use the 12x50's Swaro's as my primary glass, and I often just glass off a trekking pole for stability. The tripod without a spotter is just redundant weight to carry. I've yet to shoot a sheep off a tripod.

I have both sets of Kuiu rain gear. I mix and match depending on where I am hunting. The chugach is hard to beat in terms of performance and weight. I typically bring that set along on backpack hunts. I do like the Yukon jacket though.

My preference would be a good sleeping 15 degree down sleeping bag. Marmot Plasma, Kuiu Superdown, WM, FF. I tend to sleep cold so this is personal preference. Could always go with a 30 degree bag and sleep in your puffy gear to save some weight.

In terms of food, I typically bring my own rather than rely on the outfitter. I prepackage meals for each day. You never know what outfitters will have in terms of food and I am pretty picky eater and I also know what works best on my stomach for extended hunts.

Puffy jackets, I have like 5 to choose from. The Kenai is a good jacket, but the wind cuts right through it. Good for hiking in cold weather, but not so good for sitting stationary and glassing. I don't find the SD very warm. My last several hunts, I have been using either the FL puffy or Kifaru's Lost Park Parka. I really like the later as its super warm and cuts the wind. That will probably be my go to insulating layer for future hunts.

Bullet weights are subject to how your gun likes to shoot them. You are paying big bucks for a sheep hunt. Choose a bullet that works best for sheep. I use 168 grain Barnes TTSX at 3100 fps out of my 300 wsm sheep gun.

All in, I'm typically right at 50 lbs pack weight for a 10 day hunt.

Good luck on the hunt. Sheep hunting is an addiction if you catch the fever.

Stid2677

WKR
I have done several sheep hunts in the Brooks and taken Grizzly on 2 of those trips, have a look at this thread as it covers those trips and shows a lot of gear. I have used a 280AI quite a bit as well and mine would not stabilize bullets heavier than 160 grains and I shot 150 or so of the 150LR accubonds and could not get them to shoot well in my factory Kimber. Mine loves the 140 Accubonds and I have killed a couple sheep with it. I have also used a 5200 Kifaru UL pack sheep hunting, love the pack, but it is on the small side and does not do well once you get heavy. PM me if you would like to chat, not doing much since my wife is out of town working.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...de-in-the-mountains-one-man%92s-sheep-journey

Have fun, love the Brooks.

Steve

OP
B

bates

WKR
Thanks guys for the info

Steve I will have to read your post later tonight. I went with a 9 twist on my blank I should shoot anything from 120-180g,

I will be hunting with Jonah Stewart

I just had a .280 AI built with a 1-9 Shilen match grade barrel and love that thing. It did not take much to get a 140 gr. Partition to shoot well enough for me to get through hunting season so I just stayed with it but will play with loads some more when the weather gets a little nicer. It would be hard to beat a 140 gr. Accubond, Partition, or E-tip in that caliber. Same with 150-160 grain Noslers. I would load the one that your rifle likes the best out of those three types.

Thanks guys for the info

Steve I will have to read your post later tonight. I went with a 9 twist on my blank I should shoot anything from 120-180g,

I will be hunting with Jonah Stewart

Can't go wrong with Jonah, he's a great guy and you will have an awesome hunt. He's a hunting machine and you'll be in good hands! Best of luck!

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have some solid advise. My only comment would be to not use the Bergers for bear. If you are after keeping the sheep hide, they may not be the best option either.

Sounds like you have some solid advise. My only comment would be to not use the Bergers for bear. If you are after keeping the sheep hide, they may not be the best option either.

depending on which berger. i shoot .284 cal 168 berger match on my sheep and its the smallest bullet hole you could ever stitch.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the .30, 210gr Hunting VLDs on caribou, so can't speak for the smaller caliber. It has been pretty hit and miss as far as hide damage. Most never leave the critter, but when they do, it was catastrophic. Talking able to put my fist through the hole.

As far as not using them for bear, only due to the autopsy of the dead caribou. They were extremely erratic in performance, even on broad side shots.

The upside, I have never had a bou walk away from the first hit.

As far as not using them for bear, only due to the autopsy of the dead caribou. They were extremely erratic in performance, even on broad side shots

I agree with that, i would not like to use my match bergers on bears.

My match bullets have always done a full pass through.

325 wsm

FNG
your gear list sounds pretty good but you could definitely lighten up on the optics.
Dall sheep are generally easy to spot( if theres no snow on the ground) and you can get by with any lightweght fogproof bino.
Once sheep are located you need the quality spotter you can expect the guide to have.
There is not enough flex or cushioning effect for me in anything other than a leather boot, especially on the days with heavy loads, but use what works for you.
Shoot the heaviest bullet you can.

I agree with 325's statement above on the optics. When I sheep hunt, the only bino's I use are 8 x 25 Zeiss Compacts. I also have an 80mm Swaro, spotting scope, which does most of the optical work.

Whether or not you bring the spotter is entirely up to you. It is a considerable weight savings if you leave it at home, but I also have many clients that have insisted on bringing their spotter, as getting a good look and being able to view the sheep close up is just as much a part of the experience of the hunt for them. Of course I always let me clients look through my scope when they don't have one, but those are essentially sneak peaks, versus getting to watch the animals for long and extended periods.

Just a few thoughts...

OP
B

bates

WKR
thanks for the imput. I could easily drop 14oz by taking 8x32 vs. 12x50's and will consider that option, that is an expensive pound :)

either way at this point I think I am going to take the spotter, you summed it up best adventure907, even if the guide takes one you are just getting sneak peaks, I love to glass and want to take in as much in as possible while I am up there.

heck half of the reason I've spent so much on light gear is so I can pack a spotter on most hunts, I made the mistake this year of leaving it at home on an elk hunt and kicked myself the entire time as I just couldn't pick apart animals at distance.

Played around a little with my geargrams account, looks like as of today all gear, pack, sleeping/shelter, clothing etc. I am at 30.02 lb including tripod and spotter no food,

I can drop 1lb with a new sleeping bag, another close to .75lb going with outdoorsmans micro pan head.

is around 25lbs base weight for pack, clothing, shelter, sleeping, and misc. gear (water bladder, headlamps firstaid, personal) where I need to be?

I would definitely suggest going with the smaller and lighter bino's, especially if you are bringing the spotter with you.

I'd say at 30 lbs, sans food, you are doing pretty darn good. When I take off on a backpack hunt, if my hunter is between 40-50 lbs including food, I am happy. I would stick with the wiggy's bag. Yes, they are about a pound heavier, but the advantages of their warmth and the synthetic ability to keep you warm when wet is worth it. I experimented with a down bag this year, and quickly went back to my wiggy's bag.

And as a qualifier, a lot of your weight determination should be based on what kind of shape you are in. I obviously don't know your age and weight carrying abilities, but sheep hunters come in all sizes and shapes, and their ability to carry various weights differs greatly.

Broomd

WKR
Great advice here...take the 8X32's. If your 1X1 with your guide and he has an alpha spotter, just use his if he didn't mind you doing so.

Take a bag you can sleep well in, sleep and rest are paramount to a great week. I personally use a bombproof lightweight tent so down/moisture isn't an issue. Love my Marmot helium bag....

Be reasonably in your weight savings/budget, just my 2 cents. If this isn't a yearly or semi-yearly event, the weight savings may not be worth the outlay. Outdoorsmans tripods are nice but spendy. There are other options that will suffice.
The cost of this hunt is already likely a chunk of dough.

HUNT

FNG
Get one of these rifle covers made for your rifle. Keep your rifle dry and your scope covered. IMO its a must have on a sheep hunt or any hunt where weather is a factor. Brett will take good care of you.

http://www.rapidriflecovers.com/

Congratulations on booking your hunt! The time will fly by and you'll be on your way before you know it!

Get one of these rifle covers made for your rifle. Keep your rifle dry and your scope covered. IMO its a must have on a sheep hunt or any hunt where weather is a factor. Brett will take good care of you.

http://www.rapidriflecovers.com/

Congratulations on booking your hunt! The time will fly by and you'll be on your way before you know it!

Maybe its just me but i can't imagine using that at all. Electrical tape and scope caps are a much lighter sleeker way to protect your rifle.

Maybe its just me but i can't imagine using that at all. Electrical tape and scope caps are a much lighter sleeker way to protect your rifle.

I agree, a little electrical tape and some butler creek scope caps are all you need. That rifle blanket thingy is just useless added weight....