Alaska closes spring bear

NUGGET

WKR
Do you get the skull or hide sealed.......??? Do you ever purchase fuel for any vehicle.......??? Do you ever use a credit card......??? Do you need a license or tag, or any food.....???
Hide sealed is not bear hunting. It is bear sealing.

You can purchase fuel without coming in contact with people.

You can print your bear tag off at your home computer.

What does a credit card have to do with it?

Take food from home.

Why get so worked up about someone’s comment? Spring fever??

Do you get the skull or hide sealed.......??? Do you ever purchase fuel for any vehicle.......??? Do you ever use a credit card......??? Do you need a license or tag, or any food.....???

Many units do not require sealing. Plus you have 30 days in others and I’m sure F&G will extend that til we are past that.

I have to get fuel anyway (I work at a hospital and have to drive to work) pay at pump no contact.

Credit card never touches anyone else. What’s the point?

As mentioned online everything even bait permit. HT, locking tag if needed.

Food? You are saying you have an infinite supply of food and haven’t gone to the grocery store since Covid19 is in Alaska? You have to eat the same regardless of hunting or not so it’s a mute point.

From what I have heard and seen, they have closed millions of national forest acres in OR until the end of Sept. It's not a total closure but NF makes up a lot of ground especially west of 5.
just the maintained facilities, you can still access it all, just not via the maintained entries. you can still hunt pretty much anywhere you want. they just don't want parks or popular spots all crowded like they were getting.

business as usual on the hunting front.... most of the bear are on private timber company anyhow, so even if NF land was closed, it wouldn't be a huge hit to bear hunters.... elk season it would suck, but not for most. I spend most of my elk hunting on NF because most don't like to, so I effectively have a lot of country to myself 😉 there aren't roads everywhere, and the habitat is broad, so it's a lot tougher hunting and you can't see the elk..... they can all clog onto timber company land in Sept, i'll let them have it.

that closure did make me nervous before I looked into it though, but it's not a big deal in reality

We've just had hunting banned in a large portion of Australia. Same has happened in New Zealand. Its the fallow and red deer rut. Guess it would be like hunting whitetails in October being banned.

AKBorn

WKR
Glad you resident hunters can hunt bear this spring! Just a note of caution to some - you can pick up the virus from the gas pump handle or a credit card machine, it can adhere to surfaces for a period of time. not trying to scare anyone, just wanted anyone who didn't already know this to have the awareness.

Glad you resident hunters can hunt bear this spring! Just a note of caution to some - you can pick up the virus from the gas pump handle or a credit card machine, it can adhere to surfaces for a period of time. not trying to scare anyone, just wanted anyone who didn't already know this to have the awareness.

That is true, but that is also true about any number of diseases. What it proves is the need for reasonable risk reduction & good sanitation practices. IMHO do what you can to protect yourself and others, but we must get back to normal sooner rather than later.

Don’t forget one of the best ways to kill the virus is UV rays...spring time in AK...lots of UV rays.

I signed the petition. Subsistence is only for people who live in certain areas

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That rural requirement is for federal subsistence. My understanding within our state is a harvest tag is used for gathering meat. Subsistence.

But Federal land is a bit different vs state land. I know when I target black bear, I intend to eat it. I don’t care about a rug or a mount.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Food? You are saying you have an infinite supply of food and haven’t gone to the grocery store since Covid19 is in Alaska? You have to eat the same regardless of hunting or not so it’s a mute point.

Yes........I have "NOT" been to any store in the last six months. I go to town for supplies once a year, generally mid October.

I go months with no human contact, especially in the winter. I have not been more then a mile from my cabin in the last six months, and that is to hike or snowshoe down the mountain to the mail box. And "Yes" I do decontaminate my mail, and packages as the coronavirus-19 can live on surfaces outside of humans for a period of 36 hours to nine days, depending on the type of surface and the ambient temperature.

Last edited:

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I have to get fuel anyway (I work at a hospital and have to drive to work) pay at pump no contact.

Credit card never touches anyone else. What’s the point?

The virus can and does stay alive for up to nine days on smooth surfaces. Most surfaces it can and does survive for three days. A very few surfaces it survives for only 36 hours. So when you insert your credit card, it gets covered in virus. The key pad has virus, the nozzle has virus, the hose has virus, the button you push to select grade of fuel has virus on it. Did you wear latex gloves, and keep all your clothing from contact with hose or nozzle.......??? Did you wear disposable covers on your shoes, so as not to track the virus on the ground into your vehicle, then into you.

You might want to have a conversation with the staff at the hospital where you are employed about coronavirus-19 on surfaces.

Last edited:
The virus can and does stay alive for up to nine days on smooth surfaces. Most surfaces it can and does survive for three days. A very few surfaces it survives for only 36 hours. So when you insert your credit card, it gets covered in virus. The key pad has virus, the nozzle has virus, the hose has virus, the button you push to select grade of fuel has virus on it. Did you wear latex gloves, and keep all your clothing from contact with hose or nozzle.......??? Did you wear disposable covers on your shoes, so as not to track the virus on the ground into your vehicle, then into you.

You might want to have a conversation with the staff at the hospital where you are employed about coronavirus-19 on surfaces.

Since you haven’t been out or your cabin in six months I let you know that Yes, the gas pumps are wiped down after use, I saw it myself, and I wore gloves and a mask. The point is I have to get gas anyway so going bear hunting or not won’t affect that.

And I am a Dr at the hospital so I guess I should have a conversation with myself? I can’t help people living as a hermit in a cabin....

Last edited:

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan Scott from ADFG called me back. I asked if they were going to refund non-res for their licenses and what not. Its something that they've discussed and would be brought up at the next BOG meeting which I believe he said was this week. I asked what was going to happen with the resident hunters who drew kodiak tags. He said they were looking at pushing them off until next spring.

Ryan Scott from ADFG called me back. I asked if they were going to refund non-res for their licenses and what not. Its something that they've discussed and would be brought up at the next BOG meeting which I believe he said was this week. I asked what was going to happen with the resident hunters who drew kodiak tags. He said they were looking at pushing them off until next spring.

yea I hope what is going to happen at this point is that at the BOG meeting they choose to move all 2020 kodiak bear tags to 21 and all 21 to 22, that way you don't have twice as many afield next spring. that means there wouldn't be a draw for spring bear next yr, but I think it is the best option of a bunch of bad options.

NUGGET

WKR
*edit*. Good luck bear hunting this spring!

Last edited:
Do they already anticipate closing fall season as well?
I don’t think “they” or anyone has a clue what’s going to happen in 4 months. If we open our ports back up, we have to open them to everyone. At this point our advantage of isolation is showing in the numbers when we’re compared to the rest of the US. It doesn’t seem worth the risk to let people just roam in freely until there are some absolutes in place with this virus.
I personally think AK will keep the out of state traveler mandates in place through the fall. I was talking to a good friend today and he’s not getting his hopes up or even planning on nonresident clients for hunting or fishing for 2020 at this point. Time will tell I guess.