AK Sheep, Population Observations

Htm84

WKR
Friends saw Dall Sheep on the Richardson Highway by Black Rapids. I sure don't like to hear that.
Curios why? I’m guessing down low this early or just this low in general makes them more susceptible to predators?

I dont know much about sheep other then i normally see them up high. I would guess they are coming down because they cant get food up in the mountains? only predators they have this time of year would be wolves.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Curios why? I’m guessing down low this early or just this low in general makes them more susceptible to predators?
This "might" be a partial reason. Minerals, salt, calcium chloride, etc... We have Mt. Goats on the Hope Road (sometimes) in years past a fair amount of them were hit and killed by the DOT snowplows, clearing the highway.

Here they come down and cross the Hope Road to the shore of Turnagain Arm, where they lick the rocks for the minerals. There are Dall Sheep on the Seward Hwy. south of Anchorage, especially in the spring. I've even seen dead ones on the Hwy. and shoulder, most likely hit by vehicles.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
We are just winding down from the worst storm on record here with huge amounts of snow....3'.....with a strong rain on top that has froze. Our moose and caribou as well as sheep are coming out on the roads for easy walking. Obviously there is no food on the road. I suspect winter kill will be very extreme.

We are just winding down from the worst storm on record here with huge amounts of snow....3'.....with a strong rain on top that has froze. Our moose and caribou as well as sheep are coming out on the roads for easy walking. Obviously there is no food on the road. I suspect winter kill will be very extreme.

Getting rough down here in the valley as well. Roof's blowing off left and right.

Any guesses on mountain ranges to avoid this year?

Probably should avoid all of them this year. :) JK.

It will be interesting to hear what the ADF&G puts out in their meeting on the 13th. I suspect they will be speaking to this year’s winter weather and probable winter kill.

Skimmed this thread and didn't see it, but apologies if I missed it -- Here's the JOMH podcast with Tom Lohuis, Paul Forward, and Roman Dial discussing their research on climate change and sheep. https://journalofmountainhunting.co...-with-paul-forward-roman-dial-and-tom-lohuis/

AK chapter of BHA also hosted these guys on a zoom seminar last month. I suspect Tom will be discussing some of the same things in the upcoming ADFG meeting https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=215812407406010&set=a.158420316478553

VernAK

WKR
I'm finally getting a few reports on the extent of the rain/ice storm in DCUA and 20A [wood river] country.

Here in the valley at Delta we have 2' of snow covered with 2" of very strong ice with another foot of snow on top of that. The moose and bison in the valley are in trouble already.

TMA does not seem to be affected by the rain/ice but the North side of DCUA is and it seems to extend across the North face of the Alaska Range in 20A. Black Rapids and South does not seem to have the rain/ice but snow is very deep.

There was some rain in the very eastern Wrangells also.

It's a long time until spring and it's anyone's guess what wildlife mortality will be.

How are things looking in either the Brooks range or the Wrangells? I am hoping to book in one of those 2 areas in the next couple of weeks. Anything can happen from now until 23-24 for sure just trying to get an idea. The NWT is also a strong possibility, I just think of Alaska when I think Dall Sheep. Should I concentrate on the NWT more? Thanks

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Central Brooks is setting the pace to have a record type of snow year. Good news is the rain that hit the central interior didn't happen in that area that I know of. The population has been hammered by weather lately so hopefully they can get a break this spring and not have any rain then 30 below

VernAK

WKR
Expecting a Chinook this weekend with winds 50-70 mph through Isabel Pass. Temperatures to be warmer. Will it help the situation or just cause enough thaw to create more crust? It should be interesting either way.

Central Brooks is setting the pace to have a record type of snow year. Good news is the rain that hit the central interior didn't happen in that area that I know of. The population has been hammered by weather lately so hopefully they can get a break this spring and not have any rain then 30 below
Freezing rain and a thick ice crust is bad.
Deep snow is bad.
And over 2 months of winter left....
In the river valleys snow pillow sensors:
30 inches at Robertson River, 20-34 inches at Tok stations, 32 inches at Delta, 37 inches at Eagle
Up in the Tanana Uplands currently as high as 40 inches at Chena Dome,
90 inches at Jack Wade Junction.
https://www.weather.gov/aprfc/Snow_Depth

Freezing rain and a thick ice crust is bad.
Deep snow is bad.
And over 2 months of winter left....
In the river valleys snow pillow sensors:
30 inches at Robertson River, 20-34 inches at Tok stations, 32 inches at Delta, 37 inches at Eagle
Up in the Tanana Uplands currently as high as 40 inches at Chena Dome,
90 inches at Jack Wade Junction.
https://www.weather.gov/aprfc/Snow_Depth

I think that 90 inches at Jack Wade is almost certainly instrument error. But yes, not looking good. The uplands adjacent to the Steese have an ice layer covering all of the alpine vegetation, with very little open ground. The caribou do not seem to be attempting to cross the lowland areas with 35-40” of snow.

I have heard that the ridges around Black Rapids may to be fairly clear of snow/ice? Not all hope is lost. That area had another rain event recently though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
South of Donnelly Dome the snow was knocked down by a warm Chinook blowing through. WE are hoping the bison can struggle that far and find the pea vine along the river.

Yes, it does look a bit more promising for sheep survival in the Black Rapids area if the grasses haven't froze down.

I think that 90 inches at Jack Wade is almost certainly instrument error. But yes, not looking good. The uplands adjacent to the Steese have an ice layer covering all of the alpine vegetation, with very little open ground. The caribou do not seem to be attempting to cross the lowland areas with 35-40” of snow.

I have heard that the ridges around Black Rapids may to be fairly clear of snow/ice? Not all hope is lost. That area had another rain event recently though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I think your correct about a sensor malfunction at 90 inches, but other areas are deeper than 3 feet,
45 inches at Denali Park for example which is measured.

2 different snowmachine hunter groups got bogged down in the deep snow off the Steese and had to be air-rescued last week according to an article in the local newspaper.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's been a couple of months since the last post, any updates? has AK F&G started any survey work yet?

Thanks!

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
In certain Alaska units, sheep are in trouble (19C is one example). So we need to look at the human component (human harvests) and deal with that, because we are not able to do predator control for non-human sheep predation (i.e. golden eagles, which are the main non-human predator). We also can't control avalanches and deep snows and winter rains etc that can lead to sheep mortalities).

Over the past two decades in 19C, nonresident sheep hunters (guided) have consistently taken 80% of the harvest. One guide who guided there for 20 years put in a proposal last year to cease all hunting for two years for everyone because of his concerns for the sheep population. He has since moved on to other areas in the state to guide sheep hunts.

This isn't rocket science. We need to limit the nonresident sheep hunters in areas like 19C to draw only with a limited allocation. We need to do the same elsewhere as well because if we don't the sheep will further decline and Alaskan residents are going to lose general sheep hunting opportunities.
Just looked up the website in your tagline- I'm not a resident but I love the message.