Alaska 2021 elk tag question.

I won a drawing for an elk hunt this year and I was unsuccessful. I understand I can not apply for the same two week period in 2021 but am I allowed to apply for the other elk drawing in the same location?

Thanks

Htm84

WKR
I’m pretty sure you can’t apply for the same specific tag again. So if you had DE711 you can’t apply for that tag but you can apply for DE713. At least that’s the way I understand it.

Attachments

• E48FFBB3-C391-4CD5-81AC-F41AB0E87344.jpeg
    E48FFBB3-C391-4CD5-81AC-F41AB0E87344.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 34
What Htm84 said. You cannot apply for the same hunt number, but you could apply apply for a different elk hunt.

OP
NevadaMike
Thanks. I read that over and over. I just wanted to make sure I was reading it the right way.

m_willis

FNG
@NevadaMike what made the hunt unsuccessful, of you don't mind my asking? I am putting in with a hunting partner and hoping to draw, just chasing down what info I can if one of us is fortunate enough to draw...

OP
NevadaMike
Lack of elk. We did not see any elk and very limited sign. We covered 20 miles on foot and many many more by boat going into different locations. We went there ready to hike and work and we did. We also ran into a few other hunters with the same result. They came in by plane. We actually took them back on our boat when we timed out. Lots of wolves now and some think that is the cause. I spoke to the local biologist before and after the hunt and he said the numbers are way down and they do not know why. I am happy to share all that I know but admittedly that is not much or I might have elk in the freezer.

m_willis

FNG
Sorry about that luck, but that's good info to be aware of. I appreciate it. Thinking you'll put in again for a different draw? No luck on deer either, I suppose...

OP
NevadaMike
We had a good time so we will try again but only two deer with 3 sets of eyes looking. I have a cabin in Coffman just across and I spoke to a few local friends and 4 legged critters were few and far between. We did not see the wolves but we heard them howling outside the tent and huge footprints everywhere. We have talked about a wolf trip when the Elk are calving. In July we had boots on the ground so we had an idea of what to expect. Having a cabin 30 minutes away and a boat makes it fairly low cost for us. If you are in it for adventure and work with elk as a bonus I say go for it. Its an expensive trip otherwise. I really only ate the $600 nonresident tag.