Alaska Brown Bear Hunt

D

david long

Alaska.......here I come! Heading up north next month to pursue these big beasts! I am stoked! Can't decide whether to use a rifle or a bow; therefore, I may take both.

Booked the hunt with Bill Stevenson's Alaska Outfitters. From what I have seen of Rebecca and bearguide's bears......it should be a great hunt!

OP
B

bearguide

intense hunt, should be right up your alley

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on David, PM me your tentative dates you'll be going/coming through Anchorage and I'll buy ya a brew or a coffee. :D You'll have a blast no doubt. I would love to do a AK Pen brown bear hunt some year.

OP
D

david long

Thanks everyone.....I am waaaay excited!

Bill, I am taking both weapons, but I would sure love to get one with a bow.

Luke, sent you a PM.

Lee, yes, I plan to be there the last ten days of the season. Everyone I talk to says the later the better because the bigger bears are the last ones to come out of hibernation.

Gonna start rigging up the new Mathews Helium this weekend :)

Gonna blow the dust off the .300 Weatherby as well. Been a while since I have messed with a rifle.

OP
D

david long

Thanks Weaver! Fixing to press my bow shortly and put on the new Winner's Choice string & Schaffer Opposition rest :)

Only 4 weeks away!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
David, the Heli-m is a little gem. Was able to set mine up exactly as the Z7, pulled the sight and was spot on for the first arrow! Smoked a turkey with mine this week. Good luck and have fun!

OP
D

david long

Rick, I will be sure to read the 4-phase glassing chapter a few times before going. hehe. I will also tell Bill to put me with his slowest guide:)

Les, I am setting mine up this weekend. Can't wait to sling a few my self.

OP
D

david long

Anyone out there have any suggestions on arrow weight set up, broadheads, etc for brown bears?

OP
B

bearguide

i shot mine with montec, rebecca shot her first one with steel force two blade, and her second one with shuttle t /use a strong fixed blade

OP
D

david long

Muleyman.....trying to get all the details worked out so I can get it filmed.

bearguide....I might try the Montec.