Alaska Dall - Backpack Hunt: What Clothing?

BSeals71

WKR
Going on my fist sheep hunt in the Western Alaska Mountain range with Alaska Summit Guide Service.
It's a fly-in backpack style hunt, so I'm trying to balance warmth to weight on what to bring. From what I hear, temps will be 60's - 30's 'F

So far this is what I've decided to take on the hunt:
For rain gear, I have the Sitka Cloudburst jacket and pants.
Insulation layer - Arc'teryx Cerium Hoody (850 down fill)

I'm mainly trying to decide what other top clothing pieces to use.
Below is a list of items I already own.
What else would you pick out for me to bring?

Sitka Jetstream Jacket (soft shell)
Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket (breathable Polartec)
KUIU Kenai Hoody
Sitka Traverse Zip-T (fleece)
Sitka Apex Hoody

Sitka Core Lightweight Crew LS
Sitka Merino Core Lightweight Half-Zip LS
First Lite SS merino wool shirt

I'm going on a similar hint this fall. I will be wearing a synthetic base layer top. Sitka core heavy weight hoody, patagonia nano air jacket which is the same as the kelvin active. And then a synthetic puffy along with my rain gear. I feel like I will be covered in those temps

jwatts

WKR
Here is what I took last year. We hunted outside of Tok. Temps were in the 40s most days, with temps dipping into the 20s at night.

• Clothes
    • 2-FL Llano longsleeve
    • 1- Chama hoody
    • 1- Kanab pants
    • 1- Sawtooth jacket
    • 1- FL neck gaiter
    • 1- FL beanie
    • 2 pr gloves (FL liner and Outdoor Research)
    • 2pr FL Glenbrook bottoms
    • 3pr socks (FL compression and Darn Tough)
    • Cabelas puffy jacket
  • Rain gear- Sitka jacket and First Lite SEAK pants
  • Crocs and Gglacier socks for creek crossing

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Go do some backpacking so you can decide what you like for yourself. I never really understand when people start asking for full equipment lists for their hunt. To me the whole purpose of training is not just to get in shape but to put to use the gear I plan to hunt with, that way I know exactly how it’s goi Nd to perform on my hunt.

gbflyer

WKR
Go do some backpacking so you can decide what you like for yourself. I never really understand when people start asking for full equipment lists for their hunt. To me the whole purpose of training is not just to get in shape but to put to use the gear I plan to hunt with, that way I know exactly how it’s goi Nd to perform on my hunt.

Good advice. Maybe the OP doesn’t backpack in an area with the same kind of weather as one might expect on a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska. I know I would sure be asking for advice from those who have been there.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Good advice. Maybe the OP doesn’t backpack in an area with the same kind of weather as one might expect on a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska. I know I would sure be asking for advice from those who have been there.

I don’t think you need exact conditions to figure out what gear works the best for you. jist think about pants, kuiu attacks work well for me, another guy might hate them, why recommend stuff when the preference is so personal?

Kotaman

WKR
Going on my fist sheep hunt in the Western Alaska Mountain range with Alaska Summit Guide Service.
It's a fly-in backpack style hunt, so I'm trying to balance warmth to weight on what to bring. From what I hear, temps will be 60's - 30's 'F

So far this is what I've decided to take on the hunt:
For rain gear, I have the Sitka Cloudburst jacket and pants.
Insulation layer - Arc'teryx Cerium Hoody (850 down fill)

I'm mainly trying to decide what other top clothing pieces to use.
Below is a list of items I already own.
What else would you pick out for me to bring?

Sitka Jetstream Jacket (soft shell)
Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket (breathable Polartec)
KUIU Kenai Hoody
Sitka Traverse Zip-T (fleece)
Sitka Apex Hoody

Sitka Core Lightweight Crew LS
Sitka Merino Core Lightweight Half-Zip LS
First Lite SS merino wool shirt

You’ve got the rain gear and puffy covered. In your “Group 1“ owned clothing, the only item from that group that I would bring is the Apex Hoodie. I never bring a softshell on a backpack hunt and you already have the other layers covered With the Apex and Puffy.

From your “Group 2” owned clothing, I’d bring the Sitka Core Lightweight LS and the First Lite SS.

Bring you favorite pants a couple pair of underwear and a few pair of socks and you’re good to go on clothing.

OP
BSeals71

BSeals71

WKR

Hi thinhorn_AK

I’ve done a lot of backpacking & backpack style hunts, just in the Rocky Mountains & Sierra Nevada’s, never in Alaska before. I live in South Carolina. I was mainly just trying to learn from other sheep hunters (this is my first sheep hunt) what they suggest for top clothing layers going in these conditions. Nothing more.

OP
BSeals71

BSeals71

WKR
You’ve got the rain gear and puffy covered. In your “Group 1“ owned clothing, the only item from that group that I would bring is the Apex Hoodie. I never bring a softshell on a backpack hunt and you already have the other layers covered With the Apex and Puffy.

