Ak47 question… got me thinking.

Wvroach

WKR
I'd stay away from any century "built" ones vska, c39v2 etc .. also stay away from I.O or JRA.

In the sub 1000$ range I'd look in to getting a wasr 10, or one of the PSA gf3, or zastava is decent as well and you should be able to get hands on one. I'd say mak90 but sadly the AK market has went nuts and I don't think you could touch one. Same goes for arsenal or saiga at this point I don't see getting hands on one fore under a grand.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I'd stay away from any century "built" ones vska, c39v2 etc .. also stay away from I.O or JRA.

In the sub 1000$ range I'd look in to getting a wasr 10, or one of the PSA gf3, or zastava is decent as well and you should be able to get hands on one. I'd say mak90 but sadly the AK market has went nuts and I don't think you could touch one. Same goes for arsenal or saiga at this point I don't see getting hands on one fore under a grand.

Isn’t the wasr10 a century built import?
Not trying to be a smart ass just googled it and it’s from century

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wvroach

WKR
Isn’t the wasr10 a century built import?
Not trying to be a smart ass just googled it and it’s from century

They were assembled by century using Romanian parts and enough us parts to be 922r compliant. They still managed to screw up a good many with canted sites and improper headspacing, century also had a bout of putting in 5.56 barrels on polish tantals and claiming they were 5.45...

The century builds I was referring to are the American made ones, the vska, ras47 and c39v2 the other imports don't have the issues their builds do.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR

Peak-47 GF3-R Romanian kit build “desert pick up” is this one any good?
Also what does Desert pick up mean?

Wvroach

WKR
Peak-47 GF3-R Romanian kit build “desert pick up” is this one any good?
Also what does Desert pick up mean?

The PSA seems to be decent on their aks, I've only handled a friend's so I can't vouch on it to much. I am really hesitant buying US made aks but palmetto state seems to be doing it right, forged bolt and carrier, Romanian trunnion should be good to go. When I see another 5.45 come up I'll probably snag it. Like some others have said get on mac's YouTube channel and also check out rob ski on ak-47 operators union.

The desert pickup is just the finish on it.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
The PSA seems to be decent on their aks, I've only handled a friend's so I can't vouch on it to much. I am really hesitant buying US made aks but palmetto state seems to be doing it right, forged bolt and carrier, Romanian trunnion should be good to go. When I see another 5.45 come up I'll probably snag it. Like some others have said get on mac's YouTube channel and also check out rob ski on ak-47 operators union.

The desert pickup is just the finish on it.

Ahhh ok
I’m just curious, what’s the difference between a good and bad AK?

I’ll go watch the YouTube channel, but im curious on how a gun can be so much worse that’s the same price?

Wvroach

WKR
Ahhh ok

I’ll go watch the YouTube channel, but im curious on how a gun can be so much worse that’s the same price?

Price isn't always the factor that determines quality, I'll use a Norinco mak 90 for example, they used to go for 4-600 bucks 3 years ago and most people bashed them because they were "neutered" and "chinese junk" but I can personally attest to abusing the hell out of one and seeing well over 10k rounds out of it with very minimal cleaning just a oil wipe down once in awhile, on that same token one of the crown jewels of the AK world is a polytech legend also Chinese made that go for upwards of 3k.

The market is determined by supply and demand because their are fewer of one type and more of another if the demand is higher so is the price. If the supply is low and demand is high you get a higher price tag on that product. It does not mean the other less expensive one is any less functional of a rifle.

A lot of AK guys will bash American made aks with just cause. We had I.O, JRA, Century arms put out awful examples of American built aks for years and try to sell them as cream of the crop and have people shill for them.

One person in particular who I respected his tactical training and opinion up until that point was vouching for a ras-47 and vska that he supposedly had 10000+ rounds through his classes out of multiple rifles and when MAC showed up to torture test with century there as well, they couldn't get over 1000 rounds without losing headspacing or bulging of the trunnions it was quiet pathetic and he continued to shill for them afterwards.

I think palmetto is the first one to really give it a go and attempt to do it right.

Ahhh ok

Well, simply put: a good AK will do all the “AK stuff” you’d expect: take a severe beating and keep working, last forever, and take any mag you feed it.

The not-so-good AKs don’t do that. They usually have bad riveting, and will fail a headspace test after a while due to internal parts being poorly made and getting beat up. They’re typically over-gassed too, to provide the illusion that they’re super-reliable. In reality, over-gassing it just beats up the internals more.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Price isn't always the factor that determines quality, I'll use a Norinco mak 90 for example, they used to go for 4-600 bucks 3 years ago and most people bashed them because they were "neutered" and "chinese junk" but I can personally attest to abusing the hell out of one and seeing well over 10k rounds out of it with very minimal cleaning just a oil wipe down once in awhile, on that same token one of the crown jewels of the AK world is a polytech legend also Chinese made that go for upwards of 3k.

The market is determined by supply and demand because their are fewer of one type and more of another if the demand is higher so is the price. If the supply is low and demand is high you get a higher price tag on that product. It does not mean the other less expensive one is any less functional of a rifle.

A lot of AK guys will bash American made aks with just cause. We had I.O, JRA, Century arms put out awful examples of American built aks for years and try to sell them as cream of the crop and have people shill for them.

One person in particular who I respected his tactical training and opinion up until that point was vouching for a ras-47 and vska that he supposedly had 10000+ rounds through his classes out of multiple rifles and when MAC showed up to torture test with century there as well, they couldn't get over 1000 rounds without losing headspacing or bulging of the trunnions it was quiet pathetic and he continued to shill for them afterwards.

I think palmetto is the first one to really give it a go and attempt to do it right.

That makes sense for most products so I do understand that. You’d just think that the American made barrels and receivers would stand up well but apparently not.
I like to be able to see something I’m buying in person, especially something at 1k+ in value. Palmetto is about 20min from me so it’s hard to not just pick one up from there. But I want something nice, that won’t be a problem after 1k rounds.

Wvroach

WKR
That makes sense for most products so I do understand that. You’d just think that the American made barrels and receivers would stand up well but apparently not.
I like to be able to see something I’m buying in person, especially something at 1k+ in value. Palmetto is about 20min from me so it’s hard to not just pick one up from there. But I want something nice, that won’t be a problem after 1k rounds.

If you are willing to go over 1k and want a once and done AK I'd strongly look at going arsenal.

Psa on a side note will run sales throughout the year and they will honor online prices in store so if you wait on a sale you should be able to find a gf3 for 650$ or so.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
If you are willing to go over 1k and want a once and done AK I'd strongly look at going arsenal.

Psa on a side note will run sales throughout the year and they will honor online prices in store so if you wait on a sale you should be able to find a gf3 for 650$ or so.

I don’t plan on getting multiple AKs just one.. so maybe I will look into the Arsenal.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
If you’re that close to PSA, I’d say go check them out for sure. They’re the only ones that make a really nice all-American AK.

I’d still get a pre built kit with there barrel, etc to make it compliant

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Atlantic has a gf3 for 699 right now