AK Sheep Hunt

Hello Rokslide Members, I am new to this site, but have been reading a lot of threads on Alaska sheep hunting. I am looking into a sheep hunt in the next few years and am looking to book with an outfitter most likely in the Alaska range. The ones I have researched the most so far and talked with either hunt in Units 20A or 16B and 19C. I realize these areas are likely heavily hunted, but was hoping to hear from members who have hunted one or more of these units and what your thoughts are on the hunting, the hunting pressure, the guides who hunts these units and just how physical these areas are. I know my request is fairly broad so please provide what ever information you feel is helpful. I have hunted Alaska a couple of times (brown bear, mountain goat and Sitka Blacktail deer), but have had the sheep bug for several years now and am looking to get something booked before I get too much older. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. I love reading the information available on this forum, especially as it relates to Alaska and sheep hunting.

Predator, I can not speak to the units mentioned. However, I believe you are on the right track to visit with as many outfitters etc. to get the best idea of the hunt and outfitter that will best suit you. The sheep bug can be extreme and I wish you luck.

Bambistew

WKR
It all depends on what your expectations are for "heavily hunted." Is seeing another party considered heavy pressure? To some it is. Is knowing that someone may be in the area, considered pressure? To some it is. Is having a foot race to rams, considered heavily hunted? Extremely unlikely to happen, and I've only heard about it in LE areas, or easy to access areas...

Of the choices you list, 19C is the best by far, IMO. The majority of the pressure is from guided NRs, and the guides have their own little slices carved out. Odds of seeing a resident over there are slim, as are seeing other guides. We're talking 3500mi2 with 120 hunters over 5 weeks... 16B doesn't have a ton of sheep or sheep habitat, and it gets a fair amount of resident pressure, but there are pockets that have nice rams. 20A is a mob scene from both residents and NR but has a decent sheep population. Good place to fill a tag, poor place to fill it with a big/old ram.

I've packed a couple rams out of both 19C and 20A. Bambistew pretty much nailed it. Money no object, and if you prefer the supercub/backpack style hunt, Id lean pick 19C. 20A has the additional option of horseback hunts.

Both units are fairly rough country on the sheep spectrum, but 19C is more remote and challenging IMO. The logistics of getting out and back can sometimes be complicated and/or expensive.

Only a couple of reputable guides hunt GMU 16, so unless you just happen to hook up with one you like I wouldn't be looking at that unit specifically.

Chubscout

FNG
This was a sigh of relief to read. I have a sheep hunt in 48 days in 19c.. Always a concern when going on a hunt like this “will you see anything” thanks guys!

If your going with a guide I wouldn’t worry about running into the other kind of hunters(you know the assholes) hunters are pretty successful going with guides warning spoiler alert..... your guide will most likely have a ram picked out long before you get there and will land you somewhere close by. The only other hunters you might see there is someone else with a plane. Most often if they see someone hunting the area, courteous hunters won’t drop in on you.