AK Sheep, Population Observations

Thunder

FNG
Simple minds, give simple responses.
You're* a keyboard warrior.
Best of luck on your future attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't sell yourself so short. I wouldn't call you simple. Dont beat yourself up over the interent. Speaking of beating best of luck to you and RHWP at the next BOG meeting. You guys need all the luck you can get.

Clarktar

WKR
Spice this up with a few more interior folks and I'm breaking out the popcorn!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
Don't sell yourself so short. I wouldn't call you simple. Dont beat yourself up over the interent. Speaking of beating best of luck to you and RHWP at the next BOG meeting. You guys need all the luck you can get.
I wish you would tone it down a little. You make some good points but they tend to be lost in all your personal attacks.

And by the way, if you are going to make fun of misspellings you might want to do a little proofreading.

Thunder

FNG
I wish you would tone it down a little. You make some good points but they tend to be lost in all your personal attacks.

And by the way, if you are going to make fun of misspellings you might want to do a little proofreading.
This is the toned down version Nancy.

Fullcry

FNG
I hate to even say it but Every time you say something intelligent you have to turn around and reck it.
If you want to be taken seriously you have to
Model adult behavior.
“It’s just the internet “isn’t a good excuse for being a jerk.
Be nice

Stid2677

WKR
This thread is really informative when the vitriol is kept in check. We are all after the same end goal, more sheep on the mountain, so why continually berate one another? Rant over.

One topic that has been mentioned but not really discussed in depth is sub-legal harvest. It accounts for a substantial take of sheep that never get the opportunity to grow to maturity. How about requiring a test for sheep hunters to pass to identify legal rams prior to going in the field (similar but hopefully more effective than the bow hunter cert class)? I understand that seasoned sheep hunters don’t need this but with the percentage of sheep hunters who are first timers and the percentage of sub-legal harvest it seems that something more needs to be done.

I’ve lived in AK since 2014 and this year was my first attempt at a sheep. As someone who has not yet killed a sheep, I will consider myself a first timer until I harvest my first ram. I would be very happy to sit through a class and be required to pass a test on legal ram identification. I’ve studied long and hard on judging legal rams and killing a sub-legal ram is still my biggest fear as a sheep hunter. Many will say when in doubt to find another ram, but the fact is that the temptation to make it legal is going to be too much for some and will lead to poor judgment.

The other issue that I believe needs to be seriously addressed addressed is the abuse of the “resident“ hunter status by folks who aren’t truly residents. I know of several instances of this getting abused by folks who own property in AK but do not actually live up here, yet they claim residency. This one may not be as simple to resolve since the people abusing this are clearly not concerned with lying but some evidence needs to be presented to prove residency in my opinion.

Just trying to throw ideas out and hope one will help. There are many issues contributing to the population trends, but this is one I believe could have a positive impact.
If you are near Fairbanks, I've a few heads you could look at and I could point out of few things. If you know of folks breaking the rules,,,, call the Troopers.

Steve

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I'll throw out a "new" question to think about.........For whom is this a problem....????
It seems crystal clear this is "Not" an issue for everyone.

However it is and issue for some. Ask yourself "WHY".

Look and see the distinction.

Yes......I know many will not like the answer. But it is of value to be aware of truth.

Last edited:

Thunder

FNG
I hate to even say it but Every time you say something intelligent you have to turn around and reck it.
If you want to be taken seriously you have to
Model adult behavior.
“It’s just the internet “isn’t a good excuse for being a jerk.
Be nice
Gosh I was hoping to be taken seriously on a hunting forum. After all this is where the issues get addressed and fixed. The hunting forum platform is at the forefront of conservation and getting regulations changed. I'm sitting here self reflecting how you fullcry (fitting name) could help me be taken seriously on a platform such as this. I apologize to you and anyone else I offended. If you send me a PM I'll write you each an individual apology in a fancy font of your choosing. If there is no preference I'm thinking edwardian script. That's some fancy stuff.

I'm apologize for derailing the thread. Now lets get back to how RHWP limiting a few new non res in 19c is going to fix our sheep problem.

