alarm clock

whats everyone useing ? my watch isnt loud enough, cell phone wont last long, i had a cheapy alarm clock from the drug store that eventually went kaput. i hunt solo & am very hard of hearing (i wear hearing aids when im awake & no i cant wear them to bed). so what say u ? speak up !

7mag.

WKR
I have a windup digital alarm clock/radio that I sometimes use, or an old fashioned windup travel alarm clock...it's really loud.

OP
B
sounds like maybe ur not too concerned about space in your pack ? i do pretty well for space with my ku3700,two long pockets, medium pod & grabit. maybe i shouldnt be that picky about space either. i was just hopeing someone could give me a brand name or a place to buy something small & loud. already tried the big box stores.

JG358

WKR
I use my phone... its pretty close to being the loudest most anoying thing I've ever heard in the woods.

Beastmode

WKR
My Garmin Oregon 550 has an alarm clock. Kills two birds without packing extra weight. I hate packing things that are only used for one thing. I can see using a phone if it's a place that has service.

I use my phone as well. If you put it on airplane mode so that the radio/phone receiver is turned off you will get much better battery life. My old blackberry phone had a feature where you could actually set an alarm, turn off the phone, and it will wake itself up and sound the alarm at the designated time; I wish my android had that feature. Also, if you don't have an iPhone then you can always go out and buy a second (or third if it is a long trip) battery, charge it at home, and then take it to swap out the dead battery with.

7mag.

WKR
I have a windup digital alarm clock/radio that I sometimes use, or an old fashioned windup travel alarm clock...it's really loud.

It's small and light. Smaller than my GPS. I got it at Sportsman's Wharehouse. It's packed right now, so I'm not sure of the brand.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My Garmin Oregon 550 has an alarm clock. Kills two birds without packing extra weight. I hate packing things that are only used for one thing. I can see using a phone if it's a place that has service.

Same here

I use my phone as well. A full charge with Airplane mode can get me 5 days of use pretty easy. Nice to be able to wake up to some Chris Ledoux or something a bit more motivating and angry lol

Mike

I have a little fold-up timex digital alarm clock. Works pretty good and is about the size of a very small wallet.

OP
B
i think im gonna try the flight mode on my cell phone. i was just reading about it & even though i have a cheapy phone, i should be able to use the alarm & still save juice. plus i have an extra battery. i have the garmin etrex, i dont think it has an alarm, but wouldnt hurt to check it out. if all else fails, ill keep timex in mind. thanx again for all the info.

sk1

WKR
my garmin gps works awesome for an alarm, set it before bed shut it off, and it starts up for the time you set

also this is my first year having an iphone.....on airplane mode so it isnt searching for service it lasted over 8 days and was awesome to have for an alarm

I've used my phone a few times, but when I'm hunting out of a tent I rarely use a watch. Eat when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired, and try and get up when the sky gets grey. Half the fun of hunting for me is unshackling myself from schedules and being as much of a natural predator as possible. Doesn't always work, and sometimes I sleep in, but not that often.

If that doesn't work for you, the other guys ideas are all spot on.

Yk

Yk

OP
B
YK, Ive been huntin like that, but i didnt get my deer last year. Ive only been hunting backpack style since 2009, but Ive been pretty successful until last year. for now, Im stuck down here huntin in the southern sierra of california in one of the worst zones to hunt. So, if Im to be successful, I figure I should do whatever I can to give me an edge, like being ready to drop the hammer @ first light.