Alaska Caribou: Is This Possible

Carr5vols

WKR
Question for you all to see if this scenario is possible. I am not cheap just frugal and want to retire early so please dont judge. I have confirmed the cost the question I have is the hunting portion possible.

Fly to Fairbanks RT $650
Fly Wrights Fairbanks to Anak Pass RT $400
Hunting permits $800
Other cost $500
Total hunt $2350
And dont have to deal with haul road rental vehicle situation...

Once in Anak hike north up the valley past the dump to GMU 26 to begin hunting. I have done multiple 12 mile days in Colorado with 50 lbs so the weight and distance I am not concerned with.

First is this possible, second is it a stupid idea. Just want to hunt caribou without affecting my other priorities.

Certainly possible. You'd have to walk far enough to get out of the Gates of the Arctic National Park though.

A big bull is one hell of a load, solo. I've packed a few out in one trip for just a couple miles and it has never been fun, that's just with day gear in my pack.

Tod osier

WKR
Question for you all to see if this scenario is possible. I am not cheap just frugal and want to retire early so please dont judge. I have confirmed the cost the question I have is the hunting portion possible.

Fly to Fairbanks RT $650
Fly Wrights Fairbanks to Anak Pass RT $400
Hunting permits $800
Other cost $500
Total hunt $2350
And dont have to deal with haul road rental vehicle situation...

Once in Anak hike north up the valley past the dump to GMU 26 to begin hunting. I have done multiple 12 mile days in Colorado with 50 lbs so the weight and distance I am not concerned with.

First is this possible, second is it a stupid idea. Just want to hunt caribou without affecting my other priorities.

I'd want some intel on how receptive the citizens of Anaktuvuk Pass would view that. Not that you need to be received with open arms, but the subsistence board testimony I've heard from residents there made it sure seem like they thought the caribou were theirs.

I'd think they don't get too many visitors there too, so visitor resources may be lacking.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I'd want some intel on how receptive the citizens of Anaktuvuk Pass would view that. Not that you need to be received with open arms, but the subsistence board testimony I've heard from residents there made it sure seem like they thought the caribou were theirs.

I'd think they don't get too many visitors there too, so visitor resources may be lacking.

This could be an issue based on the one time I landed there just to throw fuel in the cub. Although it is a beautiful place (one of my favorites in Alaska) and there are a ton of caribou antlers scattered throughout the pass.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
I read some items were hikers land there and go into the park...need to do some research thanks guys.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
12 miles in Alaska is nothing like 12 miles in colorado... I can promise you that if you have never hiked in the tussocks or boggs of Alaska you will be in for a rude awakening. It can be done, but sounds absolutely miserable.

AKBorn

WKR
Hikers would be received a lot different than a hunter, your reception would likely be much chillier if not worse. I think I read somewhere that the Unit 13 Denali Highway area was opening a limitied number of draw tags to non-residents...IF that is indeed true, that would likely be more economical and great country to hunt also.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Hikers would be received a lot different than a hunter, your reception would likely be much chillier if not worse. I think I read somewhere that the Unit 13 Denali Highway area was opening a limitied number of draw tags to non-residents...IF that is indeed true, that would likely be more economical and great country to hunt also.
AKBorn, you are correct. The new non-resident tag you are referring to is DC475. The drawing supplement says they will be issuing 50 of them and the season is Aug 20 - Sep 20, bull only.

Ray

WKR
If this was a reasonable idea, wouldn't it already be exploited by the hunting industry?
Starting off inside a national park on several hundred square miles of private land is not a reasonable idea.
Walking over 25 miles to get out of the national park and off the private land is not a reasonable idea.
Then there is the fact that the village and Arctic Slope Regional Corporations do not issue sport hunting permits on their land. Makes it hard to walk that 25 miles when you are not allowed to touch the ground.