Alaska 2022

Good Afternoon,
New to this forum! I will eventually read a lot more discussions to gain more knowledge but figured id get the ball rolling by asking first. Been wanting to go on an Alaska hunt for a while. My best friend just got engaged and wants to do a bachelor party/hunt for Caribou, Black Bear, and or possibly Moose.
3-5 hunters. All very experienced and have taken numerous game. We're well equipped and in condition to go on a difficult hunt!
Our budget each per person is probably around $10k.
We are willing to do an unguided trip but need recommendations on pilots!
Guided hunts are pricey although ideally, that's a better option.
Location doesn't matter. We want to be successful and in the best hands all around.

I've seen and read many different outfitters/pilots but want to know yalls' experiences!?
Do any of those have booths at the Dallas Safari Club? I'll be there this coming January.
Thanks in advance!!

Do a drop hunt for caribou with ram aviation or golden eagle outfitters in September for around 5k each plus airfare, lodging for a few nights, food, and meat/trophy transport. Would come in under 10k each and be a hell of a trip. You’ll be in the northern brooks range. More than enough lake trout, grayling, and other fish in the lakes and streams to catch while you’re up there. Golden eagle will land you on a lake in a float plane.

Otherwise try to hunt the 40 mile herd. But getting in on that hunt for next year is about near impossible. 40 mile air is always highly recommended but you’ll have to call and get the info for booking. I think it opens up for next year at the end of this year but it’s first come first serve so you better start calling as soon as it opens up. And most likely you will have to hunt in august. Book now for either hunt! They are all filling up fast. And I’d suggest hunting Alsace bow while you have the chance. At the rate they are going, it won’t be long before certain units and herds will be off limits.

My wife and I will be in the brooks range next mid September chasing hard horned and white caped bou. We can’t wait!!

I believe you have to have a guide for moose if you’re a non res.

Not familiar with black bear bc never had any desire to hunt one up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, I can’t stress enough. If you want to do this next year, BOOK NOW! We had 3 available dates in September when we booked our trip 2 months ago. There are only a few reputable outfitters and they fill up fast!

OP
R
Do a drop hunt for caribou with ram aviation or golden eagle outfitters in September for around 5k each plus airfare, lodging for a few nights, food, and meat/trophy transport. Would come in under 10k each and be a hell of a trip. You’ll be in the northern brooks range. More than enough lake trout, grayling, and other fish in the lakes and streams to catch while you’re up there. Golden eagle will land you on a lake in a float plane.

Otherwise try to hunt the 40 mile herd. But getting in on that hunt for next year is about near impossible. 40 mile air is always highly recommended but you’ll have to call and get the info for booking. I think it opens up for next year at the end of this year but it’s first come first serve so you better start calling as soon as it opens up. And most likely you will have to hunt in august. Book now for either hunt! They are all filling up fast. And I’d suggest hunting Alsace bow while you have the chance. At the rate they are going, it won’t be long before certain units and herds will be off limits.

My wife and I will be in the brooks range next mid September chasing hard horned and white caped bou. We can’t wait!!

I believe you have to have a guide for moose if you’re a non res.

Not familiar with black bear bc never had any desire to hunt one up there.

I have emailed multiple air pilot companies and awaiting responses. I’ve read many good things so far about Golden Eagle! Fishing will definitely be a plus as I’d like to cook our catch although might not be spendin much time doing so. We’re flexible with dates for the whole month of August and mid September. After reading department of fish and game, non residents do NOT need a guide for moose. Only applies for grizzly, dall sheep, and or mountain goat.
Best of luck to you & the wife!
We‘ve been blessed with more rain this offseason down in South Texas and the season is approaching fast. Getting excited!!
Thanks

hobbes

WKR
Sheep and Grizzly require a guide, not Moose, as far as I know anyway. I can't help with any other planning. I'm trying to research it myself to plan for caribou or moose within the next 5.

OP
R
I have been talking with guide and outfitter Steve Perrins at Rainy Pass Lodge. Lots of great information. Great packages he’s offering my group!
Haven’t found much information nor pictures online about them although I know they’re highly referral and have a few friends of friends that have heard great things.
Anyone have experience with this outfit? Or pictures they can share
Thanks

VernAK

WKR
Golden Eagle out of Kotzebue is very reputable and recommended. For hunters new to Alaska, GE would be hard to beat IMO. I'd suggest caribou with fishing on the side.

Continue through this site as there's a lot of information available.......

For booking 2022, you don't have much time to waste as the demand for fly-in hunts far exceeds the supply.

I have emailed multiple air pilot companies and awaiting responses. I’ve read many good things so far about Golden Eagle! Fishing will definitely be a plus as I’d like to cook our catch although might not be spendin much time doing so. We’re flexible with dates for the whole month of August and mid September. After reading department of fish and game, non residents do NOT need a guide for moose. Only applies for grizzly, dall sheep, and or mountain goat.
Best of luck to you & the wife!
We‘ve been blessed with more rain this offseason down in South Texas and the season is approaching fast. Getting excited!!
Thanks

Thanks for double checking the moose regs. I didn’t know that. However, they closed a unit this year up in the brooks for moose to sustenance hunters only. I think it’s safe to say it will hold true next year as well. Something to consider.

I have been talking with guide and outfitter Steve Perrins at Rainy Pass Lodge. Lots of great information. Great packages he’s offering my group!
Haven’t found much information nor pictures online about them although I know they’re highly referral and have a few friends of friends that have heard great things.
Anyone have experience with this outfit? Or pictures they can share
Thanks
I looked into this guy and see that they are offering guided packages. Doesn't mention anything about drop camp hunts. Can you PM me any info you might have?