AKEK Pack - Arguably The Best New Pack Around - What's Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKR

WKR
AKEK claimed to have “the best new hunting pack around.” Then solicited questions.

They said their pack system was designed stateside then shipped it across the pond for production.

The exact frame with suspension and very similar bags have been found on Alibaba. The exact frame is pictured in both places. Another company with the exact same frame and similar bags was dug up and found to be a scam.

AKEK hasn’t answered the questions about how all that came to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You forgot to mention the massive price difference

BDRam16

WKR
@AKEK here is where you messed up. You are absolutely correct, this COULD be a niche item. But you didn’t list it as such. So here is a business plan for you to save your company, because as of right now you will go under fast.

Sell this pack for $250-300 and call it what it is. An entry level pack with above entry level features. There really isn’t anything else in that price point. MAYBE an Alps Commander X, but that weighs close to 9lbs and would still be $100 more.

If you posted a carbon frame pack with a detachable bag and meat shelf on Amazon for $250 you would sell out in a few days.

fatlander

WKR
You forgot to mention the massive price difference

They can charge whatever they want. But they shouldn’t expect to pawn off a knock off Kuiu as their proprietary design without some kickback.

And they should also understand they will be met with extreme skepticism when the same frame and extremely similar bags have been used in documented scams.

BDRam16

WKR
This entire debacle could have been avoided if they didn’t try to pull the “best new pack” nonsense and list it higher than Mystery Ranch prices.

Should have been “hey guys, we have the best ENTRY LEVEL PACK FEATURES available”

There is nothing on the market like this currently under $400.

But hell, like someone else mentioned I’d throw in the $60 with a group buy to get some frames ordered up from alibaba. It would certainly be good enough for my rucks.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
This had the same cringy feel of when that canis be the wolf clothing was pitched here.

Best of luck anyways. If you figured out how to make that weapon system attachable to other packs you'd have a really cool product.

fatlander

WKR

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK guys that clears it up. Will wait for him to respond on those additional questions, but I worked with these guys for a couple of weeks before they came on and I have not seen anything on here they didn’t line up with what they told me, i.e. they designed it, and it was made in China.

We discussed the made in America preference on this site, and they were fully confident to come on. So let’s give him a chance to respondd fully.

Sometimes the threads get so long it’s hard to know what you’re responding to. Thanks for the clarifications.

TheTone

WKR

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
Look at post 177 and 193.

One screen shot is AKEK’s website showing their frame. The other screen shot is alibaba. It’s the exact same frame and suspension.

Search “carbon fiber hunting backpack” on alibaba. It’s the 4th result.

@AKEK still hasn’t cleared up why the exact frame they claimed to have designed and is displayed on their website can be had on alibaba for $38.50

Okay now I see it. Not that I was ever interested in this pack but I’m even less interested now. Too shady for me.

OK guys that clears it up. Will wait for him to respond on those additional questions, but I worked with these guys for a couple of weeks before they came on and I have not seen anything on here they didn’t line up with what they told me, i.e. they designed it, and it was made in China.

We discussed the made in America preference on this site, and they were fully confident to come on. So let’s give him a chance to respondd fully.

Sometimes the threads get so long it’s hard to know what you’re responding to. Thanks for the clarifications.
the biggest issue i think for most is the principal of taking a sub 40 dollar pack system from china, marketing it as possibly the best new pack, and pricing them at top shelf american made prices to people who actually use their gear.

some really good comments above of constructive criticism of marketing it for what it is, and pricing it as what it is... sell it for 275 bucks and it would be well received, and still lots of profit margin, rather than trying to dupe their customer base by pricing it so high people think it must be high quality.

"tested for a year in our plant" how can you test a pack in a plant for a year and expect to know how it will perform in the field? i know at least a couple (i would assume all) of the American pack companies test their gear through true hard use in the field for a couple or more years before they ever release it, there are several names on this forum who are part of that process. to price so close to them seems like a slap in the face... i know it's not on purpose, but their practices have that feel already.

i think it comes down to that concept that has went off the rails in the past few years "stay in your lane"

when i saw the alibaba screen shots i was a little taken back, but didn't think it was the exact same pack... then it came to light it was (good work WKR detectives, haha) and i was genuinely taken back.... market and sell the pack for what it is, everyone is happy.... compete in pricing with USA made packs with actual and extensive R&D and there is going to be some blow back, and rightfully so..... it's not a witch hunt, but i think the criticism they have got is warranted, nothing out of line.

i don't think they should be kicked off RS or anything, i think they are just another company trying to capitalize on the times we live in, and i hope they do well, but they over pitched their product to the wrong audience in this case imo

always appreciate your way of handling things here, being a very adult leader.... your patience is impressive on this site, and always fair and reasonable.

Ok…. So you purchased the pack frame from Alibaba for $61.00 and that’s the high-end I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Can you please provide a link on Alibaba so we can check out the bag specs and then maybe if you explain how much it cost to have your logo sewn on that would clear stuff up.

fatlander

WKR
If you thought the wool they were trying to pull over your eyes with the pack was bad, check out the $27.00 flash light.

b28278b5905c6018c5e3ce34d07b5dae.jpg

a8028d52cacd91357adc25c987fdae66.jpg

d3475f596cde9797d48aff0bea9a6986.jpg

Last edited:

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Wonder if they will give you guys multiple entries for each post you have made....

But my initial thought before doing much research was for a start up company releasing their first pack they came in too hot and asked for too much money. My first thought was this thing is the same price as proven top of the line bags already on the market. People with may more experience than myself have already chimed in but to have a non US made bag the same price or more than some bags that are made here is a bad move.

In theory the reasoning for offshore production is to save costs therefor either they are trying to pass on their initial tooling cost to their customers or they are greedy and making it for cheaper and asking the same price. My guess is they see people buy bag X for this price so why not charge the same price and possibly snag some of that cash.

Sherman

WKR
One of their challenges is to find a pack that has two meat shelves, when in reality their “second” shelf is simply the smaller pack attached to the main pack, which is what the grab-it from Kifaru accomplishes and other similar brands provide their own version of.

Pezboat

WKR
One of their challenges is to find a pack that has two meat shelves, when in reality their “second” shelf is simply the smaller pack attached to the main pack, which is what the grab-it from Kifaru accomplishes and other similar brands provide their own version of.
Don’t forget the Sherman!

Status
Not open for further replies.