AK Spring Black Bear Matsu Valley

I know the kenai peninsula and SEAK are very popular places to black bear hunt here in Alaska. This will be my first year here and would like to know if it's even worth looking at hunting the Matsu area on a spot and stalk hunt spring 2022. I have been doing some digital scouting this winter but was hoping some seasoned locals could steer me in the right direction.

z987k

WKR
Negative.
Well there's plenty of bears in the Talkeetna mountains and crap tons in 16a+b. The matsu has so much private land, I'm not sure how you'd pull off a spot and stalk. At the same time, I doubt many people would be opposed to the neighborhood trash bear going away.

OP
K
Well there's plenty of bears in the Talkeetna mountains and crap tons in 16a+b. The matsu has so much private land, I'm not sure how you'd pull off a spot and stalk. At the same time, I doubt many people would be opposed to the neighborhood trash bear going away.
Thanks for the tip. Any specific areas or trailheads you would recommend in those unit areas? I was looking around Hatcher's pass a lot less private land around there.

z987k

WKR
Thanks for the tip. Any specific areas or trailheads you would recommend in those unit areas? I was looking around Hatcher's pass a lot less private land around there.
Tip over a trash can and wait there with your bow? lol.

Otherwise, just pick a trail into 14b. Bring a wheeler, you're bound to find one eventually.

Or run out on the roads in 16a. Again you'll eventually run past one.

OP
K
Tip over a trash can and wait there with your bow? lol.

Otherwise, just pick a trail into 14b. Bring a wheeler, you're bound to find one eventually.

Or run out on the roads in 16a. Again you'll eventually run past one.
Fair enough. Wondering if that would work for registering a bait station? :unsure:

That's good enough for me was mainly trying to find out if I would end up wasting my time staying around 14b.

Thanks for the info!

z987k

WKR
Fair enough. Wondering if that would work for registering a bait station? :unsure:

That's good enough for me was mainly trying to find out if I would end up wasting my time staying around 14b.

Thanks for the info!
Ya, that's illegal.

Plenty of bears north and south of the glenn. A good few are brown though.

16B though. If you can get over there. You could pull a black bear out every day over bait.