AKEK Field Review

I felt posting my field review in my AKEK initial impressions thread was a bit misleading. So I have decided to post and keep my field review (on going) of the AKEK pack here, and hopefully the other lucky recipients will add their experiences here so we have it all in one place, whether there is a consensus or not. Obviously a consensus about different features, load handling ability, and durability are important to many here as a consensus will say lots about the AKEK pack. But, not having a consensus is also very important.

This first post is a cut and past from my other thread. I will however be adding as I will continue to use the pack and test other features.

I loaded the pack up for a day hike tomorrow. The side pockets will hold an 82mm spotter with the objective lens facing down; I could not get it zipper with the objective lens facing up. My tripod fit no problem. However I was correct, if your pack is full, it will take volume from the side pockets. So the spotter and tripod were the first things to go in after my water bladder. I would like to see the side pockets as wing pockets like my Kifaru Fulcrum so side pocket volume is not lost. I would also like to see those side pockets with more volume. The water bottle pockets are also affected. It would be nice to be able to fit a Nalgene bottle on each side easily.

The straps all have a sewn in loop on the ends and the Velcro keepers slip through them, they help to not lose the Velcro keepers. However, when you pull the straps and roll up the length, the Velcro is barely long enough. It would be nice to have a bit more length there (this does not apply to a full pack where you have less strap hanging out to roll up).

I loaded the pack up; slipped the pack off the frame. Then I shoveled some dirt into trash bags (3) and slid them into a dry sack, and proceeded to load it on the pack. The load shelf works well, but I would like to see the top straps easily removable, and easy to reassemble, as this would make it easier to load the load shelf. But it works the way it is designed, so this is really a preference of mine. I did put the pack on loaded and carried it to my car (I don't need to drive my gas sucking truck to the spot I am heading). The pack currently weighs just over 70 pounds. I will likely add a few pounds in the morning. I do need to take a few minutes and adjust my dirt load a bit better than it currently is; but that can wait until the morning.

I will report back on how the pack carries the load, but maybe not tomorrow.

From the field;
Pack weight with scoped rifle is about 80 pounds. I went up a very steep uphill, traversed across a slope the uphill again. The pack is handling the 80 pound load exceptionally comfortably. I am very happily surprised at just how comfortable it is. However, I do not have much for gear in the pack since this is just a day trip.

I am doing a little trail work while I am here, so the down hill handling will come after a bit.

The pack packed the 80 pounds great. The rifle holder, I need to play with more to figure out if I like it or not. I found myself having to remove my rifle when I wanted to sit down on the ground. The bucket is farther back that where I have my gun bearer on my other packs, so it is very different and may take some getting used to.

My overall impression is that some may have preferences, like me, but overall, the pack works well. I am of course going to continue to use the hell out of it, as it is about perfect for day trips, yet I could make it work for 2 to 3 day trips, but room would be tight.