Respectfully,

Fullcry

FNG
Lol
See you did it again.
Half of your post was very thought full and respective.
I guess we all learn at a different pace.
Respectfully

Sourdough

WKR
After all this is where the issues get addressed and fixed. The hunting forum platform is at the forefront of conservation and getting regulations changed.
So......"Before Internet forums" there was nothing, no conservation, no game management, no habitat protection and enhancement.

I would say the single biggest negative impact on Alaska animals that are hunted, has overwhelmingly been the internet, and especially internet hunting forums.

Last edited:

Thunder

FNG
So......"Before Internet forums" there was nothing, no conservation, no game management, no habitat protection and enhancement.

I would say the single biggest negative impact on Alaska animals that are hunted, has overwhelmingly been the internet, and especially internet hunting forums.
Sarcasm

Sourdough

WKR
Think of it as clarification of your flawed post. This forum does "NOT" change regulations. What this and other internet forums offer is is glorification, and access to others doing the work of hunting. If the internet went dark, the number of hunters would drop drastically. The harvest would drop drastically.

Thunder

FNG
Think of it as clarification of your flawed post. This forum does "NOT" change regulations. What this and other internet forums offer is is glorification, and access to others doing the work of hunting. If the internet went dark, the number of hunters would drop drastically. The harvest would drop drastically.
Damn you have it all figured out. Nothing gets by you!

You should start the revolution! Go dark! For conservation!

Sourdough

WKR
You should start the revolution! Go dark! For conservation!

Think about it.......where do hunters do their "scouting" as to where the trophy animal they desire is most probable.

Where do they go for advise on clothing, firearms, binoculars, spotting scope, bullet suggestions, ranger finder advise, hunting method for desired trophy, how to cape and process, what size game bags and how many, who to contact to take them to the animal so they can shoot it, how should photos be posed so trophy looks huge, and they look manly, what hotel, ground transportation, where to eat near the airport, what color camo pattern, what boots, what socks, what sleeping bag, what gloves, etc. Then they get to brag "It was a Do it Myself" hunt, "Self guided".

Fullcry

FNG
Dang sourdough I’m gonna kinda disagree with you.
While your points are correct on guys using the internet, if the internet were to “Go Dark”.
The old days are over.Word is out.
And even though guys make lots of good points
In this thread.
You guys don’t get it…. You can make all these tweaks to the rules to try to protect your “turf”
That you want.
But do you realize how many young people are moving to ALASKA simply to hunt?
With Sheep hunts pushing $25,000
Moose hunts $25,000
Goat and Caribou $10,000 plus
Even the DIY guys can hardly get a air taxi unless they wait several years out.
The young people are simply priced out! And
That’s just to go 1 time.
In the next 5-10 years your not even going to recognize the system we have now.
There will simply be too many people.
Can you blame them for moving up here?

Sourdough

WKR
Can you blame them for moving up here?
I don't fault anyone for moving to Alaska. The internet and especially forums, have glorified the "END RESULT" part of hunting, while simplifying or totally eliminating the essence of hunting.

In a society that has for more then a hundred years been devoid of a "public" Right of Passage" into Manhood, the internet has blossomed.

Thunder

FNG
I don't fault anyone for moving to Alaska. The internet and especially forums, have glorified the "END RESULT" part of hunting, while simplifying or totally eliminating the essence of hunting.

In a society that has for more then a hundred years been devoid of a "public" Right of Passage" into Manhood, the internet has blossomed.
It’s all making sense now. You ruin every forum you go to. I thought it was just because you’re a lonely old fool but it’s for the good of Alaska and the wildlife. Well played agl4now well played!

✊ ✊ ✊

Sourdough

WKR
It’s all making sense now. You ruin every forum you go to. I thought it was just because you’re a lonely old fool but it’s for the good of Alaska and the wildlife. Well played agl4now well played!

✊ ✊ ✊
Maybe you could do some basic research on the "History" of Forums, the history goes back thousands of years. Just because someone voices an opinion you dislike, does not validate your assertion they have ruined the forum.

Thunder

FNG
Maybe you could do some basic research on the "History" of Forums, the history goes back thousands of years. Just because someone voices an opinion you dislike, does not validate your assertion they have ruined the forum.
Now there you go again spouting off about nothing. Who’s to say I disagree with your opinion?

Go read another book about hunting in Alaska so you can tell us another story oh great one!