Ak sheep v. Goat

For the guys who have done it...how does sheep compare to goat hunting?

After a number of goat hunts on kodiak in 471 474 476, I feel decent chasing after goats. Will do the 474 again this fall and also 720 with a buddy.

My question is: what separates the goat hunts from the sheep hunts. I drew dcua early sheep this year and I want to get some idea from guys who have done both.

My initial thoughts are more cardio/core/legs than I do now...in pretty good shape but I also live in the Fairbanks area which ain't exactly high up...so go out to castner over the summer and hike. Weight will be of prime concern where it isnt so much in my goat hunts in the past. More suck to embrace overall.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

The only difference I've noted after hunting sheep several years and goats (Kodiak many times and DG720 several times) is that goat hunts are typically much shorter. Have fun, 203 is a great permit to have in your pocket, most of the tag holders throw in the towel after the first few days.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ll second what Nick said. I usually do at least one goat hunt on Kodiak a year (hunted 474 four times), and hunted the DCUA twice, 10 years ago and 203 in 2018. For the most part I would rate the difficulty as being pretty equal, but tend to spend more time in the field on sheep hunts, mainly because it usually takes me longer to get back into areas where the sheep live, and then also trying to find that legal ram. I don’t think that I need to be in any better shape for one type of hunt vs. the other, I just need more time off for the sheep hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goat hunting is finally getting the respect that it deserves. It is by far the most dangerous hunting in Alaska . Mostly due to terrain and to some extent , the weather. Goats generally inhabit more treacherous terrain and generally coastal areas that are exposed to more rain, ice and wind. They can survive in places that sheep can't.
Goats equal more weight to pack out, sometimes substantially more!! Goats are harder to kill.
Over many years of flying hunters out to remote areas, guiding both sheep and goat hunters and hunting
both, I have seen a lot more injuries and deaths due to hunting goats than hunting sheep.
I have to add that I have never hunted goats on Kodiak in the dinky mountains they have there, so it
might be a different story !!

Of course having said all that, I will probably fall and bust my ass hunting sheep this fall!!

Bob

Last edited:
I was trying to be slightly humorous and speaking relatively , but have you ever hunted SE Alaska for goats??

Nice billy by the way Nick

I've hunted SE for deer, in goat country and it's a PITA. I've also hunted the Chugach for goats and the alder hell you must go through to get to them. Glad you were joking, cause Kodiak has some pretty gnarly shit to traverse in most cases when were talking goats.

I killed my biggest billy on the foothills to St. Elias ( 18,000ft+) My buddies billy was a little higher up the drainage. We had to leave it overnight and next morning it was frozen solid!!
In SE AK the devils club is usually the first gauntlet you have to pass on your way up the yellow brick
road, after the alders!!!

Last edited:

NUGGET

WKR
I just can't get excited about chasing mt goats. Is it bad to think of them as a species to chase when there's nothing else to chase?

And as far as table fare, one of my least favorite.

The Lake George ( Chugach) area has some extremely rugged terrain and you can observe the separation of the goats and sheep there!! That is the difference that I am talking about.

I've had wonderful times hunting goats, seems to be a lot less pressure, they are magnificent animals too. With regards to the meat, I've had awesome tasting goats and terrible tasting goats. They ones that taste awesome are very good for pretty much anything you can make with them. I really enjoy a good goat hunt, just something about them and where they live that keeps bringing me back for more.

Russp17

WKR
The Lake George ( Chugach) area has some extremely rugged terrain and you can observe the separation of the goats and sheep there!! That is the difference that I am talking about.

My first goat hunt was in that area! Very steep! and lots of alders... It did kick my butt.

Yes, you are so right on the pressure !! The frigging Feds have locked up such a high percentage of sheep areas that it forces us into very small sections of habitat!!
The folks that came up with the idea for the Wrangell -St. Elias Park should have been hung!!

Last edited:
OP
akhunter87
Nick,

I met you the other day and it took me a while to figure out how I remembered your name. I dont have enough posts to PM but I would love to pick your brain sometime since you live in the area.

OP
akhunter87
I get that some folks like goats and others dont. I'm absolutely hooked on goat hunting. I've just never hunted sheep and I want to do everything I can to make this a good experience, plus or minus putting down a ram. I want to feel the same way about sheep hunting that I do about goats and I dont know cause I haven't done it yet. B Rob thanks for the replies it gives me some things to think about.