From your “Group 2” owned clothing, I’d bring the Sitka Core Lightweight LS and the First Lite SS.

Bring you favorite pants a couple pair of underwear and a few pair of socks and you’re good to go on clothing.

Thank you, really appreciate the help and confirmed my thinking. I’ll leave the soft shell jacket at home.

Snyd

WKR
Just don't pack a bunch of extra clothes. The only "extras" I pack on a 10-12 day hunt are one pair skivvies, 2 pair socks and one set light nylon base layer. Everything else you should be able to layer up and put it all on at once if needed like having to siwash a night away from your tent and sleeping bag. If you can't wear it all at once it's not needed IMO. I (like others) have been on hunts that started at 75 degree and 2 days later is was snowing.

Have a great hunt!

Just don't pack a bunch of extra clothes. The only "extras" I pack on a 10-12 day hunt are one pair skivvies, 2 pair socks and one set light nylon base layer. Everything else you should be able to layer up and put it all on at once if needed like having to siwash a night away from your tent and sleeping bag. If you can't wear it all at once it's not needed IMO. I (like others) have been on hunts that started at 75 degree and 2 days later is was snowing.

Have a great hunt!
I absolutely agree with this. In fact, I can honestly say that 100% of the clothes that I take on a mountain hunt I wear, and I probably wear 50-75% of those clothes, 100% of the time. If that makes sense.

Snyd

WKR
I absolutely agree with this. In fact, I can honestly say that 100% of the clothes that I take on a mountain hunt I wear, and I probably wear 50-75% of those clothes, 100% of the time. If that makes sense.

Yup, makes perfect sense.

The challenge is not so much staying warm as it is staying cool!

Roughout

FNG
I was in your shoes last summer with very similar gear to chose from. I ended up on the hill in a Kuiu SS merino, core lightweight hoody, and Jetstream (plus rain and puffy)Was glad I had a wind blocking layer. I lived in jetstream, opened pits and hiked a few times with precipitation and wind I never over heated. Was there last week or so of August in Alaska range. I went w mountain pant over timberline, I probably wouldn’t do that again as they do not block any wind.

I’d say take soft shell to camp, you can always leave it. But you may get first gust of cold air and be glad you had it like I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm usually sheep hunting the last week of Aug or first week of Sept. My sheep layers are:
200 gr merino LS
250 gr merino qtr zip LS
Microgrid fleece qtr zip
Synthetic puffy
KUIU Chugach rain jacket

I added the fleece after freezing my arse off on my previous sheep hunt. Last year was pretty warm and I still found myself fully layered up numerous times.

Soft shell is "nice" but is just extra weight. Leave it at home and use the weight savings on a heavy pair of waterproof ski gloves. Synthetic puffy pants were my greatest addition to my sheep gear last season. A better use of weight than the soft shell imo.

Stid2677

WKR
I hunt the North side of the Brooks quite a bit. Not a fan of a softshell on sheep hunts. The only clothes I bring that I don't wear, is a spare set of midweight fleece top and bottom underwear and 2 pairs of socks. The extra fleece and a pair of socks are for sleeping and as a spare if I get wet or need an extra layer. If I take a swim, I wear the extra fleece and my rain gear until my other stuff dries. All socks and underwear are black,, black dries way faster when laid out and sucks up heat better. One item I really like and use a lot, is a wind shirt. I own many, most are 4 ozs. My biggest issue is over heating when moving and getting sweaty, The windshirt blocks wind and even though I sweat in it, once we stop, I remove the wind shirt and snap the sweat off it. It dries fast while we glass, also allows me to throw on my puffy without getting it wet like it does when I have a sweaty shirt on. The wind shirt makes a nice wind blocking layer too.

Qq9oVMJh.jpg

I hunt the North side of the Brooks quite a bit. Not a fan of a softshell on sheep hunts. The only clothes I bring that I don't wear, is a spare set of midweight fleece top and bottom underwear and 2 pairs of socks. The extra fleece and a pair of socks are for sleeping and as a spare if I get wet or need an extra layer. If I take a swim, I wear the extra fleece and my rain gear until my other stuff dries. All socks and underwear are black,, black dries way faster when laid out and sucks up heat better. One item I really like and use a lot, is a wind shirt. I own many, most are 4 ozs. My biggest issue is over heating when moving and getting sweaty, The windshirt blocks wind and even though I sweat in it, once we stop, I remove the wind shirt and snap the sweat off it. It dries fast while we glass, also allows me to throw on my puffy without getting it wet like it does when I have a sweaty shirt on. The wind shirt makes a nice wind blocking layer too.

Qq9oVMJh.jpg

What’s that hanging under your arm Steve(caliber/make)? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk