AK sheep hunt September clothing

KU_Geo

WKR
Looking for some feedback on my tentative clothing list for a sheep hunt sept 10-20th in the wrangell mtns. Backpack hunt. Main concern is I want to make sure I’m warm enough!

2 pairs Smartwool mid weight socks
2 pair ExOfficio give-n-go boxer briefs
1 Kuiu 145 zip off long undewear
1 wool lightweight base layer shirt (1 wool T-shirt as well that I will be wearing)
Eddie Bauer high route 1/4zip grid fleece (I will probably wear this everyday-allday unless it’s hot)
Sitka heavyweight 1/4 zip base layer
First lite Uncompaghre puffy
Sitka timberline or marmot scree Pants
UA down puffy pants
Kuiu chugach jacket and pants
Liner gloves
OR illuminator gloves
Light leather gloves
Tag cuff wool beanie
Windproof fleece beanie
Fleexce neck gaiter
Sitka baseball cap

Only thing I am concerned about is the puffy and it not being quite warm enough for this late in the year. The uncompahgre is a decent jacket but I definitely use something heavier here in CO when it gets down sub 20deg (old down jacket that has lots of patches and no DWR) Am considering adding another ultralight down layer, or dumping the uncompahgre and just getting a heavier puffy (gnar, Kifaru lost park parka, arcteryx AR?). Thoughts on the list in general of the if the puffy will be warm enough would be appreciated. Cheers

I would remove any redundant layers and get a heavier puffy. I hunted sheep in the Alaska range last year for the opener I took a Patagonia nano puff and was cold. Keep your gear as light and simple as possible and it will be much more enjoyable. Good luck. Pm if you have any other questions

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
Appreciate the feedback. After looking a little deeper, considering some down puffy jackets like the SG Grumman or Kelvin Down Lite. Anyone use both those jackets and have feedback on warmth/features?

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't used the Grumman, but have used the Kelvin Down Lite. I wasn't all that impressed. I think any of the mountaineering brands are much better for the price. I picked up a Montbell alpine light after a client I guided had one. I think it's tough to beat that for the price. If you're an absolute gear whore (I admit, I am) who needs the best, go with a Rab zero G. A friend of mine has one and I want one in the worst way.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've never worn a puffy jacket while hunting in the fall, I generally layer up and shed or add as it goes. Sitka 90% jacket, mountain shirt and a merino t-shirt under it, mountain pants and a pair of Lowa Sheep Hunter boots with merino wool socks and I'm good to go.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Its a sheep hunt. If you aren't a little cold, wet, hungry, and tired then you're not doing it right.

Just spent 8 days in the Brooks Range. Had snow and sleet, nights below freezing, wind chills below freezing a couple days. I had very similar condition the second week of September in the Wrangell's a few years ago. Actually worse now that I think back. We had snow on the ground the whole trip and 6 inches of snow one night.

My layering isn't any different than yours. Light base merino long sleeve, mid weight long sleeve, grid fleece, puffy jacket, and Chugach rain jacket. I was warm enough, but am also from Alaska and haven't spent the whole summer in 90 degree lower 48 weather.

Must haves warm item for me: warm ski gloves or mittens, warm socks that are only used for sleeping, small foam sitting pad for glassing (the ground will suck the heat right out of you).

OP
K

KU_Geo

WKR
Skane, appreciate the recommendation. Cut down thermarest zlite is always on the bottom of my bag and definitely coming along on this trip. and Having been up to AK several times in the late summer/ early fall, it’s always somewhat of a shock coming from Denver where it always seem’s to be 90 degrees everyday lately.

Early report from the outfitter is encouraging, 100% so far and some stomper 40”+ rams Harvested. 14 days until wheels up!

Last edited:

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, been fairly wet all across the state. A buddy left tonight for a sheep hunt in the Delta Control Use (eastern Alaska Range). This morning he checked in with the fish and game for the area. They have had less than half the amount of rams checked in as they had at this time last year. Sounds like they contributed it to weather making it hard on the hunters.

Russp17

WKR
I bring the following:
Two shirts, puffy, rain jacket…
Pants, puffy pants and rain pants…
Hat and gloves
2 pair of underwear and 3 pairs of socks…
Works pretty well but you may be cold…

Later in the season like October I’ll bring a fleece top
And add a base layer for the bottoms…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Hunting in Northern BC, if I'm questioning the weather or my gear choice, then I add in a flat Apex quilt. It works when stationery and also as part of a sleep system. My 40 degree quilt weighs 1 pound and it keeps all the versatility of my early season gear, plus gives me abit of safety margin if I've made a bad call for my gear. It extends my August gear well into September.