Alaska Bear Episode - My Most Embarrassing TV Moment

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Last year I was hunting a remote island in Southeast Alaska. I've told bit and parts of this story as to why I passed what was probably a B&C bear the first twenty minutes of the hunt. Why? Because if we are to tell a story about hunting it has to actually be a hunt with some story to it. Shooting the first bear in the first place we looked hardly constitutes a "hunting story." The camera guys disagree.

So, I passed thinking we would find that bear again within a few days. Never did I think I would find an even bigger bear further away from camp, but I did.

And never in my life did I think I would rush a shot when a bear starts to get spooky and completely whiff at 200 yards. Yup right under his chest. Airball. Fumble. Choke.

When I see a basketball player miss a layup at a critical time, Blair Walsh shank a 27-yard field goal for the Vikings playoff win, or a golfer ring the cup on a ten-inch putt that would win the round, I now know what they feel like. And here it is for the world to see. I suspect most other shows might put this one in the "round file" for the sake of personal reputations, but I deserve whatever ridicule comes my way.

I wish I could blame equipment. I can't. After the fiasco, the camera crew asked me to shoot at a big old rock with a small barnacle on it, just to confirm the equipment hadn't been at fault. Ranged the rock at 198 and blew the 2" barancle off the rock.

I suspect when my sponsors see this terrible gaff on my part they will wonder why the hell they sponsor a guy who can't hit a Volkswagen-sized bear at a mere two football fields. Needless to say, I have been practicing since then and in later episodes I have redeemed myself with some of my best shots ever, though nothing as stellar as this was embarrassing.

This is a YouTube only clip. It won't be on TV. If this doesn't get you excited to hunt Alaska black bears, I suspect you will never get the itch to hunt black bears.

The good news is that for spring of 2018 I have the same tag where this was filmed. I hope the bear I passed is still alive. He will be a lunker, for sure. The one I missed will probably have died of old age by then.

Enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;gpM0bkgpV2s]https://youtu.be/gpM0bkgpV2s[/video]

Thanks for sharing and being honest Randy :) would have been easy to "accidentally" delete that footage ;-)
I appreciate all you do for hunting - and I bet that experience will be burned in your memory just as much, if not more, then your successful hunts!

Blessings, and good luck this year.

KJH

WKR
I wish I could say that hasn't happened to me!

Good video. Thanks for your post Randy.

I missed an easy shot at a B&C antelope one year at about 250 yards so I can completely understand how something like that can happen. It still haunts me to this day! It happens to the best of us.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know Randy, you missed a bomber buck in CO a couple years ago. Not sure which would be more embarrassing, but I'd definitely be more disappointed missing that buck.

Another awesome video Randy. Sorry for the miss man. I love how you tell it like it is. Honesty is so rare these days. You do it the way it should be done. Thanks for all you do and for sharing your hunts with all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
I really enjoyed the way you did the entire presentation. I would be really proud of that show, even though you were upset with yourself for missing. Thanks Randy.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Glad u tell it like it is. Missed a dang chip shot a few years back on a whitetail doe.... still can't believe it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
Randy, thanks for sharing this!

It was great to meet you at the NRA show and talk about Bozeman for a couple of minutes. It is my dream to move there some day.

-David