AK vs AR

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Why keep yourself limited to one semi auto shtf rifle?

I keep one AK just to have for a reliable knock down close range rifle. It shoots cheap steel case ammo that hits hard & is a short range weapon that has a folding stock.

My AR's range from 5.56 & 308's. I like them for their weight and power.

If I had to have just one, it'd be an AR. Lighter ammo/rifle, & easier to mount an optic on. Plus it's easier to master.

Chances are if it's truly a shtf situation, I think the 5.56 should do fine. No body really wants to get shot, even a flesh wound would make a lot of people run away. Most if not all people fear death or fear leaving their family to fend for themselves which is why most would do drastic things to cause to be shot. Kinda a catch 22 for them.

I'd be more interested in stocking food/water rather than bullets since most people will just starve after the first few months after a collapse. If anything i'd be more worried about being shot while walking around my yard trying to set up a garden or collecting water. Nobody will look for a gunfight, they'll look for an easy kill to take what you have. There is less risk to them if they kill you while waiting outside your house in the bushes.

Also a roll of barb/razor wire is a good investment for future protection. If you can't board your windows, hammer a bunch of nails around it and string the wires across all over it. Create tripping hazards with spikes in the dirt for any night prowlers. Could even close off hallways with it and have a choke point for intruders to get shot at, just cut holes in your drywall and create your own passages concealed by furniture to evade any intruders.

*zap*

WKR
If things go south I am set up with a 5.56 AR-15 & Aimpoint comp m2 and a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm with Glock 33 round mags & open sights for something better than a pistol to carry under an outer layer/out of sight. AR variations can also be taken down/re-assembled fast for out of sight carry in a pack/bag. The Kel-Tec when folded up and carried with a single point sling can be easily hidden under a waist length coat and be ready to operate in less than 30 seconds, it is accurate at closer ranges and eats +P+ very well.

howl

WKR
AKs are junk. It's just a cheap design.Been there, done that. Pass, thanks. AR is an antique design, but much better.

Better fighting guns have been designed since. They all cost more than a S&W or Ruger AR. This does not sound like a piece you want to put much money into. So, I vote AR. They'll run steel case of whichever cartridge you like just fine.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
You get both with 6.5 Grendel. Steel case is 25 cents per round.

This would be a great option, I've been thinking about building a 12" pistol or 16" rifle in 6.5 Grendel. Stock up on steel cased ammo for emergencies & use other ammo for hunting.

I build a 6.5 Grendel a few months ago. It’s in an AR platform, 16” barrel and has a can on it. That thing is more dope than marijuana.

cmahoney

WKR
If your shooting technique includes shouldering the weapon, using you optic and applying the fundamentals of marksmanship, the AR is for you.

If you’d prefer to shoot from the hip or hold the weapon over you head and scream as you shoot, the AK is probably your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
AKs are great fighting guns and can be very capable and extremely durable probably even beat a water buffalo to death. so far my ARs have been 100% (all 5.56 guns) despite running them dry and dirty.

I've made hits with AKs out to 460 and in between. with ARs with optics I've made hits to 650+ honestly ARs can be tailored to your needs very easy from a red dot sight to 3-15x optic. There is far more 5.56 surplus and 223 commercial ammo available as well as cheap brand new G.I aluminum mags to pmags etc. A guy can also throw a 22 conversion kit in a AR and shoot small game etc.
Buy quality, buy a couple buy or build a AR pistol, 10.5-12.5" upper.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Anvil69

WKR
Thanks to the USMC I have lots of time with the AR , and like stated more parts/ammo in the states. That said I have a couple of each! Love them all!

SCHEZSHEK

FNG
Milwaukee Tactical Biking Club (MTBC) I belong to finds both w Merits

White Slacks, White Shoes, White Belt Analogy

Swag or GTFO.....

IMG_0764.jpgIMG_0790.jpg

SHTF= predator gatling gun!
SHTF - those with the best hide and seek skills win. Really doesn't have anything to do with firearms aside from obtaining food. I could probably live for years with the right shelter and my RWS .22 cal air rifle with a pile of tins of ammo and nobody would ever hear a thing.

Honestly in an ammo shortage, my RWS .22 air rifle looks better all the time.