AK vs AR

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’m always curious what people’s definitions of shtf are? Are you worried about people going crazy and trying to rob or harm you? The government taking over (as if you and a couple battle rifles are going to be able to do anything about it)? A foreign power taking control and you fighting it until the end? All of the above maybe?

I can def see it for personal defense from people trying to harm you or steal your supplies or rape your women and children or whatever. That makes total sense to me.

But this whole AR is going to save me from the government or a foreign take over. I don’t buy into for one second. Not with everybody’s phones being tracked. Satellites tracking massive get togethers of bodies, etc. They are already tracking people’s movements and quantities of get togethers with the covid deal we are in now. That would only escalate to insane degrees of the government one day switched on a take over version of themselves. You and a few buddies and even their buddies all put together wouldn’t stand a chance. How do you communicate to gather? How do you avoid being tracked? This isn’t the movies. If the government really wanted to “take over” there is nothing any of us could do to stop it.

For home defense on the ready is my pump action short barrel 12 gauge along with 5,500 lumens of blinding light. Above that on the wall is my AK. In the nightstand is the 10mm Glock ready to rock. Im a little extra prepared as we live on a dead end road on 200 acres so
If someone is out there it’s not for anything good. As far as shtf... Good luck y’all.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I lost a few converted saigas to tweakers

They were not replaced.

Yeah when my state introduced the assault weapons ban and made us all register older and any unregistered weapons a couple years ago I sold all of my rigs. Good thing I don’t own a single semi auto rifle anymore. Who needs those anyway. Only soldiers need those. I love my government and my state. Hail Newsom!

Last edited:

JohnnyB

WKR
It depends on your definition of shtf. In a scenario where I can’t get toilet paper, go to the gym and have to stay at home for a month with my wife, my shtf choice is bourbon, Valium and Joe Exotic.

The AK will run using mud as lubricant. What’s that worth?
AR is a tad more ergonomic and easier to manipulate. What’s that worth?

I like to train with the AK because it will make you a more proficient shooter. That all said, half the dudes who pick one over the other don’t have their respective firearm setup properly in the first place (not functional, can’t cowitness, not enough training, etc).
Pick the one you can shoot and manipulate most proficiently. That’s your weapon. I’d rather be next to a guy who was a ninja with a broomstick than next to schlub with minigun who can’t do 10 pull-ups.

16Bore

WKR
Hmmm.....one weapon for doomsday and plinking?

CV19 is taking its toll for damn sure......

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
The one that allows you to carry the most of the most readily available ammo.

I figure that would be an AR platform.

USMC-40

WKR
Carried an M4 variant professionally - I respect the platform immensely. I also have been on the receiving end of AK (both 47 and 74), and lived/worked with/trained folks carrying them. To say the AK uses more lubricant is not true. Neither weapons need a ton of lube (although the amount varies by humidity level), the Iraqi's would clean their 47's by running a wire hanger through the front sight and dip the entire weapon into a 55 gallon drum of diesel fuel. Thats the MOST they would clean them...ever. Not saying they are a group to emulate, but it goes to show how resilient that platform is/can be. We would also find on occasion AK's partially buried by the Helmand River in AFG, bring them back where we were living, kick start the charging handle, and proceed to do mag dumps until the handguards would catch on fire (a couple times). These weapons were rusted thoroughly. And probably had never seen a drop of oil in their lives.

I hate when people say 'AR's arent reliable' - that is completely false. I have 10's of 1.000's of rounds through M4/M4A1/Mk-12 and all the cool short upper receiver variants, both suppressed and unsuppressed and I have had 3 total malfunctions. Im convinced that 2 of them were magazine related. The 3rd I dont recall (my first malfunction was while doing a pre-deployment certification exercise at 29 Palms in 2004). We didnt baby our rifles, and we performed 'moderate' maintenance while deployed.

If you choose to buy an 'AR' get one that is build IAW the TDP. The TDP is the standard by which the military contract outlines the construction of the rifle (Colt, FN, maybe a few others, but this info is probably dated). Those guns will flat work.

If you choose to buy an AK inspect the rivets (especially the front trunnion area) for looseness, and gaps. Also ensure the barrel/sights are straight. If possible, get one with a chrome lined barrel. Stay away from the US made ones.

My opinion/experience.

It's a pretty pointless comparison anymore. You can have a 556 ak and ammo isnt an issue. A quality ar is incredibly reliable just like an ak. The only 2 advantages the ar platform has is how common it is in the us and parts are easy and cheap to come by, and that anything that needs done to it can be done at home with hand tools by yourself. Cant do that with an ak.

I’m always curious what people’s definitions of shtf are? Are you worried about people going crazy and trying to rob or harm you? The government taking over (as if you and a couple battle rifles are going to be able to do anything about it)? A foreign power taking control and you fighting it until the end? All of the above maybe?

I can def see it for personal defense from people trying to harm you or steal your supplies or rape your women and children or whatever. That makes total sense to me.

But this whole AR is going to save me from the government or a foreign take over. I don’t buy into for one second. Not with everybody’s phones being tracked. Satellites tracking massive get togethers of bodies, etc. They are already tracking people’s movements and quantities of get togethers with the covid deal we are in now. That would only escalate to insane degrees of the government one day switched on a take over version of themselves. You and a few buddies and even their buddies all put together wouldn’t stand a chance. How do you communicate to gather? How do you avoid being tracked? This isn’t the movies. If the government really wanted to “take over” there is nothing any of us could do to stop it.

For home defense on the ready is my pump action short barrel 12 gauge along with 5,500 lumens of blinding light. Above that on the wall is my AK. In the nightstand is the 10mm Glock ready to rock. Im a little extra prepared as we live on a dead end road on 200 acres so
If someone is out there it’s not for anything good. As far as shtf... Good luck y’all.

preaching the intensity of government surveillance and then quote yourself as having SBS. A class 2 felony. Oh the irony is too much.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
preaching the intensity of government surveillance and then quote yourself as having SBS. A class 2 felony. Oh the irony is too much.

My SBS is a perfectly legal firearm even here in CA. It meets all the requirements for my state. What irony? You seem to be quoting me a lot the last couple days. PM me and you can have my number. ❤️

i’ve Had nothing going on for 5 1/2 years now.

Available anytime between 9am and 10pm. If I’m not available the chest is either in the dirt poppin primers or on a board surfing.

425 478 8420

You 805 area code?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
i’ve Had nothing going on for 5 1/2 years now.

Available anytime between 9am and 10pm. If I’m not available the chest is either in the dirt poppin primers or on a board surfing.

425 478 8420

You 805 area code?

You surf up North? I thought me and my buddies were crazy growing up surfing in the freezing ass Santa Cruz, CA waters! 925 area code is how I get calls. Don’t have much cell service at my property but I have WiFi calling.

Wapiti1

WKR
Back on topic, neither platform would be my choice as a bug out gun. If I had to choose, a Polish Radom made AK. They are decently made and finished. I've seen some extremely neglected AK's that worked just fine. I don't think an AR could take that kind of neglect and still function.

That said, I like the HK91 and FAL better than either. Both very durable and dirt tolerant designs.

Jeremy