Alaska Airlines Carry On Question

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in Alaska and haven’t been back in years but I am flying back up there finally to see the old homestead and a week of chasing reds, silvers, and pinks, but I have a question regarding fishing poles/carry on/personal item. If I strap my spinning rod and my fly rod cases to my pack for a carry on and unbuckle them once on the plane, would I be able to shove my pack into the carry on space and have enough room left to put my fishing poles up there? I’m sure they won’t let me put them under the seat in front of me for a personal item. The cases measure 30” long. Or should I just cram them into my checked bag and put all of my clothing into an actual carry on and take my small day pack for a personal item? I don’t want a circus trying to get on the plane and be told I can’t bring certain items or extra fees when I’m forced to check something. I was hoping someone with experience flying with fishing poles could educate me. Thanks all.

Attachments

• CF59CD50-F1CA-4446-956E-661ACD86E4A8.jpeg
    CF59CD50-F1CA-4446-956E-661ACD86E4A8.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 25
I would bet they'll let you carry them on as "Sports Equipment."

My last flight, guys were bringing uncased rods about 4.5' and sticking them in the overhead bins.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
No problem at all with fishing poles. They see thousands a week this time of year. There will be no questions asked. Find a spot in the overhead for your carry on and away you go. Don’t even fret over it at all.

ya, you and 30 other people on the plane will have the same thing going. No problem.

I’ve taken 2 pc 9 foot rods in a case on a trip to yakutat once. Flight attendants were cool, they offered to put it in their closet. Also carried on some 5-6 foot baleen one time so they offered to put it in their closet.

OP
Elk botherer

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies everyone. What if I went onto the plane with the two fishing poles attached to my small blue pack in addition to my regular carry on and then when I got to my seat…5C2746A2-F67B-4C17-9725-C3D4A37DE157.jpeg

…then splitting it up like this with the black carry on up top, the blue bag under the seat for a personal item, and the fishing rods in the extra space of the overhead? Or do the fishing poles count as my carry on?0BA77B29-DF91-4927-B0B0-CB8BCA2C623C.jpeg

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the replies everyone. What if I went onto the plane with the two fishing poles attached to my small blue pack in addition to my regular carry on and then when I got to my seat…View attachment 429633

…then splitting it up like this with the black carry on up top, the blue bag under the seat for a personal item, and the fishing rods in the extra space of the overhead? Or do the fishing poles count as my carry on?View attachment 429641
You should be just fine with your plan.

I've done the same plan as yours many times with Alaska Airlines...no problems. I typically duct-tape my rod cases together when packing just to keep track of them easily. I'll be doing that in a month with three rod cases for a 10-day float in Western Alaska!

An advanced welcome home to your roots sir!

OP
Elk botherer

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
You should be just fine with your plan.

I've done the same plan as yours many times with Alaska Airlines...no problems. I typically duct-tape my rod cases together when packing just to keep track of them easily. I'll be doing that in a month with three rod cases for a 10-day float in Western Alaska!

An advanced welcome home to your roots sir!

Thanks for the peace of mind! I’ve read and reread the Alaska airlines carry on policies a few times but I wasn’t quite sure if my set up was acceptable but thanks for the clarification! Good luck on your trip as well, sounds like a good one! Bristol Bay? Probably a little more peaceful than some combat fishing on the Kenai and Little Su but I’m jacked to get back up there after all these years. Happy trails all.