Alaska black bear

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey just looking for some input on Alaska spring black bear! A couple of my buddies and myself are looking into an archery diy bear hunt. Mainly just looking for an awesome experience as I've hunted bear in Idaho where I live. We would be doing this on as much of a budget as possible and wanted some opinion. Wondering about the different options, float hunt, spot and stalk? I really don't know much about this but figured I'd start somewhere. This would be hopefully spring of 2021 probably in mid May or so. Would like to get it happening as we're all fairly young and would like to do it while we still have the time.😬 And money 😅

Early spring, bait station or south-facing hillsides/beaches are going to be your best bet...

If you live in Idaho and hunt bears there, the only way I’d hunt AK is spring time on the beaches.

Nossback

FNG
Hey just looking for some input on Alaska spring black bear! A couple of my buddies and myself are looking into an archery diy bear hunt. Mainly just looking for an awesome experience as I've hunted bear in Idaho where I live. We would be doing this on as much of a budget as possible and wanted some opinion. Wondering about the different options, float hunt, spot and stalk? I really don't know much about this but figured I'd start somewhere. This would be hopefully spring of 2021 probably in mid May or so. Would like to get it happening as we're all fairly young and would like to do it while we still have the time. And money

Never done it but there are quite a few podcasts that talk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For an affordable DIY black bear hunt with a lot of opportunities, it would be hard to top renting a cheap vehicle and hunting off the road system on the peninsula. Tons of bears and tons of alpine to glass. There are also numerous trails that will put you into great bear country with just a few mile hike. However, it would be alpine hunting so not much different than staying in ID and hunting high there (besides relative elevation). May 15-20 (giver or take a few days depending on our spring) is the sweet spot down there. The alders, cow parsnip, and devils club hell that you need to climb through is still in check, but the grass above alder line is nice and green. You will be covered in pollen from the alders - literally yellow dust head to toe.

AkandHi

FNG
Just out of curiosity what’s bringing you to Alaska when your bears are much bigger? IMO I would wait till fall and come up for moose bears And or caribou much more of an experience. There’s also good fishing here in the fall for silver salmon... if springs all you can swing kenia peninsula would be good starting point lots of thick brush though.

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity what’s bringing you to Alaska when your bears are much bigger? IMO I would wait till fall and come up for moose bears And or caribou much more of an experience. There’s also good fishing here in the fall for silver salmon... if springs all you can swing kenia peninsula would be good starting point lots of thick brush though.
Maybe you have a better idea for us. The biggest reason we chose alaska bear is we want to get the Alaska experience, also we thought maybe we could do bear for cheaper than a lot of things. Is there other hunts that we could keep the price down on? Spring is definitely the ultimate time for us to go but we could prob make it work in the fall if the opportunity was way better. Like I said I'm not against trying for other animals but we're just trying to get a good fun hunt that doesn't totally break the bank.

AkandHi

FNG
I’m guessing your all flying up and renting a car. 3 people that $1800+ Extra gear for flights car rental $200 plus gas depends where you go. $450 for bear tags. If it were me I would drive up 3000 miles one way 15 miles a gallon $3 gallon that’s $600 or $1200 round trip that saves you $6-800 at least. Now you have your own vehical and can bring more back. I believe the regs state for non-resident if you hold a moose tag you can shoot anything that’s lesser value. So buy a moose tag $800 and bear tag $450. Tag a bear and caribou or moose. 19 months from now saving $200 a month you’ll have $3800 bucks per guy. That’s 11400 for 3 guys You would have one heck of an adventure. Part time job at McDonald’s for that kind of experience count me in haha just sayin. Easily doable. Set a plan and stick with it. I would of pm’d all this but new to this forum and can’t pm yet good luck

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hear yuh. Ya feel free to pm me if u can. Definitely some good info and I appreciate It all. Ya our plan was to drive, different than what most would do but we're all unmarried so wuts a bit more time out? Ya I'm hoping we can get a plan and go for it, I totally think the financial is doable as we all have good jobs. We would all have most the gear so additional cost isn't that big of a deal, maybe just a couple extra hundred bucks. No big deal🙄

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m guessing your all flying up and renting a car. 3 people that $1800+ Extra gear for flights car rental $200 plus gas depends where you go. $450 for bear tags. If it were me I would drive up 3000 miles one way 15 miles a gallon $3 gallon that’s $600 or $1200 round trip that saves you $6-800 at least. Now you have your own vehical and can bring more back. I believe the regs state for non-resident if you hold a moose tag you can shoot anything that’s lesser value. So buy a moose tag $800 and bear tag $450. Tag a bear and caribou or moose. 19 months from now saving $200 a month you’ll have $3800 bucks per guy. That’s 11400 for 3 guys You would have one heck of an adventure. Part time job at McDonald’s for that kind of experience count me in haha just sayin. Easily doable. Set a plan and stick with it. I would of pm’d all this but new to this forum and can’t pm yet good luck
Sent u a pm