Alaska Airlines

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of things about Alaska Airlines. I have had the opportunity to fly with Alaska Air twice now and have been very happy with their communication, customer service and professionalism. I got the AA credit card a few years ago and use that all the time and have found the points and upgrades to be quite helpful.

One thing I learned on my trip back last week while I was trying to negotiate more points for a minor issue was that there’s a limitation or maximum payout per traveler for lost baggage. I’m sure that is normally the case with most airlines but with Alaska Air that amount is “only” $3800. I had no issues with my luggage arriving as per plan but it was a stark reminder of how many $ worth of stuff (rifle, pack, etc.) I was traveling with and what a monster CF it would be if anything were ever lost. I will definitely be requesting additional insurance on my future trips. I’ve attached the Consumer Notice flyer they provided me at customer service. Good hunting and safe travels.

Attachments

• 56F0A587-AE0E-4480-85A9-EFA5CE5B30A4.jpeg
    56F0A587-AE0E-4480-85A9-EFA5CE5B30A4.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 58
I have had stellar experiences with AKAir for the last 15-20 years... when my bags have disappeared, it's usually been another airlines issue, and Alaska personnel have gone above and beyond to get things right by me.

MattB

WKR
Probably my favorite airline. Even when they (or the airport’s baggage-handling system) screwed up, they have worked hard to make it right.

Probably my favorite airline. Even when they (or the airport’s baggage-handling system) screwed up, they have worked hard to make it right.

Yeah, pretty good airline. I never pay for hunting luggage, or any luggage for that matter. Plus, flights in the past have been very reasonable in terms of using miles. But, I just blew 40,000 miles on my ticket for my upcoming Coues hunt. That sucked. Miles needed sure has climbed since mid April.

Cowbell

WKR
Yeah, direct flights from Anchorage/Fairbanks/Juneau to the Midwest and East Coast don't exist.
Try again. I've had AA for years. For example, I can get direct flights to Bozeman from Dallas when I pay. When I use points, I have to layover in Seattle.

Yeah, Alaska Airlines also offers direct flights with points only (miles), within the continental United States, to the larger metropolitan cities.

I was merely saying that direct flights from Alaska (Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau) to the East Coast and eastern Midwest do not exist.

I've never had to book a two-flight reservation within the contiguous U.S. to a large metro city when using miles, but then again, I've never tried flying to an out-of-the-way destination like Boise or Bozeman.

Yeah, direct flights from Anchorage/Fairbanks/Juneau to the Midwest and East Coast don't exist.
False. I flew anchorage direct to msp this past august. I believe it's a new flight. Not sure how often they will be doing it. I do what ever I can to stay out of the cluster fk seattle airport.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Try again. I've had AA for years. For example, I can get direct flights to Bozeman from Dallas when I pay. When I use points, I have to layover in Seattle.
I just flew Phx to Anchorage direct using miles for a moose hunt. I missed my return flight because I couldn't get out of the bush because of weather. The got me on a different flight home and I paid 0 more dollars.

Last edited:

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Only $3800? Is that correct?

I ask because I thought that most airlines limit reimbursement to something crazy, like $200 per lost bag. I always try to carry-on my optics, so that limits the expensive stuff that has to be checked.

Like most Alaskans, I appreciate Alaska Airlines.

False. I flew anchorage direct to msp this past august. I believe it's a new flight. Not sure how often they will be doing it. I do what ever I can to stay out of the cluster fk seattle airport.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's fantastic. The freaking cluster f**k at Sea-Tac is a pain in the ass, especially trying to find your way from S Terminal to N Terminal.

Generally the best airline I've ever flown with. I have to excuse them for any glitches the past 2-1/2 years due to the pandemic and related economic hurricane we've experienced. My recent itin to-from Fairbanks was one of the best ever, including a non-stop to Anchorage from O-Hare. On the way home it was Fbk to SeaTac and then straight into Columbus....over 3K miles with one stop. I always bring a loaded roll-aboard bag which they willingly let me check free at the gate, all the way to my destination. I probably fly with over $6k worth of gear and I check 100% of it as baggage, no worries.

Voyageur

WKR
I just flew Phx to Anchorage direct using miles for a moose hunt. I missed my return flight because I couldn't get out of the bush because of weather. The got me on a different flight home and I paid 0 more dollars.
I've used AA 4 times and have no complaints with them.
@HuntHarder in case of weather delays, I always book my return flight for 5-7 days after the time I plan to come out of the field, and then if I get out early/on time rebook to an earlier date. Are you saying you got out of the field late, missed your scheduled flight, told them why you missed it, and they rebooked you on a new flight with no extra charge? If I'm understanding you correctly, that is great customer service.