Alaknak tent user Question

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Im about to purchase the Alaska Alaknak 12x12 tent. Question is this: do you guys that run these tents with a wood stove use the roof protector?. I was looking at it and its tiny, would it actually be worth it? I was thinking that setting up with stove pipe to the down wind side and using a chimney spark arrestor would be fine.

I have the 12X12. I agree the roof protector is pretty small, but I always used it as wind swirls all the time. That said, I have zero holes in the protector or in the tent and I've probably got 75-100 days of stove use on it.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a protector for my Alaknak and use it sometimes, sometimes don't. My stovepipe has a cap with a screen in it on top. No spark holes (unlike my tipis that end up with more, but still no big deal to seal them).

Northpark

WKR
I just use a spark arrester on the stove. I have a 12x20 and after 3 years and a lot of use no holes.

KineKilla

WKR
I have used the 12x12 for 12 years and hard. I have the protector and never take it off. No holes in it or the tent at all and I do not use a spark cap.
Same. Mine never comes off. I also use the floor protector.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

JCooper

FNG
I have an older 9.5x9.5 with no roof protector. No holes that I know of. Always use the spark arrestor.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Same here....I have the 12X12 and roof protector. I don't use a spark arrestor either and have ended up with a few small hole in the roof protector but not the tent. I also have the floor protector and I think it helps reduce wear and tear to the floor especially with cots. We have been using it for about 10 years first with little kids and now with teenagers.....nice tent set up with vestibule.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking of just using a 12x12 tarp to thrown down UNDER the tent to protect floor from possible punctures. Are you guys putting liners Inside the tent for floor protection? I can see how a cot leg could be hard on the floor now that its mentioned

LaHunter

WKR
Just beware with a tarp under the tent. If you get a significant rain and water gets between the tarp and the tent floor, you can end up with water seeping through the floor fabric.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I recently purchased the 12x12 and used it for the first time on a hunt in Eastern NV, on day 2 of it up, it was fairly windy (nothing crazy) and came back to the center pole blown straight through the top of the tent, has anyone else heard of this happening? Based on all the reviews here I assumed this tent was rock solid in the wind, now considering returning it for a canvas tent that I was really hoping to stay away from (for weight purposes). Tent was amazing for 4 guys before that!!

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I recently purchased the 12x12 and used it for the first time on a hunt in Eastern NV, on day 2 of it up, it was fairly windy (nothing crazy) and came back to the center pole blown straight through the top of the tent, has anyone else heard of this happening? Based on all the reviews here I assumed this tent was rock solid in the wind, now considering returning it for a canvas tent that I was really hoping to stay away from (for weight purposes). Tent was amazing for 4 guys before that!!
I had a similar issue, and I'm wondering if the newer ones aren't built as well as the older ones. My Dad and I bought new 10x10's this summer when they were on sale. For archery season in Colorado we setup these 2 new ones, and 2 other guys setup their 10+ year old 12x12 models. We got maybe 2" of snow one day and both the new models collapsed. Both had the center pole go through the top of the tent (the peak seams on both tents ripped apart), and the seams on one side of mine also tore. Neither of the 10+ year old 12x12 models had any issues what so ever. There was a walmart 4 man tent setup there too and it had no issues. The quality of these might be going down hill, which is a shame. I really liked these tents, but I don't think I'll go back to them now.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, that's the same exact thing that happened to me. Seams in the top "cone" just shredded. With all the changes - hacking of the cabelas branded gear being done by bass pro, I was hoping to find the tents to be one of the last safe products to buy, but, guess not. Sounds like I am going to just ask for a full refund instead of a replacement. Bummer.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
This is what it looked like if anyone is wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_5101.jpg
    IMG_5101.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 50

cullenz

Lil-Rokslider
That is exactly what both mine and my Dad's did. I noticed the peak reinforcement on our new ones was different than those older models that were setup, but I didn't dig into it too much. I sent mine back for a refund.

Attachments

• Tent.jpg
    Tent.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 35

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, that looks identical. Guess it’s canvas. Also considering the Montana 100% relite so my wife can move the tent without a forklift

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Well damn, thats not good. I just bought one not too long ago and used it once. Worked great for Moose hunting here in Alaska and we got some wind and snow and it held up great. Reading this though makes me want to re-inforce the pole pocket with extra fabric or something.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, yea that was my thought too if cabelas only let me exchange vs a refund (they gave me a refund). In looking at how it busted through, adding some canvas and stitching it real heavy would have solved all problems. Lady at the return desk said she's had 2 more come in with the same problem in the last 1.5 years, just FYI, I'm sure they have sold many more than that!

Wow, terrible! Guessing it was someones cost cutting project as my 12x12 is 14-15 years old. It has been through several snow and severe wind storms with no issues. It is due for a seam sealing....