AKEK Pack - Arguably The Best New Pack Around - What's Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider
We do vet within reason

We explain the crowd, give them posting guidelines, then let the vetting process continue once they come on. Sponsoring is part of the vetting process. That's where you come in and if this thread turns out to be accurate, I'd say it works.

As I explained earlier, these companies that do come on are taking the risk. Many companies inquire and then go away when I explain all this. @AKEK did not, So let’s give them the benefit of the doubt until they have time to respond.

*Update, I just talked to Brandon, they’re actually up at the expo manning the booth, but he will get back to it. They are considering everything reasonable that has been posted. Make sure you give him a little wiggle room for some misunderstandings between the frame design and the bag design. As I said earlier, he was very upfront about where the product was made.

In the meantime, try imagining this: whether this product was priced right or not (the market will dictate that in time,) what if it turned out to hold up well, and meet the demands of many of the members? Hmmmmmm
I think the real issue is that this company clearly took stock photos and photoshopped them and claimed they were their own designs and products. I mean, look at that flashlight. The picture is clearly photoshopped.

I have no issues with companies finding a product manufacturer and rebranding/reselling but be honest about it.

I’d like to hear from the specifically what was the design process, how did you source the products, how did you find a manufacturer?

Perhaps they found a manufacturer that was making this pack and they modified it to be their own and used the same manufacturer to “update” the product, fine. But explain that.

Saying it’s manufactured over seas with your own designs is much different then repackaging and existing product. And it’s clear here, at least their marketing by using photoshopped images is shady at best.

In the meantime, try imagining this: whether this product was priced right or not (the market will dictate that in time,) what if it turned out to hold up well, and meet the demands of many of the members? Hmmmmmm
I was legit interested, but a few things seemed off, but having lived the start up life, I get it.

I'm still, partially, interested in the pack, but not from them, and not for 500+, but that's market based.

I'll even defend them, as their critic. One address is the registered agent, typically lawyer off etc. Hence numerous businesses to one address.

Using a Regus office, for professional purposes, I get. Having off site storage, smart.

Had they said we have a new pack, with some/ few/a design change we are utilizing with hopes of bringing to market, and eventually on shoring it, for $200-$250, what do yall think? I'd have spent money.

But digging into them, seeing the disingenuous statements, among other things, now it's a no

But they get their trial by fire.

Best I can advise them:
Market segmentation
Product differentiation

Good luck.

I don't care, they lost me at made in China. There are such great options in the hunting backpack market made in the US making this not an option. Stop supporting these "made in China but you're supporting US family" companies unless you really want the US to look and operate just like Mexico.
As a 3rd-generation USA manufacturer and multiple-business owner, we understand the "why" in outsourcing manufacturing; greed and chasing the bottom line. As a father and soon to be grandfather, I'll never understand it.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't care, they lost me at made in China. There are such great options in the hunting backpack market made in the US making this not an option. Stop supporting these "made in China but you're supporting US family" companies unless you really want the US to look and operate just like Mexico.
As a 3rd-generation USA manufacturer and multiple-business owner, we understand the "why" in outsourcing manufacturing; greed and chasing the bottom line. As a father and soon to be grandfather, I'll never understand it.
fair, and that was the first question I asked them when they inquired.

OP
AKEK

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Rokslide community,

First, we would like to genuinely and sincerely apologize. We thought from the beginning everything was clear and understood about our products being made overseas. We now see this was not clear!

Please Let us clear up a few things so we have no more misunderstanding.

Yes the frame is made in China and true AKEK did NOT design the carbon frame. AKEK however did design the unique bag that goes on the frame.

We stand behind our pack and know that those who test it, will also confirm the high quality of the pack.

We appreciate the Rokslide community and its members. This forum has certainly been an eye opener and a learning experience for us.

Sincerely
AKEK

Rokslide community,

First, we would like to genuinely and sincerely apologize. We thought from the beginning everything was clear and understood about our products being made overseas. We now see this was not clear!

Yes the frame is made in China and true AKEK did NOT design the carbon frame. AKEK however did design the unique bag that goes on the frame.

We stand behind our pack and know that those who test it, will also confirm the high quality of the pack.

We appreciate the Rokslide community and its members. This forum has certainly been an eye opener and a learning experience for us.

Sincerely
AKEK

Now that the laundries all aired out. I'd think a good move would be to pick a few guys from the site that are active in shed hunting, mushroom hunting, turkey hunting, ect... and get a few packs sent out with commitments for reviews.
Shed season is upon us with morels and turkeys soon to follow. Those are activities suited to such a pack, and suited to taking an unknown pack rather than your tried a true.

There are lots of folks that would be interested in such a pack for maybe a touch lower price point. Sharpen your pencil and get some good reviews out there and I'm sure they will sell. If you can offer Roksliders $115 discount, then just drop the retail price down to $450 or so and compete in the gap between the low end packs and the high end stuff. Not everybody has $600+ to drop on a hunting pack.

