Alaska Caribou Boots

This is my first post, but since I combed through Rokslide forums for hours preparing for my own hunt, I figured I'd try to pay it back a little. I just returned from my first Alaska caribou hunt, and mcseal2 has put up a nice post detailing a lot of what we learned (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/what-i-learned-my-first-caribou-hunt.188704/). One of the biggest questions I had going into the hunt was what boots would be the best choice, and here is what I learned from my own single experience 9 days in the field.

I wore both Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots w/ gaiters and LaCross Alphaburly rubber boots. We hiked through all manner of tussocks, swamp, and some limited bare ground. The Kenetreks and gaiters were far superior in terms of support, especially for walking over the rolling tussocks. However, the Alphaburly's saved me about 30% of my steps by being able to walk through standing water and swamp instead of finding a way around.

Having the option of both boots was excellent, but if I had to choose only one, I'd take the Kennetreks. When heavily waterproofed, I still walked through plenty of ankle deep water, and never had wet feet. The Alphaburlys were more convenient, but after two days of hiking, and packing out caribou both days, I managed to tweak my foot pretty good where it gave me issues if I stepped on something wrong. The Alphaburlys also rubbed more, especially on longer hikes, and I think that wearing only those for 9 days would have given me bad blisters, where I did not have any issue in the Kennetreks.

Walking through the tundra and tussocks was as bad as everyone says. Tussocks are like walking through a gym filled with basketballs and if you step off the ball you land in water anywhere from a few inches to a foot deep. That is made only more interesting when you have a pack full of caribou on your back! Mcseal2 did a post on his Crispi boots (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/crispi-highland-pro-boot.161858/), which were the right mix of support and waterproof for the terrain we were in, but were seriously ugly as hell.

Bottom line, if (when) I go back for Caribou again, if I can only take one pair of boots, I'll take something like the Kenetreks and gaiters. But if I can find 5 extra pounds of room, I'll add the Alphaburlys in as well.

mcseal2

WKR
Welcome to the forum. Nice name too, Big Jake is one of my favorite John Wayne movies.

“Jake” is a college roommate of mine and one of the 3 of us on the caribou hunt I reviewed. He is the one who nailed the caribou twice at 500 yards so be nice to him!

Ono

FNG
That sums up my experience too. Had both, zamberlain 980 outfitter with gaiters performed better for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jboogg

FNG
Nice write up about the boots. It sounds like your hunt was in some lower tundra. Is it safe to assume that the higher tundra is a little easier to walk because of less tussocks?

Nice write up about the boots. It sounds like your hunt was in some lower tundra. Is it safe to assume that the higher tundra is a little easier to walk because of less tussocks?
The tundra is the tundra! A b&&@/$; to walk in! You will find areas that hold more water.

mcseal2

WKR
Where we were the ridgetops were the worst walking. The gaps between tussocks were deeper and it was still wet.

Schnees Guide ADV 13" or 16"
How about these? I think they would really work nicely and give you better ankle and calf support over the Alphaburly's and yet still give you that better protection of waterproofness for your feet and to save steps as you mention. A couple good coats of Montana Pitch Blend of Obenauf's leather treatment periodically is all the leather needs to keep them waterproof.

These boots shown are uninsulated and with good wool blend socks your feet should be pretty darn comfortable in the temperatures you are hunting. If you need a boot like this for colder temperatures the Schnee's Hunter II boot would fit your needs. In my experience with the Hunter II, I find my feet are very comfortable and warm (for those colder hunts). I also do not get blisters or feel like my ankles are not being supported enough. I do not have a pair of the Guide 13" boots yet, but I think that's a purchase I plan on making soon. My feet tend to run hot anyway, and the uninsulated boot would work wonderfully for those slightly warmer temperatures. You can get a couple different soles on the boots but for every type of weather and terrain the air-bob Advantage soles work great in all terrains. A big plus is these boots can be resoled or completely rebuilt!

1606831311149.png1606831311149.png

1606831393980.png1606831393980.png

OP
JakeMcCandles
You are correct that we were generally in lower areas, but like mcseal2 said above, the tussocks actually got worse as we would gain elevation up on higher ridges. There, the tussocks were larger/deeper, with the added challenge of hiking up hill!

I was continually surprised by where we found water - tops of hills, coming out the side of ridges, straight up from the flat ground - everywhere.

Last edited:
OP
JakeMcCandles
Schnees Guide ADV 13" or 16"
How about these? I think they would really work nicely and give you better ankle and calf support over the Alphaburly's and yet still give you that better protection of waterproofness for your feet and to save steps as you mention. A couple good coats of Montana Pitch Blend of Obenauf's leather treatment periodically is all the leather needs to keep them waterproof.

These boots shown are uninsulated and with good wool blend socks your feet should be pretty darn comfortable in the temperatures you are hunting. If you need a boot like this for colder temperatures the Schnee's Hunter II boot would fit your needs. In my experience with the Hunter II, I find my feet are very comfortable and warm (for those colder hunts). I also do not get blisters or feel like my ankles are not being supported enough. I do not have a pair of the Guide 13" boots yet, but I think that's a purchase I plan on making soon. My feet tend to run hot anyway, and the uninsulated boot would work wonderfully for those slightly warmer temperatures. You can get a couple different soles on the boots but for every type of weather and terrain the air-bob Advantage soles work great in all terrains. A big plus is these boots can be resoled or completely rebuilt!

View attachment 237527View attachment 237527

These look like they would work well, especially when paired with good gaiters. The rubber bottom is critical, I think, because of how often you are walking in some amount of water. The Kenetreks have a similar structure.

The nice part about the rubber Alphaburlys was that I didn't worry about them getting soaked and needing to dry out. Even with gaiters on, I tried to avoid fully submerging my Kenetreks. We learned that nothing dries out up there!

OP
JakeMcCandles
What gram insulation were you running?
400 gram.

That turned out to be the right amount. Temps ranged from upper 40s the first day to 10 degrees the last day. With all of the walking, I think 800-1000g may have been too much.

Awesome, thanks! Do you think you would have gone any less? Say a 200g? Do your feet normally run hot or cool? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to plan ahead for when I head up there in a couple years. Trying to figure out if I should budget for different pair of boots.

OP
JakeMcCandles
I think 200g would have been a little light for me. There were several mornings/evenings where the temp dropped well below freezing. I'd rather have boots a little too warm than too cold, especially in the back country.