Alaska Brown Bear Hunt

OP
D

david long

Thanks Billy and F. Mike.

Les...hard to believe it is only 11 days away....still hasn't sunk in!

The Helium is a shooting machine......just got the Carbon Injexion shafts today....gonna be rigging them up this weekend and will get the Helium fine tuned and ready to Rok!

OP
D

david long

Got the "Bear Killers" built up yesterday......I did a video on building the arrows and will be uploading it to the site. Here is what I ended up with:

Arrow Length: 27 7/8"
FOC: 12.78%
Arrow Weight: 453 grains
Broadhead: 100 gr NAP Deep Six Thunderhead Razor

I installed two 20 gr inserts rather than one in order to give me a little extra weight and to increase the FOC.

arrow1.jpg
arrow2.jpg
arrow3.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome David. Sorry I won't be around to see ya before you jet off to western AK, but maybe I'll catch ya on the return with a bear story to tell.

Those arrows look mean for sure.

That's the same way I increase FOC....two inserts up front. Gives you a little more options for customizing the arrow setup.

OP
B

bearguide

i like the looks of those arrows, can't wait to see them perform

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All right, just got wind David is going on a bear hunt and wanted to wish him luck. I'm afraid he won't know how to use a rifle anymore and won't know where to aim at something without antlers.

BEST of luck to you David!

And good to know we have a bear thread :)

OP
R

rebecca francis

It's almost time David! Are you counting the hours???? I heard a rumor from THE OUTFITTER that he is seeing some big bears!!!!

OP
D

david long

T Minus 4 days! Wow! Almost time! Feeling pretty good.....got the Helium shooting pretty dang good with the custom Rokslide Carbon Injexion shafts. I am setting a very lofty goal of a 10' bear...... but if anyone can get me on one, it is Bill Stevenson.

bearguide.....yes, can't wait to see them perform.

Rebecca.....yes, I heard the same "rumor". Sounds like Bill has seen a few good ones. Bill said to dress warm because there is a LOT of snow this year. I AM PUMPED!

Robby....no rifle.....this bad boy is goin' down with a 453 gr custom Rokslide Carbon Injexion projectile launched out of a finely tuned Mathews Helium! :)

Luke....hopefully we can sit down and have a beer on my way home!

Dead eye

FNG
Good Luck!

Good luck Dave.....What did you think of the pic Scott showed you? When i get time i will post some of the trail cam pics of some big black bears!

Be safe and take lots of pictures

OP
D

david long

Thanks Bill......and yes, that pic was very "interesting"! Pretty cool!

OP
D

david long

bearguide.....yes, in eight hours I head to the airport. I know you are heading up there today as well and Rebecca will be heading up there on Wednesday. Look forward to finally meeting both of you.

Bill said bow hunting will be extremely tough this year because of the great amount of snow. Sounds like we will be using snowshoes. Bill has encouraged me to hold out until the last couple of days of the hunt to allow as much time as possible for the big boys to come out of hibernation.

Gonna tweak my gear list one last time this morning. I will be bringing my 300 Weatherby as well.

One thing is for sure, this will be an adventure I will never forget! It is time!

a3dhunter

WKR
Oh come on David, no reason to cave in and take the rifle!

Just be determined to get it done with the bow, show no fear as you walk into the death zone, with nothing but a carbon stick to stop that charging bear.......!!!

7mag.

WKR
Good luck David. I can't wait to hear the stories, and see the pics. Have a safe trip, and a good time.

OP
D

david long

Thanks guys.....and trust me, I will be determined to take the bear with a bow....but the rifle is still going :)