I

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide community,

Sincerely
AKEK
...just send one to down under - I can do a severe test (free of charge 😀) how it copes with extreme heat, bull dust, aging under high UV radiation, corrosion resistance wrt fine dust with high iron percentage (some people would be surprised how their beautiful stainless steel gadget will look after exposed to such dust), high loads (I always tend to overload my backpacks).

wrt price point: I experienced once that a strap failed on a relative cheap backpack while I was days away from civilization - to get all my stuff (and myself) back home was a PITA at the end. lesson learned: for extreme tours don't try to save a few $$ when your life may depend on the equipment ...horses for courses...

wrt made in China: I'm surprised how many have problems with this while on the other hand their have no problems with buying a nose button from a convicted poacher who's sic published shit shows only help organizations on their quest to ban bow hunting. (BTW: for all the Matthews owner: guess where Matthews is sourcing their bearings from?).

zacattack

WKR
Rokslide community,

Sincerely
AKEK
It might help if you could explain the features that make your bag different from the one on Ali baba.

fatlander

WKR
It might help if you could explain the features that make your bag different from the one on Ali baba.

Bro, don’t you know it’s got a 700 cubic inch beaver tail pocket on the front? That’s where the 530 dollar difference is at. And to top it off, there’s a cool Buffalo. Needle point ain’t cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneek-ee

WKR
Rokslide community,

Sincerely
AKEK
Just answer the question and quit avoiding it. We get your stuff is from China, you've said it a thousand times. No misunderstanding. Its clear.

Be clear with your audience.
Is your frame the Alibaba frame or not. Yes or no? Don't avoid what people are asking and be transparent, just answer the questions directly and quit avoiding it. We get its from China. We know you didn't design anything, own that. Say what it is.

Is it from Alibaba with no difference or is it actually unique somehow?
Who's this akek supporting in the US besides your own little garage business? Since its "supporting so many US jobs".
What makes this pack worth 600 dollars?
The load lifters are non functional. The packbelt is non adjustable. How is it it the best pack out there? Cause the price sets how good it is? Cause the logo? What does it do better than a Seek, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, etc? What makes it stand out from reputable, proven US brands? Specifics, since youve claimed it. Explain it, we want that as consumers. Better is always good. So tell us. You claim its the best. State why and what, pretty simple requests people have been asking and all have been avoided. No more being vague. Answer the questions that have been asked and people will leave it alone and take the facts and make a decision.
All we have right now is, you're in eagle mountain, Utah Shipping Alibaba packs from China, charging 600 dollars and won't answer specifics.
Yes, we know its all made in China, that's clear. No misunderstanding. Did you just bulk buy frames and bags and have them add your logo. Or is there really something special we are missing on these that you can explain.
Same goes for your flashlight. Thats been completely avoided. Its got your logo on it and its less than a buck on Alibaba. Is it really something special and different or is it the same light minus the logo?

Transparency and honesty goes a long ways. Especially in running and starting a business. Something called integrity. We are all hunters and use and abuse our gear. We don't need to be mislead or scammed or screwed. We all work hard for the things we have and expect our gear to live up to abuse and our expectations. Don't try and avoid peoples questions or concerns and divert it. There's no misunderstanding and we're not confused. We just want honesty.

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
... What does it do better than a Seek, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, etc? What makes it stand out from reputable, proven US brands? ....
well proven US brands?....Stone Glacier e.g. is owned by VIsta, and they manufacture "worldwide" including Asia...

bmicek

WKR
At this point, it’s best to get some packs in the hands of people to test. Who knows, we may all be surprised by the unbiased reviews. But you’re already willing to send some out for free so that alone shows your confidence in your product. It’s up for us to decide the real quality.

I suspect the testing will come back saying it’s not on par with the high end packs we have come to love but if priced was adjusted it would be a good option for those on a budget. But I’d love if it came back with a glowing review. I’d like to see you guys be successful but as you are aware, you’re already not on the winning side of Rokslide members. It’s best to just let your pack talk with some of the members here. After all, it seems your future is in the hands of these group members.

fatlander

WKR
well proven US brands?....Stone Glacier e.g. is owned by VIsta, and they manufacture "worldwide" including Asia...

That’s not even close to the same and you know it.

SG has always been, and is still made in the US.

If you want a pack that bad, you can get it on Alibaba for 35 bucks.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK so they’ve apologized, they’ve acknowledged within reason everybody’s criticism. Remember this thread is pages long now (and these guys are trying to work their booth at the expo so they’re not camped on here like some members) and they’re not reading every single comment (nor am I).

So if they decide they want to keep their sponsorship and move forward, I’m gonna go in and clean this thread up and get it back on track, so there’s no sense in turning it into a bickering match beyond what’s already been posted.

I think everyone’s point has been well-made. I don’t see any new information being posted.

So if your comments start to disappear, that’s why

And remember before any of this went sideways they were the ones on here offering up free packs for review with no conditions. Let’s give them a chance to put their money where their mouth is.

You’ve integrated some thoughtful design ideas. Would love to put it through the paces!

WKR

WKR
OK so they’ve apologized, they’ve acknowledged within reason everybody’s criticism. Remember this thread is pages long now (and these guys are trying to work their booth at the expo so they’re not camped on here like some members) and they’re not reading every single comment (nor am I).

So if they decide they want to keep their sponsorship and move forward, I’m gonna go in and clean this thread up and get it back on track, so there’s no sense in turning it into a bickering match beyond what’s already been posted.

I think everyone’s point has been well-made. I don’t see any new information being posted.

So if your comments start to disappear, that’s why

And remember before any of this went sideways they were the ones on here offering up free packs for review with no conditions. Let’s give them a chance to put their money where their mouth is.

Clean this thread up?
Why not leave it the way it is and let people draw their own conclusions?

Status
Not open for further replies.